‹ Prequel: United

Divided

The Throne Room

“Ah, a wedding,” Elder Donne said the next morning.

I was seated in my father’s throne, trying to straighten the crown I had to wear. I was too nervous, though. I wasn’t nervous about talking with the people. I had been doing that for so many years now it was second nature. No. My nerves were focused on the young woman in my bed.

Eventually, tired of my fidgeting, Icefire sat on top of the crown and I tried to swat her off but she sat resolutely.

“Yes,” I breathed. “A wedding.”

“Do you regret the proposal?” he asked with a frown.

“No!” I said quickly. “No, not at all. I love Tetra very much. The idea of marriage is terrifying, though.”

Elder Donne nodded. “I understand. We will leave that conversation for you and your father, however. Today you need to focus on the villagers. You have three that have planned to come during the day. As you know, others will come in when they choose to, so keep your mind focused.”

“Right,” I said and right away someone walked in.

Elder Donne stood to the right and back a little from my throne so he could put his left hand on my shoulder in support. I was glad I had it. I know he, too, appreciated my openness to his counsel. Mother and Father still refused to tell me why they hadn’t so many years ago, but I was starting to get used to being left in the dark.

“Good morning,” I said cheerfully at the little girl who was curtsying.

When she looked up, she erupted into giggles.

“I like your dragon,” she said, her voice high pitched just as an older woman ran in.

“I told you to wait for me!” she said in a frazzled voice.

“Look, Mommy!” the young vampire said. “He has a dragon on his head!”

The mother looked mortified. “Yes, I see. Remember what I said, though? Be on your best behavior!”

“Sorry,” she pouted.

“It’s quite all right,” I laughed. “Icefire says hello and she really likes your pretty blue dress.”

The little vampire turned a brilliant shade of red as she looked at the dress. In truth, it wasn’t very pretty. It was tattered and faded. The mother had tears in her eyes. I frowned a little, taking in their appearance. Now that I thought about it, I didn’t even recognize these two people in front of me.

“What are your names?” I asked, sitting straighter.

The mother cleared her throat. “My name is Isabelle,” she said with a curtsy. “This is my daughter, Suzanna.”

“You’re not from here,” I said slowly.

Elder Donne inhaled sharply and leaned forward.

“They were attacked,” he whispered. “By a rogue vampire, I think.”

Suddenly, Icefire flew off my head and onto the little girl’s. She erupted into giggles. She reached up to grab the dragon but she flew off, teasing her. Suzanna laughed in delight when Icefire duplicated herself, surrounding Suzanna and displaying different tricks. I beckoned Isabelle closer.

“Who was responsible?” I asked and Isabelle stared at her feet.

“I do not wish to cause trouble,” she said in a small voice. “I just came to see if you had room in your village for us.”

“Of course we do,” I said. “But you need to tell us the name of the vampire. This is against the law, Isabelle.”

“He never said his name,” she whispered. “He-He turned us then abandoned us.”

I nodded slowly. “I see. Let me first apologize for his actions. We will find him and he will be reprimanded.”

She blushed and glanced at her daughter. “That is not necessary, Your Highness. I’m sure he was just… acting on impulse and-”

“Were you on the human side of the barrier or ours?” I asked, biting my lip.

“The human side,” she said and I did my best to contain myself.

“I understand,” I whispered and beckoned for Elder Donne to lean over. “Make a notice to send out to people. Don’t say why we want to know, but ask people to come forward if they’ve been to the human realm in the last 30 days.”

“Yes, your Highness,” he said softly.

Isabelle was crying. “Really,” she said. “It’s not-”

“Is there something you’re not telling us?” I interrupted but she shook her head. “Then why don’t you want us to investigate it?”

“May I?” Elder Donne asked and I nodded. “It is my thought that this vampire threatened them. Am I correct?” he asked Isabelle who stared at the floor.

That was answer enough, though, and I shook my head.

“We’ll keep you protected, Isabelle,” I promised. “You and your daughter. Now, we have a house not far from the palace where you and your daughter can stay. Do you have any special talents?”

“I can cook,” she said, perking up at the promise of a home.

“Okay. We have a small inn. It’s quite a way down the village but I’m sure they’d welcome the extra hands. For when you are working, young Suzanna can play with the other village kids her age. They are supervised so you don’t have to worry about anyone getting hurt. Also…. Er….”

Isabelle had thrown herself on my feet and was kissing the hem of my robes. I looked at Elder Donne who shook his head, clearly telling me to let her do it.

“Thank you,” she cried into the floor. “Thank you for your generosity! You are nothing like they say!”

I frowned. “Like who say?”

She sniffled as she stood up, wiping her tears away. Suzanna came back over, Icefire hanging from her neck with her tail. Suzanna’s face was red with laughter and Icefire licked her cheek before flying back onto my head.

“I-I ran into some werewolves on the way here,” she admitted.

“Did you get names?” I asked casually.

“One of them was named Josiah,” she said, “which I found interesting because I had a cousin named Josiah. I didn’t know two races shared common names. Although, now I know your name is Jacob, that blows that surprise out of the water.”

I smiled kindly. “Yes, it’s always fascinating to learn about new races. I will send someone to your home to teach you and your daughter our ways since your… turner left you.”

“Thank you,” she repeated and curtsied. “Curtsy, Suzanna. The prince has been kind enough to give us a home.”

Suzanna gasped and, instead of curtsying, she threw her arms around my knees. I laughed and smiled reassuringly at Isabelle when she looked embarrassed.

“Thank you!” she said in her high voice.

“You are welcome,” I said. “The guard by the door will see you to your house.”

Isabelle picked her daughter up and kissed her cheek as they left. When the door shut, I pounded my fist on the throne arm rest.

“How many times have we forbidden it!?” I shouted. “And to do it in the human realm!”

Elder Donne sighed. “I know, Prince Jacob. I will speak with Elder Maria, as well. Perhaps she has seen vampires that slipped in and out of the realm.”

I nodded. “See if she knew the two, as well. If she did, I want her to come and see them.” I shook my head. “I don’t want her to do what she did to Tetra and just abandon her.”

“Jacob,” Elder Donne snapped and I jumped at his tone. He came around to stand in front of me. He pointed at me with his left hand. “Don’t you ever say that again! Maria did not want her to go to the wolf realm.”

I frowned. “She didn’t? Then why didn’t she stop her!?”

He sighed. “Because she was informed too late,” he said. “When a human is turned into a werewolf, the ritual is not instantaneous like with a vampire. It takes three days. Whoever attacked Tetra did it in the dead of night and in secret. From what I understand, one of the alphas of the nearest clan was hunting nearby and took care of the rogue wolf.” He shook his head. “He got to Maria too late.”

I sighed, too. “Please forgive me for speaking against her. I just…. I love her, Elder Donne, and to know that her kind abandoned her for something that wasn’t her fault….”

“I understand,” he promised. “We have two more people coming in but I will draw up those notices. How do you want them to come across?”

I thought for a few moments.

“Make it seem like we’re making a census,” I said finally. “Don’t make it seem like anything accusatory. That will scare whoever it was off and make them avoid putting their name on the list.”

“As you say,” he bowed.