Status: Rating for language and mature content

Supernova

Respect

I looked nervously at Ethan. James and Michael were staring at me but I was more concerned with the projector being hooked up to Paul’s laptop. I chewed on my straw.

“So, we did the investigation of the school,” Paul said and tapped the touchpad. “Here’s a diagram of where they were when you two went there. Good, right?”

“Yeah,” Ethan said slowly, looking at the slowly rising green line.

Paul sighed again and tapped the touchpad. I groaned.

“Here it is within the last two years,” he said softly.

The line turned red. It was sinking quicker than the Titanic. I ran a hand through my hair at the red line. The projection said that grades and school equipment would be at 5% by the end of the fall semester.

“We’ve already hit him with the fine,” he explained, passing us a piece of paper. “This was his response. He refused to speak to us in person.”

Government Pigs,
You should be ashamed of yourselves! You’re fining an innocent man!? You have no proof! Your so-called agents were lying to you! Come look at my books if you want! I’m not paying this money! If you come anywhere near my school, I will sue you!


“Jesus,” Ethan sighed. “So what did you do?”

“Looked at his books,” he said simply. “And it’s true. There’s no mention anywhere about him spending it on what he claimed. The receipts are all legit.”

I frowned. “So who did he lie to? You or us?”

He shook his head. “I don’t know but we’ve taken him seriously. If he plans on suing us, we’re going to countersue but the two of you are facing a lot of legal crap.”

I leaned back and immediately regretted it. I hissed in pain and Ethan helped me sit up normally again. I thought for a while.

“Ethan, are you still paranoid?” I asked, rubbing my right eyebrow.

“What?” he asked.

“Are you still paranoid?” I repeated slowly.

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“Can I borrow your computer?” I asked Paul and he nodded, sliding it over. “What’s the name of that website?” I asked Ethan. “The one with everyone’s Internet records?”

He narrowed his eyes and typed it in.

“What’s on your mind?” he asked.

“Just wait,” I said. “Account information.”

He typed that in, too, ignoring James and Michael laughing at him.

During high school, we had a new teacher. They were replacing Ethan’s favorite teacher so he found a dozen websites that he could use to look him up on. One he had to pay to use but it gave him all the dirt he needed. Of course, there wasn’t but he kept using it when we got a new student or teacher.

I typed ‘Ron Greene’ into the search bar and took a sip of coffee. As I suspected, several Ron Greenes popped up. I scrolled through until I found what I was looking for.

“Oh shit,” Paul said as a XXX website popped up. “You need to work for the FBI, Nova!”

“This doesn’t prove anything, though,” Elias said. “Just because he visited these sites doesn’t mean he actually spent his money on them.”

“Get a warrant,” I shrugged. “Have you officially closed the case?”

“No,” Paul said. “Is this website legit?”

I scrolled down to the bottom where there was the Better Business Bureau logo. He beamed.

“Perfect,” he said. “Well, with that information we could definitely make some progress. I’m sorry, Ethan, but I’m going to have to commandeer your account.”

“Go for it,” he shrugged. “I haven’t used it in years.”

“Okay,” Elias said when Paul left. “We need to put something out on the table now.” He frowned at James and Michael. “Nova wasn’t really at the hospital for a friend.”

Michael rolled his eyes. “We figured that out on our own. So where were you really?” he demanded. “Taking the week off for your period?” he taunted and I gripped my cane.

“Stop,” Ethan snapped. “This has nothing to do with her being a woman!”

“Actually, in a way it does,” I sighed. “Do I have to be in here for this?” I asked.

“Aw, worried you’ll start crying in front of us?” James asked.

“Shut up!” I shouted and he arched a brow.

“Never mind. Maybe this week is your period.”

“Oh my God. I’m going to kill him,” I groaned.

“Nova was beaten and raped,” Elias said and both men stared at me. “She was in the hospital recovering. You two will stop being like this toward her. It’s not her fault she was hurt just like it’s not her fault she’s a woman. If anything, you should be thankful she’s on our team. She could do us serious damage. Put your prejudice to the side. She’s back today because she wants to work. Her doctor didn’t want her to. She deserves respect, respect you haven’t been giving her.”

Neither of them spoke and I stared at my cane, drinking the rest of my coffee.

“That’s not what Jenny said,” James said and I closed my eyes. “She said you’re actually a prostitute and-”

“Stop,” Elias interrupted. “It doesn’t matter what anyone else has said. I am your boss and you will listen to me. Give her the respect she deserves.”

Michael slammed his fist on the table, pointing with his other hand.

“That’s exactly why women don’t belong on the board!” he shouted. “They’re weak! For all we know, she could have been asking for it! You don’t belong here! Get out!”

He jumped to his feet and pointed at the door. I just stared at him with a deadpan expression. Inside, though, I was shouting and ready to kill something.

“You heard him,” James snapped. “You don’t belong here.”

“Perhaps it is the two of you who don’t belong,” Elias said quietly. “Would you like to try and find employment elsewhere?”

James laughed. “Oh please. You can’t get rid of us. We’ll just go work for Tresser.”

“Actually, you won’t,” he said. “As a board member, you cannot work for a competitor. They will tell you the same thing,” he said when James opened his mouth to argue. “You have two options gentlemen: Respect Miss Harrington or find another job.”

They glared at me then both stood up.

“Just because she works with us doesn’t mean we have to give in to her feminine charm. We’ll stay,” Michael snapped, “if only to show you what it really means to have good workers.”

They went to their offices and I sighed.

“Elias, they’re never going to respect me,” I said. “I don’t know why you even told them what happened to me. They’re bound to tell others.”

“To be fair, if Jenny’s talking about it then others are, too,” Ethan said quietly.

“I’m sorry I told them,” Elias said. “But I meant it: You deserve a lot of respect, Nova.”

“I’m happy with what I’m getting from you and Ethan. Let’s just move on, okay? How is the Northbridge account going?”

“Great,” Ethan said with a smile. “We just have a few more agreements to make with them and then they’ll be ours.”

I laughed. “You sound like a mob boss.”

He laughed, too. “We'll make them an offer they can't refuse," he said, putting the fingers of his right hand together. "But, Elias, I don’t want to work with James on this one. I’d rather work with you or Nova.”

“I don’t know anything about it,” I said immediately.

Elias frowned at the table. “I’ll join you on it,” he said finally. “Nova, I’ve got some work for you that needs to get done as soon as possible. With you doing that and the boys are working on their work that will give us plenty of time to work with Northbridge.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Ethan said. “Do you want to break the news?”

“Yeah, I will,” he nodded. “Do you need anything special sent up here, Nova?”

“A pillow if we can manage it,” I said. “Just something to prop between my back and the chair.”

“You’ve got it,” he said cheerfully.