‹ Prequel: United

Divided

'Sick'

He spat in your face, Father!

I sighed as we walked into the palace.

“And I appreciate you looking out for me. But if you attack random people, Icefire, you could get into serious trouble. They could even try to kill you.”

The dragon puffed out smoke. I understand but I still hope I do not see that man again.

I frowned as I remembered how he openly tried to touch Tetra. Was that a common werewolf thing to do? Then it occurred to me I didn’t really know what werewolves eat so I sought Elder Donne out.

“Come in,” he said before I had the chance to knock and I smiled at his sharpness. “What can I do for you, young Jacob?”

“Do you know what werewolves eat?” I asked, sitting down and Icefire settled on top of my head.

Elder Donne smiled at the dragon as I tried to move her. She dug her claws in and I growled.

“Oh fine,” I mumbled and let her be.

“Werewolves,” Elder Donne said slowly. “Why do you ask?”

I pretended to be interested in my nails.

“I talked to one today,” I said. “She has a large interest in pocket dragons, as well, so I invited her for dinner.”

I looked up and saw Elder Donne smirking at me. I groaned and leaned my head back.

“They eat mainly meats,” he answered. “I’ll have a message sent to the kitchens.”

“Thank you,” I mumbled but didn’t get up.

“Is there something else?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said slowly and leaned forward. “Mother and Father have taught each other much about their races. Is it required for two beings of different races be married to teach?”

“Not necessarily,” he said. “But it makes it easier. Your parents were naturally interested so it was easier for them before they married. Not many are until after marriage.”

“I am curious about the wolves,” I admitted.

“Perhaps she is curious about the vampires,” he shrugged. “Just know this: do not give away anything about how to kill us. All races know about silver but they don’t know where to strike us. They also do not know about the true nature of crosses.”

“So basically, keep the secrets secret,” I said and he nodded. “Very well.”

I stood up to leave but he called me back. He was smiling a little.

“I am glad you are making friends.”

I rubbed the back of my neck before leaving. I had some friends here in the palace. They were mostly staff, though. In fact, I did a detour to the servants’ quarters. I heard my friend, Paul, had fallen ill. Vampires don’t fall ill so I knew something else was going on.

When I got to his door, I debated on whether or not to knock. Instead, I put my ear to the door. One second of listening and I knew what was really wrong. I threw the door open and smirked as the two bodies scrambled for cover.

I leaned against the door jamb. “Well, hello Paul,” I said cheerfully as Icefire made a weird noise. “Ah. Your name is Mary, correct?”

“Yes, your highness,” she said in a high pitched voice, hiding behind Paul.

“I heard you were sick,” I said, trying not to laugh at the look on Paul’s face. “I’m glad to see you’re feeling better.”

He spluttered for a few minutes.

“It-It’s good to see you too, Jacob,” he said and cleared his throat. “Mary and I were just….”

I smirked. “Come see me once you’re… well enough,” I said and closed the door.

I walked back up the stairs, laughing. Ever since my mother came to the palace, vampires were trying to feign illness. Elves got sick and the most effective remedy was a certain soup that my father said was the worst thing he had ever made. I didn’t know what that meant but I heard an explosion in the kitchens one day my mother fell ill.

Everyone knew vampires couldn’t get sick, though, and those that tried to feign ill were punished. I liked Paul, though. He was one of the few to really accept me. I sat down at the throne room with my parents who laughed at Icefire’s new perch. She was trying to decide where she wanted to sit.

What happened, Father? Why were they unclothed?

I laughed and she flew down to my lap. I tried to think of the best way to word it.

“They both… like each other,” I said finally. “And, when two vampires… like each other, they engage in physical acts to display their affection.”

My mother laughed loudly as my father cringed.

Why did they feel the need to hide?

“Because Paul – the male vampire – was supposed to be working today.”

So he was lying.

“Yes.”

My mother was still laughing when Paul came in half an hour later, red as a brick. I smirked at him.

“Good to see you on your feet,” my mother said, her lips quivering with laughter. He tried to speak but it came out as an incomprehensible squeak. “I was wondering if you would do me a favor.”

I looked at her. “Actually, Paul is supposed to be-”

“There’s a rumor we will be entertaining a guest tonight,” my mother interrupted and I shut my eyes wearily. “Perhaps you could make sure that all the plates are perfect and shining.”

“Yes your highness,” he whispered and hurried out.

“Elder Donne,” I groaned. “I was going to tell you but that wretch beat me to it.”

My mother giggled. “Is it the young werewolf you danced with and ran from you?”

“Yes,” I said with as much dignity as possible. “She has an interest in pocket dragons much like mine. So, I offered dinner and after we will talk about them.”

“Sure you will,” my father teased.

I turned pink. “She is an outcast,” I said quietly and my mother reached over to hold my hand. “Apparently, she has no clan.”

“How is that possible?” my father asked.

“Don’t,” my mother said when I was about to answer. “We’ll ask her. That will give us conversation and give me plenty of time to find new ways to embarrass you.”

I groaned and leaned my head back on the throne.