Status: Will try to update frequently :D Please take a moment to comment when you can

Destroying Fate

The First of Many Encounters

She was just a kid when it first happened, riding her bike in the sweet Georgia spring air; Angela was about 11 years old. She was lost in thought unaware that the best thing to ever happen to her was about to take place. Parking her bike on the side of the familiar corner store that she liked to go every Saturday, Angela strolled on it and picked out her favorite flavor of slushy; green apple with a hint of root beer. Sour but manageable in her mind, just as she was about to pay for it with the change from helping her mother around the house with daily tasks, her vision distorted and she saw a car come from out of nowhere in the back of her young mind. The change dropped from her small hand and Angela backed away from the counter watching as a young boy about her age had just dodged out of the way. She put her hand over her heart thankful that the boy was okay and bent down to pick up the change she had dropped; still feeling the heart beat thundering in her chest.

“Is everything alright?” The store clerk Mr. Youngane had asked her helping her count to make sure everything had been picked up to the right amount.

“Did you see that?” She stuttered stunned at what she had just witnessed right before her eyes; the old man looked around the store unaware of what just occurred.

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about, tell your mother I said hello though.” He answered waving her out of the store. Angela turned and left the store bewildered at what just happened to her that had zero explanation.

On the other side of the country in a small town in California, at the exact same moment as Angela strolled her bike down the street; a young boy named Joel was out on the street playing street hockey with his friends and older brother.

“YEAAAH SCORE!” He shouted excited to have finally gotten the first score of the game that evening.

“That doesn’t even count Nate wasn’t even in the net!” His best friend since they were kids Patrick shouted coming to his brother’s defense.

“Oh come on, it so counted!” He laughed unaware of the SUV that motored down the street as fast as it could, Joel turned around quickly and just noticed it and ran out of the way just in the time. Yet, just as Angela’s mind seen what happened to him; he saw a small hand and change clank to the floor before coming to his senses.

“You okay little bro?” Joel’s big brother Nate asked rushing to his side, looking around him to make sure the car was gone and out of the way.

“Yeah, I’m okay; just seen something… strange.” He replied standing to his feet and shaking the dirt off of his pants and looking down at his hands.

“You almost got hit by a car, I’m sure your life probably flashed before your eyes! Now come on lets go get cleaned up before mom finishes dinner.” He put his arm around his big brother and followed him into the house.

This wasn’t the last time this would happen to either Angela or Joel, the years passed and they both grew older. The connection only grew stronger, leading to dreams and being able to know what the other was thinking. Yet, it was something that was only one sided and they were not able to talk to each other.

Joel spent a lot of time thinking about this girl, drawing what he thought she looked like in his notebooks at school; and writing poetry about her. The day of his 16th birthday the mark that would connect him to his soulmate finally appeared on his shoulder; it was an upside down rose with a black dot in the middle.

Same with Angela on her 16th birthday, but she was told the rules of the mark. She wasn’t allowed to look for him, and they had to find each other but not until after she turned 20. The consequences of meddling with the mark was not made aware to her at the time, and Angela being a young girl and having curiosity get the best of her wondered deep down if maybe just maybe the boy she had been seeing in her dreams was just that person she was told not to go looking for. She only knew his voice, and what he’d see; his face was always a blur to her but she could always try to picture him to the best of her ability.

“And why are we going to Georgia? I have like a month left of school and a shitload of exams to study for.” Joel was now 18 and sat around the table with his mother and father; they had dropped the bomb that they were heading in that direction for a visit with some family Joel had no idea he knew existed.

At that moment Angela sat straight up from where she was sitting in the back of her pre-medical class at the local college she attended; she smiled to herself. He was finally coming this way, and she was going to make sure he found her. She traced the black rose that was imprinted on her shoulder, wondering if he bared the same mark that she had possessed since she was 16.

“It’s not set in stone yet, we still need to talk to the bank about taking out some money for the trip.” Angela frowned at the thought of him coming here only being a maybe.

Angela thought to herself about the story of how her parents had met, she remembered it being a dark July evening and her father had just finished a presentation for a new job he applied for. Her mother just being out of school was drenched from the rain and her car breaking down. She had asked him for a ride and they hit it off right away, and that night over hot chocolate and a warm fire place discovered the mark they both had on each of their ankles. It was a heart colored in a fiery red, and a black dot in the middle. Eagerly they married and vowed to stay together forever, no matter what. Angela smiled at the thought of that being for her one day, but hated the thought of having to wait so long to find whoever it was. Of course, exceptions are made; frowned upon but made. Like if someone meets someone and they aren’t connected in that way but fall for each other; arrangements can be made for them to be together.

No one truly knows who takes care of this type of thing, but it keeps people at ease when they feel lonely knowing that there is somewhere out there for everybody.

That night Joel laid awake in his bed, thinking and wondering about Angela; still not knowing her name or what she looked like. She was a constant anchor on his mind that weighed heavily just waiting to be discovered.

He opened his laptop and adjusted the pillow that rested underneath his back, and typed up one of his poems he had written just that day while waiting to attend his Sociology class.

My heart, it hears your voice.
But your face it does not.
My throat, it aches to know you.
More than I already do.
I know you’re beautiful,
Even though I cannot see you completely;
I still long to actually feel you,
And know the face behind the voice
And the laughter that sounds
Like an ocean singing in the breeze
One day,
One day, everything will happen and we will find each other
And we can destroy fate
And create our own
Together
♠ ♠ ♠
*Authors Note: I'm super excited about this story and have plenty planned for it, it might be cliche at times but I'm going to try and make it as unique as possible to try and keep interest. Writing in third person is difficult but it's a project I'm excited to learn more about. Also, the poem is one of my own that I came up with on the spot. Tehe. Enjoy the story and don't forget to vote and leave comments and suggestions! <3*