‹ Prequel: United

Divided

Power

We started off in silence. I could tell that Tetra had transformed recently. Her skin was glowing and she looked significantly more optimistic. I had read that was common after a werewolf hunts. Did she hunt?

“I ran,” she said and I jumped.

“Can you read my mind?”

“Nope,” she said. “But I can see it in your face. I ran. I don’t like hunting.”

“Why not?” I asked.

She sighed. “I hate taking the life of another animal,” she explained. “Because that’s what I am when I hunt: an animal. I may have a human’s mind, but my body acts on animalistic instincts. I feel like a murderer; like when a man kills another man.”

I nodded. “It makes sense.”

“Do you… hunt?”

I smiled a little. “Not exactly. Our blood is provided for us.”

“From where?” she asked.

“Servants,” I answered. “They give it willingly, though.”

“What about other animals?”

“We can,” I said, avoiding a small hole in the earth. “It doesn’t give us any nourishment, though. It’s more of a splurge than anything else. Kind of like a snack.”

She nodded. We stopped talking mostly because we were walking up a slope. Elder Donne had warned me of this. There were three slopes before we would have to climb the mountain. From our side of the mountain, the going was easier than the other sides. I looked up and saw the base of the mountain. It looked like quite the climb.

As we walked, I pondered what I had been told.

“Are you serious?” I asked, staring at the elders and my mother.

They nodded.

“But you have to wait,” Elder Maria said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because if you do it too soon, then we run the risk of it not working,” Elder Donne said.

“Of what not working?”

Elder Arlan sighed. “Elder Yovel is the result of Bardawulf impregnating a werewolf.” I fell into my seat. “In one month, Bardawulf is going to look for his next… victim. He is certain it is young Tetra. The only way to keep her safe is to have her lay with her soulmate.” He ran a hand through his hair. “We would like to keep her here but… everything considered, she should go with you.”

“What if it doesn’t work?” I whispered. “Will she die?”

“Yes,” Elder Maria said, crying some more.

I sighed. “I understand. But when will I know it’s safe?”

“You’ll feel it,” Elder Donne said.

“Are you sure?”

“Trust us, Prince Jacob,” Arlan said, “just as we are trusting you.”

“Very well,” I said.


I wonder how many dragons there are, Icefire said.

She had been forbidden to say anything to Tetra. The elders didn’t want her to speed things up. I felt nervous about this one month deadline but, if what they said and what I read was true, everything would be okay. Our main concern should be whatever is in the north threatening people’s lives.

“I hope many,” Tetra said, watching with a smile as Icefire flew circles in the sky.

I am so glad there are more like me!

“So are we,” I said, smiling as well. “But if you keep flying like that you’ll wear yourself out. Settle down.”

She puffed out smoke but settled onto my shoulder. She had already started growing. She no longer fit in the palm of my hand. Her tail was able to snake around my neck and that’s where she clung whenever I stumbled a few times on the rough terrain.

It didn’t surprise me that Tetra didn’t have much trouble as we continued up the slope. When we reached the plateau, we took a break. We sat down and I handed her some fruit.

“Are you excited?” she asked while we ate.

I looked at Icefire who had fallen asleep.

“Yes,” I said. “Though I worry that, once she sees her own kind, she’ll want to stay.”

“She said you are her family,” Tetra said quietly. “I’m sure she’ll want to stay with you. She loves you.”

I smiled as Icefire shifted so that her head was resting on my collarbone.

Suddenly, the air went tense and Tetra jumped to her feet, glaring at something over my shoulder. I heard a low growl and turned. My jaw dropped. We were being surrounded by eight large wolves. Icefire woke with a start and flapped her wings threateningly. I heard a strange snarling and cracking noise and looked behind me.

I gasped.

Where Tetra was standing was a beautiful, large white wolf. I only knew it was Tetra because of the eyes. As Tetra approached the largest wolf, I could feel the enormous power she was putting off. Her lips were curled as a strong growl emanated from her chest.

The other wolf was matching her growl and they circled each other a little. The wolf barked and snapped his teeth but Tetra didn’t respond. Icefire settled on my head but she was hissing. I put my hand on the hilt of my sword just in case.

Out of nowhere, the wolf lunged for Tetra. I almost ran forward but should have known not to worry. With one swipe of her paw, the wolf flew ten feet until it tumbled down the slope we just walked up. It landed below with a yelp we barely heard. Tetra lifted her head and snarled at the remaining wolves. Slowly, they regrouped and then ran away.

Tetra turned her back to me and I frowned, wondering why, until she transformed. She was completely naked and I turned red.

“In my bag is some clothing,” she said. “Will you bring me some, please?”

“Uh- Yeah, of course,” I said and rushed to the bag.

I found trousers, a loose shirt, and some undergarments. I passed them to her and turned my back as she redressed.

“That was fascinating,” I breathed as she walked back over then frowned. “Your hair….”

“I know,” she said, picking up her bag. “Since I was a human, every time I transform my hair will turn the color of my fur. Since I am a white wolf, it turns white. Eventually, it will be forever white.”

“Does that mean you’ll get hurt?” I asked.

“No,” she said. “I’ll be fine.”

“Okay,” I said. “Are you all right?”

She scoffed. “Those wolves were nothing,” she said and I laughed. “Seriously, though. Their pack leader’s biggest threat was killing me. I could’ve sat on him and killed him.”

We both laughed as we continued walking. I was stunned after seeing her transform. In her human form, she was small and didn’t seem very strong. As a wolf, though, she was large and you could see the muscles pulling under her fur. Now I knew why Elder Donne said I wouldn’t need my sword very often.