Genetic Design for Dying

the whole new world

This makes me look fat.”

I notice Azaria looking down at her flashy skirt and puffer sweater, similar to Elora’s, as we walk out of the store. She’s frowning for nothing.

“Nooooo, girl, you’re looking so fresh.”

She links her arm with mine as we walk down the pier. “Wow, look at you picking up the slang in 3091.” Again, she sounds fine now but she's less enthusiastic compared to back home.

I laugh and play with the thought of actually blending in here.

“I see some good food stands over there,” I say while crossing the street towards the yellow buildings. “Can we hit that up?”

Azaria nods and begins humming. “I went to the year three thousand.”

I laugh, “How original.”

While Azaria walks to a taco chain, I am lured towards a burger stand. I read a sign that says, Build Your Own Burger. I look at the small steps before concluding that this is way too advanced for me. I am shocked by how the burgers aren’t given to me by robots. Now, that’d be cool.

“Are you done?” Someone asks behind me. He watches me tilt my head, while I squint. From my soft stare, they become slightly uneasy. “I’m just wondering.”

I swear I didn't mean to look angry. That’s just my face. I look back at the sign and sigh.

“Barely near done,” I whisper.

“New here, huh?” he says, while standing between me and the burger sign. He's probably half a foot taller than me because I'm looking straight at his chest. His eyes are round, his lips are full, and his breath smells like mint. He’s also sporting a small smirk.

I nod, feeling my legs giving up from me. He's so beautiful. “Yeah, me and my friend just got here.”

“Where are you from?” he politely asks, smiling a toothy grin.

“Flagstaff.”

His eyes widen. “Oh really?” He seems genuinely impressed. “My great great great great grandmother was from there! That is sooo cool, considering I barely meet people from there.”

“Yeah?” I try to play it cool. “How's Flagstaff today?”

He frowns. “It's a pile of dust. When the Trumps took over back in 3015, the U.S. was a chaotic place since then.”

I frown. Oh god, so Trump does win for the elections. Shit.

Someone pinches my sides and I know it's Azaria. “Hey, taste this,” she happily says while shoving a plate into my face, “it's so good but it was expensive.”

“Azaria, uh, this is...” I mumble while looking at Cutie McCutie Pants.

“Myles,” he smiles.

“This is Myles. Myles, this is Azaria, my friend I was telling you about.”

“Oh cool. Great meeting you,” she says quickly before walking off to a table.

“Sorry about her,” I blush, “She’s different when she's hungry.”

Myles does a cute things with his lips before he basically does another million dollar smile. “Well, for your burger, I suggest The Classic, since it's your traditional burger with cheese, tomatoes and their signature sauce. It comes with garlic fries and a drink all under six dollars.”

My eyes widen. “That's a score.”

It really was. Cheap food and a cute guy; 3091 have some perks.

After I order, I notice Myles is gone but his scent is still rushing through my head. The good ones always slip between my fingers when I'm hungry.