Status: Hiatus.

Picturesque

Present

My phone buzzed on the coffee table in front of me, the noise pulling me from my slumber. I yawned, my eyes bleary as my head throbbed and I sat up, grabbing the device before turning off the alarm. Truthfully, I was exhausted with it being only nine in the morning, but I couldn't sleep in; I had a client at one today and I made sure to never miss an appointment.

Stumbling through the apartment, I made my way into the bathroom, turning on the water and slowly stripped off my clothes, not caring where they fell in the floor.

I shivered the moment I stepped under the cool stream of water, wrapping my arms around myself. Even though it was my career, I didn't want to take any clients today, but I was only doing this one because it was a special request from a friend.

Like Iwaizumi and I, Kuroo grew up with someone who he was close with from the start. Kuroo's childhood friend recently became engaged and he and his partner wanted photos to announce the event; I was also pestered until I agreed.

Lathering up the soap on my body, I wished my headache would subside before pinching the bridge of my nose. I shouldn't have stayed out drinking last night; I knew better, but it was my addiction and I could handle it if I wanted to. I mean, I had been doing pretty well since I started off, right?

After I made sure I was fully washed off, I climbed out of the shower before wiping off the mirror and shaved off the faint amount of stubble on my face. Even though I was severely hungover, I still needed to look nice and hold up my reputation as a professional businessman as I had built this image over the past few years. I was known across the areas surrounding my hometown and Tokyo as one of the best portrait photographers there ever was.

As I walked out of the bathroom, I heard my phone ringing from the living room and I quickly rushed to grab it, not recognizing the number as I answered the call. I lifted the device to my hear, answering the call the same way my mother always did.

“Oikawa,” I stated, hearing what seemed like a sigh of relief.

Oikawa-san,” I heard a monotone voice say, “This is Kozume Kenma, my fiancé and I have an appointment at one with you, but I was wondering if we could move it up to maybe eleven? I-It's okay if you can't, I'm sure Kuro can talk to you about--

I glanced at the time, seeing that it was a quarter until ten and I knew that most of my equipment was in my car as I sighed, saying, “No, it's fine. You want them at the same place, down by the river, correct?”

Y-Yeah,” he muttered, “Thank you, Oikawa-san.

I smiled softly, and said, “ You're very welcome, Kozume-san.”

Our call ended with a click as I looked down at the towel that was still wrapped around my waist, my hair dripping water onto my shoulders as I sighed heavily.

“Fuck.”

Image

I clutched my steering wheel tightly as I glanced around, looking for the place that Kuroo's friend had been telling me about the other day. I had been driving by the river for at least ten minutes now and I felt kind of bad since I hadn't been in this part of town since I was younger; I should have checked out this place beforehand.

My focus was so tuned to where I was going that I jumped when my phone buzzed in my pocket, alerting me of a new text. Quickly, I glanced down at it, seeing that it was from my mom before I looked up, noticing Kozume leaning against a tree, phone in his hands.

I parked my car on the side of the road, watching as he didn't even glance up when I climbed out of the vehicle. Reaching into the backseat I pulled out my camera bag before walking towards the younger male, taking in his appearance.

I had only met him once in college at a party with Kuroo, but he hadn't changed much. He had still kept his hair partially blond, his dark roots showing and it still shocked me every time when he finally peered at me with those cat-like, golden eyes.

“Good morning, Kozume-san,” I said, greeting him as I looked around, searching for his currently unnamed fiancé. They were nowhere in sight and Kozume's eyes locked onto me and he gave me a small wave.

“Shouyou had an errand to run, but he'll be here as soon as he gets the chance. Also, I'm fine with you referring to me as my given name; you hang out with Kuro enough to know it by heart.” He muttered looking back down at his phone, not raising his gaze again; at least he wasn't as antisocial as he was at the party.

I nodded my head, pulling my camera from my bag before throwing the strap around my neck and walked down to the river, trying my best to ignore the slight sting running through my knee. Luckily, today was a nice day; it wasn't too hot or too cold, and the sun was shining perfectly at the right angle for the photos. Smiling, I took a couple of shots of the glimmering water, biting my lip as I heard Kozu... Kenma say something behind me.

Glancing back, I saw him waving over to someone approaching us and as I was about to start back up the hill, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket once again. I pulled it from my pants, glancing down at the notifications once again and saw that it was another text from my mother. Tapping on the screen a couple of times, I sighed before opening up my messaging app to see what she had to say.

Okaasan: Tooru, I need you at the house when you get the chance.

The first text made me raise an eyebrow and as I read the second, I suddenly became worried.

Okaasan: It's urgent, Tooru-chan.

I knew my mother never used “-chan” after my name unless something serious was going on and slowly, I made my way back up the hill, sending her a quick reply only to see a boy approaching us. I noticed he was only a hair shorter than Kenma as he held a volleyball on his hip, bright smile on his face. His orange hair was the only thing that made him stand out from everyone else and the moment he saw me, his amber eyes wide.

“Grand King?!” The boy shouted, stopping dead in his tracks.

“Shrimpy-chan, of course it had to be you of all people.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is literally rare pairs; I'm not even kidding. See, typically with sports anime and me, I ship everyone with everyone. If you look at the anime tags on my tumblr, there is literally a ship that involves the main character of the swimming anime, Free!, three or four times.

So, when I began to make my draft of this story for my school's writing contest, I ended up pairing Hinata and Kenma together for the reason that they seemed like they would end up being “cute.” In the draft this part didn't come in until much further, but I'm rewriting most of this as I go along while attempting to follow the original skeleton.

So yes, I will admit, I typically pair Iwaizumi and Oikawa together (I'm sure you guys noticed that last chapter), but I knew that if I used that pair in this particular story, it just wouldn't work; Iwaizumi and Oikawa were childhood friends and I needed someone that Oikawa wasn't that close to use as the man of his affections.

Kenma (and yes, he's supposed to be calling Kuroo, Kuro) didn't talk as much in the original draft either, but I wanted to use the surprise of Hinata at the end to the full extent. Besides, all of these cuties are five years older than their canon personalities; there's my excuse for them being so out of character.

The plot for the next chapter as already been planned so I'll be working on it as quickly as possible. I'm due to get my license on Friday and after that, it's job hunting time so it may take me a while. I hoping to have the next chapter out by the fourth of July though; that's my goal.

Also, I talk way too much in my author's notes. Sorry.

Comment/Subscribe/Enjoy!

Lady Phantomhive