‹ Prequel: United

Divided

Back Home

Tetra whimpered in her sleep. I rubbed my face. Holy shit that was terrifying.

“What happened?” Ezekiel asked.

“We-We made love,” I said, running my hand through my hair. “Then she fell asleep and started screaming and thrashing. I was trying to wake her up when suddenly long gashes appeared on her stomach and thighs. I couldn’t think what could be happening.”

“Why did she say she had a month?”

“That was when she was supposed to have that dream or nightmare or whatever it was,” I sighed. “I think it happened early because we’re here. That or because she and I….”

I shut my eyes and shook my head.

She will be okay, Father. Let us take her home.

I frowned at Icefire. “Don’t you want to stay?”

She rolled her eyes and flew onto my shoulder. She licked my cheek. I just realized I was crying.

How many times must I tell you? You are my home. You and Mother. Besides, I have met my kind.

“She has been given permission to visit whenever she wishes,” Ezekiel told me. He was looking at Tetra. “Before you leave, you need to know that the wolves… they are planning something.”

“How do you know?”

“Icefire,” he said and I looked at the pocket dragon. She hung her head. “She can sense things, Prince Jacob. That is our special trait.”

“What are they planning?” I asked but he shook his head.

“We do not know. It involves the humans, though. Perhaps that Tetra can find out. I know that, whatever it is, it poses a threat on all races.”

“I understand,” I sighed. “I don’t know how I’m going to get her down there, though.”

Ezekiel stood up. “Clothe her then meet me outside.”

I watched as he and the other dragons flew through the top of the ruin.

I am sorry I did not tell you, Father, Icefire said as we dressed Tetra in some of my clothing so it would be looser and not agitate her wounds. I did not know what I was feeling.

I stroked her spine and she nudged my face.

“It’s quite all right, Icefire,” I said. “But we really need to get Tetra back home and speak with Elder Yovel.”

I lifted her and Icefire gripped the two bags in her paws. She flew with difficulty down the stairs since she was still too small for such a large burden. When we got outside, Ezekiel was lying in the snow. I frowned as he looked up at me.

“Climb on,” he said. “We will take you to the final slope. I do not want to be visible for too long.”

“Thank you,” I said, sighing in relief as I climbed onto his back with difficulty. “Is that why no one saw you when they came to investigate? Your magic hid you?”

“Yes. Are you ready?”

I made sure that Tetra was safe and that I had a good hold with my knees.

“Yes.”

Icefire put the bags over my shoulders and flew beside Ezekiel’s head. He flapped his wings a few times and I gasped as we were lifted into the air. It was amazing. He flew around the ruins, speaking in a language I didn’t understand to the other dragons. I imagined he was telling them what he was doing. Finally, he flew down carefully. When we got to the slope, he slowed down.

“Forgive me but you will have to jump. There is not enough room for me to land.”

“I understand,” I said and looked down.

He was hovering about ten feet from the ground and I prepared myself for the impact, holding onto Tetra tightly. I took a deep breath and slid off, bending my knees in time to take in most of the impact.

“Thank you,” I said to the dragon. “I will speak with my elder. Hopefully things can change with us.”

“I would like that, Prince Jacob. Goodbye, Icefire.”

She flew up and bumped her head to his. I walked down the slope. I wanted to run but I risked dropping Tetra.

“Tell me about your time with your friends,” I said to Icefire as she glided beside me.

It was fascinating, Father! They were very kind. I was scared first, you see. But they accepted me happily. Some of them had seen me being stolen and were glad to see I was being taken care of. Ezekiel is very fond of you.

I smiled. “Icefire, why did you not tell me you were stolen?”

She puffed smoke out of her nostrils. I am ashamed, Father.

“Icefire, you were still in your egg! What could you have done to change that!?”

I know that now. I made some friends. They taught me some tricks that I will show you when things… calm down.

“I can’t wait,” I smiled.

“I can’t, either,” Tetra said in a hoarse voice and I looked down.

“How long have you been awake?” I asked.

“Since you jumped off Ezekiel,” she said, leaning her head against my chest. “I’m so tired but I can’t sleep.”

“It’s probably your body regenerating all the blood you lost,” I said. “We’re almost to the palace. Can you see?”

