I Can’t Make You Love Me

Chapter Seven

Jaelyn’s brain was reeling from the conversation she’d just had with Jared.

Part of her was really regretting it – she’d obviously dredged up some rough stuff, including fights with his brother and a reason why apparently multiple women had left him. She should have known better than to make comments about his acting, but it had always really bothered her.

I’ve definitely driven him away from the idea of dating me now, she thought sadly, allowing her thoughts to drift as she and Jared made their way toward the parking lot. Then she reminded herself that she wasn’t supposed to be trying to date him, anyway. She was determined not to date again until she was completely happy with everything else in her life.

“Jared! Jared and Jaelyn!” someone shouted nearby.

Jared’s arm moved so that he had her pressed to his side and she welcomed the feeling of security it presented as they approached the red carpet. She’d always heard that the crazy stuff like shootings or attacks happened after a big show.

“Jaelyn, Jaelyn! Are you and Jared a couple?” someone cried to her left.

“Jaelyn, how do you stay in such good shape?!”

“Come on, Jaelyn, give us a smile!”

“You heard the man,” said Jared in her ear, his breath sending a shiver down her spine.

Without waiting for her consent, Jared turned them to face the sea of photographers. He leaned his head against hers and smiled for the camera. His hand was lightly squeezing her hip and the feeling made butterflies erupt in her stomach. Her face grew warm and she smiled softly, letting herself lean into him.

“Let’s run,” he whispered.

“What?” Jaelyn asked.

“Let’s run for the car. They’ll have a field day and we’ll get the hell out of here.”

Jaelyn knew what he was doing. Running would make people talk, gossip. It would look like they were in a hurry to be alone. It would fuel the rumors that they were dating. It would royally piss off Paris, probably. If they were actually dating, that is.

But Jaelyn suddenly realized that she didn’t care.

“Okay.”

Jared reacted instantly, grabbing her hand and yanking her in the direction of the car. Jaelyn let a wild laugh escape her lips as she let him pull her along, struggling to stay upright in her borrowed heels. Reporters and camera-wielders were following them now, shouting questions and yelling, “Wait! Wait!”

But they didn’t wait. They sprinted to the car, Jared holding the door for her as she leapt in, then slamming it and jogging over to his side. As they whipped out of the spot and through the lot, Jaelyn looked out the window and waved at the stunned paparazzo. She and Jared didn’t stop laughing for a good five minutes, after which they sank into a comfortable silence. Adele was playing softly through the radio speakers and Jaelyn hummed along quietly.

“Thank you for coming out with me tonight,” said Jared after a while. “I really enjoyed myself.”

“Even though I questioned your acting and accused you of self-sabotage?”

Jared grimaced and shook his head. “Even so.”

“Well, I had a good time to. And I’m sorry, by the way.”

“Don’t be. If you hadn’t pointed it out, I’m sure someone would have.” He stared out the front windshield, then added, “I’m glad it was you.”

Not sure what to say to that, Jaelyn sank into a subdued state. So far, this evening with Jared had been weird. So up and down. She knew she was sending mixed signals all over the place, but it was like her mouth and her brain had different ideas of how their relationship should be – romantic or platonic. She was only drawn from her thoughts when she caught a snippet of the song playing on the radio and she reached to turn up the volume knob.

I don’t wanna steal your freedom
I don’t wanna change your mind
I don’t have to make you love me
I just wanna take your time

I don’t wanna wreck your Friday
I ain’t gonna waste my lines
I don’t have to take your heart
I just wanna take your time


“Is this country?” Jared asked, obviously confused by the R&B type verses.

“Sort of.”

“I didn’t imagine you as a country lover.”

“Well, I used to be. It still...holds a soft spot in my heart, I guess.”

Jared nodded, as though taking a mental note, then glanced at her. “Why is Jaelyn such a secret?”

“What?” asked Jaelyn, not understanding the question.

“You. Everything about you is a mystery. Even your last name. Why is that? Because, normally, I’d think it was a publicity thing, but that doesn’t seem your style.”

Jaelyn bit her lip, suddenly wary of Jared’s intuition. He was exactly right – he and everyone else was supposed to think of it as a publicity thing. However, that was far from the truth.

