‹ Prequel: United

Divided

Ball

Every year for my birthday my parents would throw a massive party. My grandfather magically enhanced the size of our ballroom so it was large enough to hold all of our guests. We invited people from each realm and I enjoyed seeing the mingling races. I knew my parents were responsible for the peace between the elves and vampires but they didn’t give me many specifics.

Icefire woke back up as I was preparing for the party. I pulled on the collar of my shirt.

“I hate these ruffles,” I muttered to myself.

Would you like help? she asked, flying lopsided to my hands.

I arched a brow. “How can you help?”

She extended her claws and, suddenly, the ruffles lay at the floor in shreds. I laughed loudly and looked in the mirror.

“Much better,” I said. “I look normal now. Thank you.”

You are normal, are you not?

I sighed as she sat on my shoulder, her back straight and her tail swinging on my back. I pulled my black jacket straight.

“No, Icefire, I’m not,” I said and gave her a brief rundown of my heritage. “I am the first and only of my kind.”

That sounds quite lonely.

I just nodded and someone knocked on my door.

“Seriously?” my mother groaned when she saw the fabric shredded on the floor.

I smiled innocently while Icefire purred loudly. My mother just rolled her eyes and wrapped her arm around mine.

“It’s time to meet your guests,” she said as we walked down the stairs. “What will Icefire eat?”

I looked to the dragon curiously. Like I had said, I’ve never read of a blue dragon before.

Fruits and meats, Grandmother.

I told her and she blushed.

“Did she call me grandmother?” she squeaked after I passed the message along and I laughed.

“Well, I am her father,” I pointed out and nudged her gently.

“Can you have a platter of meat and fruits placed by my son’s plate?” she asked the nearest servant who stared at Icefire with her jaw dropped.

“Y-Yes of course,” she gasped and hurried to the kitchens.

I arched a brow at my mother. “You did not warn the servants?”

She blushed and pulled at her hair a little. “I was too excited! I forgot!”

I laughed as we walked into the ballroom. All the guests were sitting but stood when we entered. I smiled at them all as we walked to the large table where my grandparents, my father, and Elder Donne sat. Whispers filled the room at the sight of the dragon and she shifted.

Why do they stare, Father?

I waited until I was seated and conversation struck up again.

“Because you are blue, Icefire,” I said. “Blue dragons are uncommon.”

Like you?

I smiled sadly as a platter was passed to me.

“Yes, Icefire. Just like me.”

She floated down to the table beside the plate and ate with gusto.

“Slow yourself down there,” I laughed. “You’ll make yourself sick.”

Yes, Father.

She sounded embarrassed so I ran my finger down her spine. She purred and continued her meal.

“Fascinating,” Elder Donne breathed. “Blue….”

“Please do not stare too much,” I whispered. “It makes her uncomfortable.”

“Yes, of course,” he said quickly then grunted in frustration. “Why couldn’t that stupid demon have grabbed Lethan with my left arm?”

What happened to his arm, Father?

“She wishes to know the story behind your missing arm,” I muttered. “Are you comfortable speaking about it?”

“Of course,” he said. “Do I look at her?” I nodded. “A demon possessed my body.” Icefire tilted her head. “Lillian and Faith were able to banish him. Before they could, it grabbed our old court wizard. Dear Lillian shot a silver arrow through my right arm, sparing my life.”

“Sorry,” my mother mumbled but he shot her a reassuring smile.

What is a demon?

I bit my lower lip. “A demon…. A demon is a being from another world that people summon to cause strife.”

She growled. That sounds like a terrible thing to do, Father.

I ran my finger down her spine again. “It is, Icefire,” I whispered.

She finished her platter and dunked her head into a small goblet of water that had been provided. It spilled over and I tried not to laugh as she staggered back and I caught her before she fell.

“Use your tongue,” I said, pouring some of my water into the goblet.

My tongue?

“Yes. Lap it up instead of trying to gulp.”

She looked uncertain but did as I suggested.

Oh! This is much simpler!

I smiled and observed our guests. They sat in tables with their races. Every year we tried to get them to mingle as they ate but they just didn’t feel comfortable enough. When everyone was finished, our new court wizard, Gladstone, clapped twice. The tables and chairs disappeared, leaving room for people to mingle and dance.

I sighed heavily and Icefire looked at me.

What is wrong?

“I’m afraid you’ll have to stay with Mother, Icefire,” I said. “I have to go dance.”

I cannot come?

“I’ll explain it to her,” my mother said, correctly interpreting the look on my face.

I was trying to find a way to explain it while still fulfilling my duty. I stood up and sighed again before descending the stairs. There were many beautiful women but, like my father, I could sense their emotions. So far I have yet to find a woman who wasn’t repulsed by me.

I danced with several women for a while, all of them putting on a heavy act. I played along, not wanting to appear rude, until I offered my hand to a young woman. She was a werewolf but, unlike her fellow women, her features were soft. She had long brown hair that reached her waist and midnight blue eyes, a strange mark. All werewolves shared the eye color of their clan but I have yet to hear of one with such a shade.

“Would you like to dance?” I asked.

“Okay,” she said nervously. “I might step on your toes, though.”

I smiled, leading her to the floor.

“Good because I’ll probably do the same.”

She smiled a little but wouldn’t meet my eyes. She was timid. She put off many emotions. I could sense curiosity, embarrassment, timidity, and fear. Why would she be afraid of me?

“Is this your first time at one of my parties?” I asked as we spun.

“Yes,” she said. “I’ve been… ill for your other ones.”

Her tone suggested she didn’t want to speak about it so I respected her wish.

“What clan are you from?”

Apparently, that was a wrong question, too. She stepped away from me.

“Thank you for the dance, Prince Jacob,” she mumbled.

I frowned. “I didn’t mean to upset you,” I said but she was already disappearing in the crowd.

I debated following her but my father stood and I went back to the table, disturbed a little. Icefire crawled up to my shoulder, purring, and nudged my ear.

She was very beautiful, Father.

I just nodded, scanning the room for her. I couldn’t find her, though, and soon everyone was leaving.

“What’s wrong?” my mother asked when I didn’t get up.

“I was dancing with a young woman,” I said slowly. “She was a werewolf. I asked about her clan and she ran from me….” I looked at Elder Donne. “I thought it was a mark of respect to ask about their clan.”

“It is,” he said. “Perhaps she has no clan.”

“That’s possible?” I asked and he nodded.

“That’s a lesson for another day, though. You should go rest.” He looked at Icefire. “Goodnight.”

She purred in response and my mother walked me to my room.

“You’re very curious about her,” she said suddenly and I nodded.

“I’ve never had a woman run from me before,” I laughed and she did, too.

She kissed my cheek and I stripped down.

“Where would you like to sleep?” I asked.

Where do you sleep?

“The bed,” I said, pointing.

She looked around then settled down on a pillow. I smiled and got in, shutting my eyes and fell asleep with Icefire humming a sort of melody.