Status: Rating for language and mature content

Supernova

Prologue

“I can’t believe we’re graduating today,” I said excitedly, straightening my dress.

“I know,” Ethan said as he turned into the parking lot. “It feels like just yesterday I was pushing you into the sand and you were forcing mud in my mouth.”

I laughed loudly. “Some memories will always be cherished.”

He shook his head. “You’re still going to Oxford?”

I nodded, getting out of the car. He opened his trunk and got our gowns and caps, passing mine to me. I bit my lip as I looked at the large auditorium. Our parents had to come separately but Ethan and I were pretty sure we knew their real reasons: Ever since we were kids, they were determined he and I would marry. We haven’t even dated and this was their last ditch effort to make that happen.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” I told him. “I mean, I’ll be going to a prestigious university in my favorite country!”

“Shouldn’t the United States be your favorite country?” he teased.

We were inside and I pulled my gown over my head. I got my cap on but it was crooked so Ethan fixed it for me. His blue eyes were filled with an emotion I had never seen before as he looked at me.

“You okay?” I asked, tilting my head.

“My best friend is moving to a different country in a week,” he shrugged. “What do you think?”

“Aw,” I said and hugged him. “I’ll only be gone for eight years!”

“Only,” he repeated, hugging me back. “Jeez.”

‘Pomp and Circumstance’ started playing and we cringed as our teacher glared at us.

“You’re late,” she hissed. “Stop flirting and get in line!”

I rolled my eyes but did as she said.

-

“Congratulations!” my mom said, running forward and hugging me.

“Thanks,” I said. “Some diploma,” I added. “We don’t even get the actual diploma until we turn in these dumb gowns.”

One of my other friends, Sandy, ran over.

“Party at Michael’s!” she said, pulling on my arm. “Come on!”

I looked at my mom.

“Ethan’s coming!” Sandy added.

“Go ahead,” my mom said immediately and I rolled my eyes.

No matter what they said, there just wasn’t a chance of Ethan and I becoming a couple; especially with me leaving in a week.

The party was in full swing by the time I got there. I was surprised that Ethan hadn’t waited for me but he had other friends, too. Sandy immediately took me to the bar and I shook my head, waving away the red plastic cup. I was still underage and I didn’t really agree with underage drinking.

“No fun!” someone shouted over the music and I turned, shaking my head again and smiling.

Ethan was already drunk. He still wore his cap and he put his arm around my shoulders. He gestured at the crowd of gyrating young adults.

“See what you’ll be missing!?”

I scoffed as Samantha Morris vomited on Michael Tribb’s shoes.

“Oh yes,” I said while Ethan doubled over, laughing. “I’ll be missing so much.”

“Aw, those two were bound to break up sooner or later. Now Michael has the perfect excuse.”

“Yep.”

“You know who else is the topic of star couples?” he continued, stepping closer.

I sighed. “I’m going home, Ethan.”

“I’ll drive you,” he said immediately.

“No, you’re drunk.”

“I’m not that drunk,” he argued, pulling on my arm.

“No, Ethan,” I said firmly.

He stared at me and blinked a few times. Suddenly, he was kissing me. People around whistled and cat-called but I pushed him off of me.

“What the hell, Ethan!?” I shouted.

He just blinked at me as I stormed out.

“Wait!” he called when I started walking down the street. “Wait, Nova! I’m sorry! Just- Let me drive you home!” he said when he caught up with me.

“You’re drunk,” I snapped. “And I’m really pissed with you right now.”

He glared. “Yeah, the same goes for me! This whole time I’ve waited to kiss you and you embarrass me in front of all of our friends!”

“You can’t just go and kiss me out of the blue!” I argued back. “I’m leaving in a week, Ethan, and it doesn’t matter what you do! I’m still going! You, our friends, and our parents need to accept that!”

For a second I thought he was going to hit me. But he just grabbed my arm and dragged me to his car.

“I’m driving you home,” he snapped, pushing me to the car.

“No,” I said stubbornly.

Still glaring, he opened the door and shoved me in. He was scaring me. Had I really pissed him off that bad? Ethan was more responsible than this. He knew better than to drive when he was drunk.

“Ethan,” I began as he put the keys in the ignition.

“Shut up,” he snarled.

I clenched my jaw as he pulled out onto the street. I had an increasing sense of unease. The only thing that I could think of to comfort me was that Michael lived just on the other side of the Interstate from me.

Ethan gripped the steering wheel and I sighed.

“Ethan, about what I said-”

“Just drop it, Nova,” he said. “I’m trying to drive.”

I was about to argue when suddenly, someone was honking. I looked out the windshield and shouted just as the world went black.