Status: In progress

The Devil's Resting Place

II

"Pick five cards."

Startled by the command I look above me only to see the familiar aged stack of tarot cards being pushed right up in front of me. At a loss for words I carefully pluck five random cards as instructed, but instead of looking at what I've chosen I decide to hand them directly to my mother due to the uncertainty of what she's exactly looking for.

She doesn't give me a response as she looks at the worn out cards and suddenly sets them on our faded mahogany makeshift table, I take notice of the five cards I've just plucked. The high priestess, the fool, the lovers, the devil, and death. I take notice of the questionable expression furrowed upon her face, something is wrong and yet I can't place my finger on it.

"I don't understand." I hear her murmur to herself lowly.

Shaking my head slightly I give a simple shrug "I'm certain it's nothing."

My mother shakes her head in denial "Something is brewing, Adelina."

Unsure of her warning I continue placing a blue dress over my head, the Lee's have successfully managed to arrange another wedding. They had agreed upon another alliance similar to the one they had arranged with the Shelby's, this time however they had managed to get the son of a famous horse breeder. A party was set to celebrate the new engagement at sunset and now everyone in their caravans was getting ready for the festivities.

"Addie, please be careful tonight."

"You're not coming?" I ask with a furrowed eyebrow as I continue placing an earring on.

Mama shakes her head but for a second I can see in her eyes that she's concerned over the tarot's cryptic message "My head aches and the commotion will only further it."

"I can stay in tonight, it's only one party." I explain while I walk up towards her and her forehead with my hand.

"Please stay beside Johnny Dogs at all times Adelina." She states worriedly while cradling my face in her hands.

"I will, I promise."

Image


The moment the sunset hits the horizon, the party becomes full circle. Large white circus tents are perched up high and mighty, colorful lanterns are placed everywhere as far as the eye can see, a large fire pit is dead center with the circles of people sitting around it each telling a story, and the music band is in full swing and appears to overplay anyone's conversation.

For a moment I'm lost in the sea of countless faces. With each distinguished face I can't help but feel even more alone within the countless waves of people. It's not until I feel someone link their arm around mine that I realize I'm no longer alone. A smile morphs into my face as I note my familiar company, its Lila my most closest and dearest friend. Her white cream dress glides around her like waves of water and her auburn hair is braided perfectly like a fish's tail.

"You looked like a lost soul here by yourself." She shouts to me over the loud music.

"Lost in thoughts I suppose." I shout with a wide smile etching on my face.

We guide our way towards Johnny through the crowds and crowds of people. Parties amongst Carnie folks are normally not this large and I'm sure that if you looked at it first glance you'd mistake it for a day at the circus. I'm curious at the countless attendees and I wonder if any of them truly know the bride and groom.

"You finally found your way." Johnny laughs when he spots both Lila and I.

"More crowds of people than I've ever seen." Lila comments as the music suddenly tones down.

"Johnny Dogs!" We hear a familiar voice shout which quickly interrupts our conversation.

When my eyes make out the familiar razor blades sewn onto caps it's then I feel my blood suddenly freeze. Perhaps it's the lack of music but I swear everything seems perfectly still like a picture frame when the Shelby's come into view. It suddenly dawns on me that all eyes are on us when the Shelby's halt right in front of us.

"Johnny we have business." I overhear Thomas Shelby state as Johnny's back blocks my view from them.

"Addie, You go enjoy yourself, I'll speak to you later." Johnny turns to me coolly to as Lila continues to clutch my arm protectively.

Speechless I nod my head obediently and I feel Lila lead the way and as we commence walking away, I notice Thomas Shelby shoot me a glance. And it's the first time I'm able to make out his face and it dawns on me that I've never realized his eyes are blue, they're the blue you only see in the cathedrals. It's the shade of icy blue you only see in mid December, and it's the shade of blue that's both completely terrifying and yet so mesmerizing.

