Fools

athena

I hate him. I hate him with every part of me. I try not to hate others because I don’t enjoy having all this hate in me, but without a doubt I hate your boyfriend. I know I was previously unsure of how I felt towards him, but now I know exactly how I feel about him. The way he treats me is disgusting so I can’t imagine how he treats you, his girlfriend. I know that sometimes he checks me out when you and I are walking through the quad or how he makes casually racist comments towards you. I’m not sure whether you hear them or you just play them off, but I’m incredibly sick of the way he treats you. Your colour is gorgeous and not something to be ashamed of, and his comments of “You’re so pretty for a black girl” or when he’s surprised that you speak with such eloquence - something I was already aware of and knew - I take offence to. I know I’m not a black woman but I am a woman of colour and when he says those things to you, I wonder how you can brush them under the rug and forget he’s made those sickening comments when you are naturally so proud of you and your existence.

What I wonder the most is how you let someone treat you this way when I, as your best friend and a sister from another mister, have treated you with such kindness, love and respect. How have you fallen so low?