Status: This is for my best friend, who is the most encouraging of my writing.

Our Baggage

Saved

Ashley runs through the woods, wheezing for air, heartbeat breaking her ribs. She's not sure how long she's been running from that-that thing, but soon she won't be able carry on. And then she'll die.

As her vision turns to black from lack of oxygen, and her limbs cease their desperate movements, Ashley feels her body float to the forest floor, and doesn't feel the impact as conciousness abandons her.

~~~

"Hey!" a voice calls, as strong hands shake Ashley awake. "Hey, are you okay?!"

"Um...." She can't form a thought, and her vision is blurry. All she can make out are two forest green eyes close to her face...with gold around the pupils, like the sun outshining an eclipse.
They hear a long screech on the wind, and then she's being hoisted up and carried quickly away. She is dead to the world once again after only a few steps of her savior.

~~~

Ashley wakes in a bed, staring up at a bumpy white ceiling. She experimentally moves her limbs under the covers, and finding that she is able, slowly sits up. This appears to be a motel room. Everything is sore, and she has a slight headache. But she is alive, and that is all that matters. Ashley cautiously gets out of bed, walks to the door, opens the door, and is met by a very tall man on the other side. She jumps back, and he catches her as she falls. Up close like this, she recognizes those green eyes.

"You saved me," Ashley says, then stutters out, "i-in the woods, I-I mean," flustered and blushing.

He smiles and stands her upright. "How are you feeling?"

"Not too bad.... Kinda weak."

"Let me help you back to bed."

"Oh, no, I-I'm alright. I don't wanna be a bother."

"Nonsense. Back to bed." When she doesn't move, he simply picks her up, takes a few long strides across the room, and sets her on the bed. "Relax."

"Okay...."

"Are you hungry?"

She nods.

"I'll be right back then. You're safe here, okay?"

His kind smile is contagious. She nods and murmurs a thank you as he leaves the room.

~~~

When the man returns, he says, "I'm back. I'm Sam, by the way."

"Ashley."

"Hello, Ashley. Good to meet you."

"You, too," she replies, taking the takeout bowl of food he hands her.

Sam sets a water bottle on the bedside table. "Is there anyone I should call for you?"

"No."

"Really? Family?"

"Nope."

He lifts a brow. "Boyfriend?"

She shakes her head.

"Huh. Okay. when you're feeling better, we can see about getting you home."

"Alright."

He smiles and turns to go.

"Wait!"

Sam turns back to her, both brows raised in surprise.

"I...I, um...."

A slow smile of understanding spreads across his face. "I'll eat in here with you. Lemme go get my dinner."

She smiles in gratitude.

He comes back quickly and pulls up a chair by the bed.

"So, where do you live?" he asks.

"Uh, I don't really.... I'm in between places at the moment."

Sam raises a brow. He does that alot. "What does that mean? Where are you staying?"

"Well, I, um...."

He stares hard at her.

"My ex-boyfriend I lived with a few months ago beat me up so I've been staying in motels," Ashley blurts out, unable to keep the words inside under his scrutiny.

His eyes soften with sorrow, and he takes her hand. And he doesn't even need to say anything. In this moment, she feels as if Sam completely understands, even without words. And for the first time in who knows how long, she doesn't feel alone.

~~~

The next day, Ashley meets Dean and Cas. After a day spent leisurely together, everyone agrees that she should keep their group company for awhile.

"How long's awhile?" she asks curiously, not allowing her hopes to get too high.

"Might have to be a long while," Sam answers, and she looks at him. He wears a small smile, and there's a twinkle in his eye. "You're too fun to leave us so soon."

She blushes faintly and gives a little smile, crossing her arms. "I guess I can hang out for awhile."

His grin is bright. "Great."

"Great," she echoes softly.

~~~

When Ashley and Sam have a few minutes to themselves, he sits down with her to explain what he and his brother do for a living.

"Normally we don't tell people, obviously."

"Why me?"

"Because...I want you around. And I don't want to lie to you.

She stares at him. "I'm used to being lied to."

He quirks an almost humorless smile. "So am I. i won't lie to you."

"Even if it's what you think is best for me?"

"...Do you want to be here?"

"Yes," she answers without hesitation.

"Then you're going to have to get used to not getting what's best for you, and getting the whole truth all the time, if the whole truth is what I have. Deal?"

She grins. "Deal."
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter two is soon to come! Please enjoy, comment and subscribe. :)