"Addie." Like a cold splash of water I'm suddenly broken from my trance. Lila looks at me concerned like a mother checking her child for a cold. I hadn't noticed we're sitting down and are far from the crowds of people. Johnny isn't anywhere in sight and the seas of people, although large aren't as congregated as they once were earlier.

"Are you alright?" She asks attentively while continuing to check my head in concern.

"Is that what they look like?" I ask with a furrowed eyebrow.

"Who? The Shelby's? You've never seen one before?" She sighs planting a seat on the soft green patch of grass beside me and brushing her braid slightly.

I shrug "Only silhouettes and the sounds of their voices, but Johnny says its best not to get tangled with such dangerous gangsters."

She scoffs at the sound of this "He ought to talk, he's practically mates with the Shelby's."

"Are they really as dangerous as they say they are?" I ask her with a sheepish smile.

Lila's smile falters "Don't go throwing yourself towards the dogs Addie, Shelby's are no good and they're just as terrifying up close as everyone says they are."

With a confused gaze I look at her "But you said they're practically mates with Johnny."

Lila shakes her head worriedly "Johnny pesters them because he can handle them, Shelby's are godless men the lot of them. You mustn't get involved with the people who very well don't fear death."

For a second I mull over Lila's words and I take in account that she was right. Admiring had been one thing but pursuing the unknown was lethal, like a spider with a fly I was playing with the reaper. Shelby's were deadly and if didn't play my cards right I could end up like any of their countless enemies and all for the thought of foolish thrill.

Having noted my quiet silence Lila suddenly sprung from her seat and extended her hand to help me up "Let's dance, I'm sure it'll take your mind off of it."

When in view of the bonfire Lila managed to sneak past me and towards the band. For a brief second I scan around the crowds of people looking for Johnny it isn't until I notice that not too far away he is now sitting beside Thomas Shelby and they appear to discussing something. Johnny manages to make eye contact with me and I wave to indicate I'm okay in return, he waves towards me and I notice Thomas suddenly flicker his attention to me but intimidated by his careful gaze I quickly avert my eyes from his direction.

Lila takes my hand quickly and I suddenly notice countless women jumping from their seats and making their way towards the bonfire. The music blares out louder and suddenly Lila holds my hand tightly and begins dancing around the fire faster, smiling sheepishly I hold her hand firmly and follow her lead. It doesn't take very long for the other girls to mimic our game and suddenly flurries of the girls are running around the bonfire laughing and smiling and they're going so quickly in circles that everything becomes a blur of faces and colors until the music comes to a halt.

They announce the bride and groom's first dance and suddenly everyone disperses. Lila still holds my hand guides us to Johnny Dogs and we note he's finally alone with not a single Shelby around. My head is still spinning with blurs of lights and colors and a smile is still plastered on my face. Noises feel as if they're all jumbled up together that I can't seem to make out the words Johnny and Lila are exchanging I can only see them looking at me worriedly.

"Are you alright?" Johnny asks attentively.

"I'm just dizzy perhaps too much spinning." I smile apologetically.

"I'll walk you to your caravan Addie, you've had enough fun for tonight." Johnny announces to both Lila and I.

With not as so much as a peep of protest I nod and bid Lila farewell. Once in clear view of no one Johnny shoots me and apologetic glance, I can tell he wants to say something but he appears to have a rough time announcing it.

"I didn't know the Shelby's would be here tonight." He suddenly fumbles out.

"I thought that was a tad off." I mentioned while walking ahead.

"They're not people you ought to run with Addie, you know that don't you?"

Mulling it over I shrug "Everyone keeps telling me that."

"Your ma doesn't like the thought of you circling that crowd of people."

I can't help but slightly scoff at the sound of this "It just seems exciting sometimes, hearing all these tall tales about them but deep down I know they're bad men, Johnny."

"Just promise me you won't get hurt in all this Addie."

With a faltered smile I nod "I promise, Johnny."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image