Renegade [Zach Mitchell]

ONE ;!

CHAPTER ONE:
❝ BAD IDEAS ❞

◊ ▪ ◊

FOR KENDRA JADE HALFORD, things never really came easy. Her parents got divorced when she was very young, resulting in her barely even knowing her father, not that she cared much. From what her mother told her—he was kind of an asshole.

So, she stayed living with her mother in America, while her father lived in Kendra's birthplace—Sydney, Australia. Due to this Kendra's mother left her daughter's name to legally be Kendra Jade Halford, using her father's last name. But, ever since then Kendra decided to go by Kenna (a nickname that her friend gave her).

Now, Kenna is almost seventeen and she hasn't seen her best friend Zach in a year. Well, she would see him at school and in her classes, but they didn't speak to each other. Zach Mitchell used to be someone Kenna was always around because he made her a better person. They trusted and loved each other to no end, but not anymore. Zach had become generally aloof and an apathetic idiot to be short. The way they stopped being friends was sort of sad, well at least for Kenna.

It all started when Kenna was invited to a party, she would probably have thought this was strange, as she was not much of the parting type. Kenna knew she wasn't ugly—far from it really, and she worked hard for what she wanted.

Only Zach had really paid attention to her, Kenna had early admittance to Harvard and Yale—so she was able to choose between two of the most prestigious colleges in america when other people were still studying for their SATs. But, Kenna decided to graduate along with the rest of her house, acting as if nothing was set in stone.

The party was something that Kenna was nervous about. Her mother, of course, had made a monstrous deal about it and went out to buy Kenna a gorgeous and expensive dress. It was black with a halter–top fit at the top and came around upper to mid–thigh, there was a zip that went from the top left shoulder to her right hip—and it made everything look even more expensive.

So Kenna sorted out her naturally wavy caramel colored hair and applied some make–up before she left for the party. What happened still  made Kenna's cheeks burn embarrassment and anger. The moment she stepped through the front door, a can of paint fell from the top of the door and made it's way down—spilling it all over Kenna, ruining the expensive dress that her mother probably spent three months of her pay on. And to make things worse about twelve people threw their drinks on her.

Kenna could have kept her dignity and just walked out, but the cherry on top was that her best friend since she was seven—Zach Mitchell was filming the whole thing as he laughed with the rest of the popular kids. And so, Kenna left the party crying, she attempted to salvage the dress before her mother got home, but there was no luck. Her mother came home to see the dress a complete mess, along with the person who wore it looking even worse.

School was even worse than before. Without any friends to help her through the mockery people sent her at school, Kenna decided to throw her self into her studies even more so than before. And she hasn't spoken Zach since.

Occasionally, she saw his little brother Gray around town and he always hurtled towards her excitedly. Gray loved Kenna; she was like an older sister to him—but the moment Zach came into view, Kenna would disappear and Zach wouldn't have she was there if Gray hadn't ecstatically told him about their encounter.

But some months before the Christmas holidays—almost nine months later, Kenna got to visit Karen and Gray Mitchell about joining Zach and Gray to go to Jurassic World. As expected Kenna immediately declined, but Karen was persistent. Her sister Claire worked at Jurassic world and her nephews hadn't seen her in seven years—but of course, Zach refused to go unless Kenna came.

"Is this some kind of joke?" Kenna asked with a forced smile on her face. She had reminded herself that it was Zach who betrayed her. Zach who turned against her to befriend the popular crowd, but it was difficult. "Because if it is, I won't be angry with you. If this is Zach's doing, and this is his idea of—"

"Please Kenna," Gray pleaded stepping forward, the three had been standing by the Halford's front door as Kenna skeptically eyed the two Mitchells. "Zach hasn't been the same since the two of you have stopped being friends."

"Stopped being friends?" Kenna echoed, crossing her arms as she furrowed her brows together. "Did Zach tell you what had happened between us?"

"Just that you two had a fall out," Karen explained, confused as to why Kenna was asking this. "Which is fine; that's what friends do sometimes."

"Zach and I didn't have a fall out," Kenna confirmed, shaking her head as her arms dropped down to her sides. "He betrayed me in order to take on his 'I'm better than everyone else' persona." She looked down into Gray's big blue eyes, before crouching down to look at him. Kenna carefully took Gray's hands and smiled sadly. "I'm sorry, but I don't this is a good idea."

"He won't go if you don't come," Gray blurted out, and then his eyes widened along with Kenna. "Zach doesn't wanna go unless you do." Kenna sighed, dropping Gray's hands and stood up again. "Please?" Gray latched into her arm, his eyes seeming even bigger and sadder than she remembered. "Come with us, if not for Zach—then at least for the dinosaurs."

Kenna cracked a smile at Gray's words before she let out a quiet laugh. "How has he been?" She asked Gray in particular. "As a brother I mean."

"Not fantastic," Gray admitted. "Come on, Kenna please?" Kenna sighed once more, she couldn't even imagine the amount of things that could go wrong if Zach was left with Gray at Jurassic World. Even though she resented Zach for what he did to her, Kenna really cared about Gray.

Kenna let out a shaky breath, as a small smile formed on her lips. "When do we leave for Island Nublar?" She questioned.

"Christmas vacation," Gray informed her before reaching forward and hugging her. "Thank you Kenna."

"If I do this," kenna began quietly, fearing that her voice would break if she didn't speak clearly. "I'm going to sacrifice any dignity I have left when it comes to Zach," She looked over and Karen. "You do understand this, don't you?" Karen nodded grimly.

"I swear to you; he won't come unless you do." Karen's voice was pleading and desperate, a tone kenna would never associate with Zach and Gray's mother. She was always strong and beautiful—someone she could look up to too.

"Okay," Kenna agreed, nodding her head curtly once.

"Thank you." Gray squealed as he wrapped his arms around her torso, burying his face in her stomach as he hugged her. Kenna smiled and gently rubbed his back.

"Just don't go running off by yourself if you see any Ankylosaurs, okay?" Kenna teased, "I mean, although they ate herbivores—they might scare you brother with the armour plating."

"Not to mention their armament to ward off predators." Gray chimed weakly, Kenna laughed at his words and looked up in to her green eyes. He remembered when Zach used to go on about how beautiful her eyes were, and he wanted to roll his eyes. Then he remembered how his brother had been acting for the past half year and frowned. "Thank you Kenna." Gray repeated before stepping back towards his mother.

"I'll send your mom all the details." karen added, bidding Kenna goodbye before leading her son back to her car. Sighing, Kenna walked back into inside and wrapped her arms around herself. Once she returned to her room, she kicked off her shoes and sat on her bed with her legs crossed.

What did she get herself into?