Blithe Motel

one/one

Ava knew she shouldn’t have been there. She was clutching her phone in her hand, feeling the vibrations rumble through her bones as the texts kept coming through, but she ignored them. She wasn’t sure when her limbs started shaking, like she had suddenly walked into the tundra, but she took an unstable step forward, and another, until she was walking towards the blindingly blue door in front of her. She lifted up her hand, balled it in a fist and knocked three times, resting her hand against the off-white door frame to steady herself.

A few seconds passed, feeling like hours to her, and she considered turning around and running back to car she had left at the beginning of the long driveway. The message had said that there was only a limited amount of space for vehicles and that she should leave hers a ways back, and she hadn’t thought twice about it.

Just as she was about to leave, she the doorknob twist and the door opened, revealing his smiling face, eyes half covered with shaggy hair, and wrinkled clothes indicating that he had just woken up from a nap.

“Hey Ava,” he smiled, his voice filled with the sleep that he hadn’t shaken off yet. He stepped to the side and let her in, revealing a shockingly bright yellow room filled with white furniture. There were vases of flowers placed on both the coffee table and kitchen table and checkered window coverings that reminded her of some type of picnic blanket. She had a hard time repressing the smile that appeared on her face.

She felt the phone in her hand vibrate again and she looked down, seeing the name that had flashed across her screen, and she felt a tinge of guilt bubble up in her stomach.

“Come on,” he said quietly, suddenly appearing behind her and grabbing the phone from her hand, “let’s turn this off for a while.”

He held the power button and placed it on the table once the screen had gone black. She felt his arms wrap around her waist and felt his lips press against her neck, mumbling into neck, “I’m glad you came.”

She sighed and turned around to face him, pressing her lips against his and feeling all of the guilt suddenly melt away, being replaced by passion. The sun shone through the windows around them and cast a ray of light across them, warming her skin, and she relaxed. They made their way to the bed, articles of clothing leaving a trail from where they were to where they ended up. She fell onto the taintless white sheets and sunk in, looking up at him as his lips curved into a smile she didn’t recognize.

She suddenly felt as though all of the blood in her veins had turned cold and she was frozen. She held her breath, unable to move but wanting nothing more than to leave, as she felt the pressure of his body on hers. She tried to scream but his hand reached up and covered her mouth, stifling her ability to breathe. She squirmed under him but he just leaned against her harder, all hope of escaping suddenly leaving her body.

She felt him shift, leaning over to the table placed beside the bed, sliding the drawer open and producing a metal object. The sun reflected off of it as he moved it closer to her and she could feel the tears pooling in her eyes and spilling over down her face, very much away of the fate that had been thrust upon her. She could feel the coolness of the metal running up her arm as sobs escaped from beneath his hand, moving over her shoulder and to her neck.

She tried to protest, begging for him to stop, to spare her life, but the look in his eyes told her that he wasn’t paying attention to anything but the blade and her flesh. She felt the knife starting to pierce her skin, sliding lightly at first, gradually getting deeper and deeper and she closed her eyes.

The last thing she saw was a splatter of red across the white sheets.