‹ Prequel: United

Divided

The Elders

Elders Arlan, Donne, Maria, and Yovel met in the Meeting Hall Arlan had built when still trying to negotiate with the vampires. It had changed. Though it still had the plant life, the table was round and had four chairs around it – one for the elder of each race.

“Our news is grim,” Yovel, the werewolf elder, said.

“What’s wrong?” Donne asked, making sure his robe covered his missing arm.

He sighed. “Something moves in the north, something we cannot place.”

Arlan looked at Maria. “Are the humans performing more experiments?”

She shook her head. “No. In fact, the area that Elder Yovel speaks of hasn’t been inhabited by humans in thousands of years.”

“Why does it pose such a threat?” Arlan asked.

“Because the air is sinister,” Yovel answered. “I visited there two days ago. It made my hair stand up on end and my wolf made me leave. Whatever it is, it means all the races harm.”

Donne shifted. “Could it be a demon?”

Arlan smiled sympathetically. “If it is, you need not worry. Cladiun was successfully banished.”

Donne shook his head. “But there are others out there, Elder Arlan. Many others that don’t need a host body,” he added, unconsciously gripping the stump that was his right arm.

“Should we send troops?” Maria asked nervously. “I have several strong humans but I don’t know how much good they can do against a demon.”

“Humans can’t go,” Yovel said. “Forgive me but you are too fragile. I have some wolves that can suppress their inner wolf long enough to go in and see….”

“King Roan also has a few vampires,” Donne said. “Does Queen Lillian Greentree know of any elves?”

“I can ask her,” Arlan said. “Though, after her marriage with Roan, I doubt many will want to follow her leadership.”

“I will commune with Caricus,” Donne sighed.

“I will commune with Adelpha,” I agreed.

“God shall definitely be a part of my decision,” Maria said.

“And I will visit Bardawulf’s shrine with my offerings,” Yovel said. He sighed. “I do not want to go to war. Not after we all have been experiencing a peace we haven’t had in many eras.”

“Agreed,” Arlan said and they stood.

They gave each race their salute and walked out together, each consumed with their own dark thoughts.