“That’s just how I like it,” she said after some thought. “I want people to be interested in my music, not me.”

“Can’t they be interested in both?” Jaelyn, once again, had no response for that. “So, if I asked you questions about yourself, would you just not answer them or would you mislead me with vague responses?”

“Probably that last one.”

“So where are you from?”

“I was born in New York City.”

“But, naturally, you grew up somewhere else.”

“Yes.”

“Where?”

“Further south.”

“Did you live ‘further south’ long?”

“You could say that.”

“What’s your family like?”

“Like everyone else’s.”

“Any siblings?”

“Yes.”

“How many?”

“I never really kept count.”

“Wow,” said Jared, leaning his head against the headrest and letting out a breathy laugh. “This is more frustrating than I even want to admit.”

“That’s the point,” Jaelyn giggled. “I told you you wouldn’t get a straight answer.”

“I’d answer your questions.”

“I don’t have any. You are from Bossier City, Louisiana. Cajun. Older brother. You’re vegan, an animal rights activist, musician, actor, businessman, um...Democrat-ish. You voted for Obama, at least. Activist. Philanthropist.” She fought back a smile. “Joe Nice-Guy.”

“I thought he didn’t exist.”

“I said probably.”

Jared laughed quietly and made the turn onto Jaelyn’s street. “You are definitely an interesting human being.”

“As are you,” agreed Jaelyn.

They were quiet until they pulled up in front of the apartment building. Jared hopped out of the driver’s seat and walked slowly around to open the door for her. He then followed her to the door of the building.

“Oh, you don’t have to walk me to my door,” Jaelyn chuckled.

“Now you’re crazy,” Jared said. “80% of city stabbings happen in shady apartment hallways.”

“I’m pretty sure you’re making that up.”

“Better to be safe, though.”

“If you say so.”

Jared looked respectfully away as Jaelyn punched in the building code and pulled the door open. As they made their way across the dimly lit lobby, Jaelyn shuttered and said, “I hate the lobby at night. It reminds me of American Psycho.”

“Was that a personal detail?” Jared asked teasingly.

“Don’t make a big deal of it and I might drop another one.”

As they waited for the elevator, Jared said, “I was in that movie, you know.”

“I know. I try to block that out.”

She stepped through the opening elevator doors, ignoring Jared’s indignant, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

They didn’t speak again until they had reached her door, where she paused and said, “Well, thanks for a nice evening.”

“Of course. It was my pleasure.”

Jaelyn was looking down at her feet, worried that he might try to kiss her if she looked up. In fact, that was all she’d been thinking about since he practically forced her to let him walk her to the door. Why else would he have insisted on it? But she knew letting him kiss her would be a bad idea. She was supposed to just be a friend, no romance. Just friends.

“So...goodnight,” she said with what she hoped was finality. “Thank you for walking me to my door.”

“You’re welcome,” replied Jared, leaning calmly against the doorframe. He waited expectantly as Jaelyn fumbled with her key and unlocked the door. Just as she was about to close the door behind her, Jared said quietly, “Jaelyn.”

She shuddered at the sound of her name falling from her lips and had to gather her breath before she could answer, “Yes?”

“The person you described in the car is just what the public knows.” He had a serious tone to his voice and Jaelyn found herself leaning in so she wouldn’t miss a word. “Everyone thinks they know me. But I have a theory.”

“And what is your theory?” asked Jaelyn, noticing her inclined posture and quickly leaning away. She had a hand on the door, ready to slam it if he looked like he was about to try anything.

“If I show you the real Jared Leto, you’ll be able to let me see the real Jaelyn...insert last name.”

She smiled, admiring his attempt, but didn’t fill in the blank. “I can’t confirm your theory, and if we stand here much longer we’re probably going to wake up my roommate.”

“I’ll go then,” said Jared, recognizing his dismissal. “But you’ll be hearing from me soon.”

“That a promise?”

“Absolutely. Goodnight, Jaelyn.”

“Goodnight.”

Jared turned and headed back toward the elevators. Jaelyn, feeling as though waking from an intense dream, finally closed the door and leaned against it as she attempted to control her erratic heartbeat. What on earth had she gotten herself into?