Fools

asteria

I’m not one to fall in love with any guy that walks by me. I’m not one to even notice the looks that boys throw, unless they’re pointed out to me. If a boy is brave enough to approach me, I smile encouragingly. If his words are filled with sexual intent or lewd behaviour, with a pleasant smile I say one of the following phrases: “I’d rather stick a needle in my eye. Or yours”, “The stars say it’s not the right time for us. Ever” or my personal favourite, “No.” Just a straight up blunt response. Boys are not used to girls turning them down – especially the ones that I come across, so it’s quite entertaining to watch the shock written across their face as they stammer uncomfortably and scurry away.

Most boys are afraid of me for this reason. They know I am uninterested, yet they still try their luck, hoping that I’ll say yes to one of them. I have never said yes to a boy before.

Except you.

To this day, I’m not sure why I found you different to the others. Was it that you pursued me again and again, even though your attempts landed you nowhere? Was it the way you challenged my opinion in our English literature class and spoke with such an air of confidence that for a second, even I almost conformed to your way of thinking? Or perhaps it was the way you leaned against the corridor outside the dining hall, waiting for Athena and I to walk in so you could follow behind us and attempt to ask me out again. I won’t lie, a part of me enjoyed saying no to you so I could see what line you would say that would make you try again, but when you stopped trying, my interest peaked. Why was it that when you disappeared, I wondered where you had went? If you were going to come back? If you were going to show interest again?

When I saw you in class and you spoke civilly to me, as though you had never tried to ask me out prior, it was the first time I looked at you – really looked at you. Your lean frame accentuated that jawline I’d never noticed until now. Your eyes were tired but full of longing, there was something about the intensity of your gaze that warmed my insides and sparked a part of me I’d never felt before – lust.

It didn’t take long for me to overcome my pride and ask you out after class. It didn’t take long for you to say yes, and it didn’t take long for us to start dating.

But it took a long time for her to accept that you were in our lives, let alone acknowledging your presence. What I didn’t expect was her not trusting you, not one bit.