She looked and her face split into a grin. “I am excited to see Catherine again.”

“First we have to speak to the elders,” I said. “It’s one thing to visit dragons; it’s another to know your dream happened three weeks too soon.”

“Maybe Elder Yovel didn’t remember correctly,” she yawned.

“Maybe,” I said but I still stood by what I said.

Elder Donne was outside the palace talking to guards when he saw us. His jaw dropped when he saw Tetra. I looked down and swore loudly. Her wounds had reopened.

“The Meeting Hall,” Elder Donne said before I could speak. “I will bring bandages there and send word to the elders.”

I nodded and kept walking but I was worried.

“I’m bleeding again, aren’t I?” she asked.

“Yes,” I said. “I’m so sorry. I must have opened your wounds when I got off of Ezekiel.”

“It’s okay,” she said. “They’ll take care of me.”

I didn’t answer. We were at the Meeting Hall and Icefire opened the doors for us. To my surprise, all the elders aside from Donne were already there.

“Tetra!” Elder Maria cried. “What happened?”

“Let’s wait for Elder Donne to get here,” I sighed. “He’s bringing things to clean her wounds.”

“Wounds?” Elder Yovel asked. “What happened to her!? I trusted you!”

“Just wait,” Tetra said weakly. “Please, Elder Yovel.”

He nodded but he was still glaring at me. I was getting tired but I refused to sleep until I knew Tetra was going to be okay.

Elder Donne arrived moments later with my parents. My mother was holding medicine and my father bandages.

“Put her on the table,” Elder Donne instructed. “And tell us what the hell happened.”

When I took the clothes off, though, Elder Yovel erupted into sobs.

“No!” he cried. “No, Tetra!”

“He did not impregnate me,” she said hoarsely, wincing as my mother applied the medicine on her wounds.

“What do you mean?” he asked and Tetra held her hand out to me.

I held it tightly.

“Because I had lain with my soulmate,” she said.

He looked confused for a second before suddenly pulling me into a hug. He was gripping me so hard I was afraid I’d break in half.

“Er….”

“Come on, Yovel,” Elder Donne said. “Calm yourself down. She’ll be okay.”

“Okay?” he repeated and pointed at her. “Look at her!”

“He tried,” Tetra said. “But, in the… dream or whatever it was, Prince Jacob and Icefire stood between us. It was like they scared him off or something.”

Elder Yovel nodded. “He is your soulmate and you came together before Bardawulf was able to-”

“Back up,” I said, snapping and they all jumped to look at me. “You said we had a month! It’s only been a week!”

“Yes I know,” he said. “I don’t know why he came early. The only thing I can figure is that he sensed there was something different after you two mated.”

“The wolves are planning something,” Tetra said suddenly and everyone stared at her. “Ezekiel said it has something to do with the humans.”

“The werewolves?” Yovel asked and she nodded. “What in the world could they be planning?”

We both shook our heads and an uncomfortable silence filled the Hall.

“What will happen with Bardawulf?” my father asked. “Will he find another to impregnate?”

“I don’t know,” Yovel answered. “He’s never been denied before.”

“Are these marks normal?” my mother asked.

“I’m afraid so,” he sighed. “Bardawulf is always rough with the female wolf. That is just the beginning.”

“Can I see Catherine, please?” Tetra asked.

“Of course,” I said. “Do you want me to take you to her or bring her here?”

Tetra considered it. “Can I walk on my own?” she asked Yovel.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “He may not have impregnated you, but the wounds are still there. It will take a while to heal from such damage caused by a god.”

“Why do you worship him!?” she shouted suddenly and he cringed. “I get that he’s your father but look what he’s done to me! Look what he did to your mother!”

Yovel sighed and sat beside her, holding her hand.

“We don’t have a choice, my dear. That’s what it comes down to. Not all gods and goddesses are good. If we were to try and denounce him, he would kill us and make us suffer for all eternity.”

“It sounds miserable,” Elder Maria muttered.

“We’ll summon Catherine and Evan to the vampire palace,” Elder Yovel said. “Can she recover there?”

“That’s where I was going to suggest,” my mother said. “I know the humans have remedies but these are reinforced with magic so they can heal quicker.”

“I understand,” Maria said. “Let’s get her somewhere she can rest comfortably.”