‹ Prequel: United

Divided

The Ruins

Hundreds of blue dragons flew around us. Those nearest us stopped and let out small squeals when they saw Icefire. She hid behind my neck and under my hair, looking around nervously. A large blue dragon landed in front of us and I stumbled, leaning onto Tetra to stop myself from falling.

“Who are you?” it demanded. I could tell it was a male.

“My name is Prince Jacob,” I said in a confident voice. “This is Tetra and this little thing is Icefire.”

“Come out, Icefire.” The pocket dragon did slowly, shaking a little. “How old are you, little one?”

T-Two weeks.

“Do not be frightened. You are home.”

She shook her head and licked my cheek. This is my father. He is my home.

The dragon looked at me and I stepped back in fear.

“What magic have you used to trick this dragon?”

He has used no magic, Icefire said. I was poached and his parents found me. He has taken care of me.

I frowned at her. “Why didn’t you tell me you were poached!?”

“You were unaware?”

“If I had known I would have found the men and killed them!” I shouted and the dragon stared.

“You love this dragon.”

“Of course I do,” I said and she purred, nudging my nose.

“This wolf… it is a werewolf, is it not?”

“Yes.”

“Why is it still transformed?”

“She will freeze,” I answered. “It is much too cold up here for that.”

He nodded. “Follow me, Prince Jacob Dragomir.”

“You know my full name?” I asked but he didn’t answer.

He turned around and led us further up the summit. Beside me, it was obviously getting harder for Tetra to walk. I remembered her saying transforming was exhausting. Was she running out of steam?

We went over a small hill to a place that made my skin tingle. Tetra and I both froze and her hand stood on end. She curled her lip and began to snarl. The dragon turned his head. He seemed to frown at how I also drew my sword.

“What bothers you? This is our home.”

“The magic you are using,” I said. “It is sinister.”

The dragon stared. “It will not harm you. Come in and I will explain.”

I glanced at Tetra. Her hair was down and she was no longer snarling. I doubted it was because she trusted the dragon; especially when she stumbled.

We must go in, Icefire said. Mother cannot stand being like this much longer.

Damn it, Icefire!

I felt Tetra’s stare but I sheathed my sword and followed the dragon. I shuddered as the magic touched my skin. Tetra whimpered in pain. When we were in the fortress, it was surprisingly warm. Her body immediately transformed and Icefire snatched a blanket to put over her. Tetra was unconscious and I ran to her.

She is just exhausted, Father.

“Are you sure?” I snapped.

I promise. And I am sorry for giving it away. I was worried about her.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.

“Maybe she won’t remember,” I mumbled.

Or maybe now is the time, she said softly.

The large dragon cleared his throat and we looked up at him.

“We have a fire above to care for the werewolf.”

I picked her up and Icefire helped me wrap the blanket tightly around Tetra’s shaking body. Her body was like a ragdoll in my arms and I was feeling nervous. What if she died? What if she was having that dream already?

Do not panic, Father. You only hurt yourself.

“I know,” I mumbled, following the dragon up a small staircase. “I can’t help it, Ice. I’m in love with her.”

I know, Father.

When we got to the second floor, there was a large fire raging and I rushed to it, sitting and putting Tetra in my lap. A few more blue pocket dragons and young normal dragons were watching us. I was nervous. The magic was still prickling my skin but it wasn’t as bad. I watched as almost half of Tetra’s hair turned white.

“What is your name?” I asked the large dragon.

“I am Ezekiel, father of the blue dragons.”

“Why have you cast this evil magic?” I demanded.

He blew out smoke like Icefire did when she was sighing.

“It is to protect us from your kind.”

“What?”

“Our race was almost extinct thousands of years ago,” he said and I looked at Icefire. She was cooing and stroking Tetra’s head with her tail. “We fled to the south but we could not survive. It was too hot. We returned and found this ruined tower. It once held worshipers of the god Bardawulf. They tried to kill us and we were forced into war. We easily overcame them.”

“Wait,” I said, jumping to my feet. “We can’t be here. Bardawulf, he has something planned for Tetra and-”

“Calm yourself, prince,” Ezekiel said. “Bardawulf is gone. We purged the ruin of his hateful influence. What does he have planned?”

Briefly, I explained about his desire to impregnate her. I’m sure that, if he had the ability to, he would be frowning.

“Then why have you not consummated?”

I turned pink. “She does not love me.”

“Are you certain?”

I looked down at Tetra’s sleeping form. I held her closer and she turned to face me, a small smile on her face as she gripped my shirt.

“No, I’m not,” I mumbled. “I don’t know how to ask her….”

“You may stay until she is better,” he said and I nodded, still looking at Tetra. “Icefire, mingle with your kind. When your time is up, you can decide then if you really want to leave.”

With all due respect, Ezekiel, I am staying with my mother and father.

“That is fair. Young prince, rest with the human-wolf. You are safe.”

He speaks the truth, Father, Icefire said when I hesitated. I will watch over both of you.

“Okay,” I mumbled and pulled one of the packs over to use as a pillow.

It was still cold from outside but the fire was starting to warm it up. I settled in and pulled Tetra close to me. Though Icefire assured me it was safe, I was still suspicious. And I liked having her close to me. It still took me a while to sleep, though. To think we were in a place that Bardawulf worshipers once inhabited….

Icefire sensed that I was awake and curled up on my neck. She purred and hummed a little lullaby until my eyes drifted shut.