Status: Rating for language and mature content

Supernova

Cat's Out of the Bag

Ethan came by the house before and after work each day to check on me. I welcomed his presence especially after the fourth day.

It was lunch time and Ethan and I were texting back and forth. I sent him a picture of my swollen ankle and he sent me one back of him pretending to vomit. I laughed, earning a strange look from my mom. Before she could ask, someone rang the doorbell.

She got up and I looked at the TV, trying to decide what to watch, when I heard his voice.

“Hello, Miss Harrington,” Paul said and I dropped the remote.

“Paul,” she said. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to take care of Nova,” he said simply and I closed my eyes wearily.

Come by after work, please. He really did come.

I had just finished the text when Paul walked in. He smiled at me and put his suitcase down. I didn’t have a chance to speak as he hugged me gently.

“I’m so glad to see you’re okay,” Paul said.

“Thanks to my parents and Ethan,” I said. “I told you not to come, Paul.”

He sat on the coffee table across from me and checked my ankle.

“Have you been icing this as you’re supposed to?”

I pulled my leg away from him and he sighed.

“Go home, Paul,” I said. “I appreciate that you came all the way out here but I really am well taken care of.”

His eyes darkened. “Was this Ethan driving again?”

I clenched my jaw and my mom answered.

“It wasn’t a car accident, Paul,” she said and he frowned. “I’m sorry but we don’t have any room for you here.”

“I’ll stay in a hotel,” he shrugged. “I don’t mind.”

My dad came downstairs and, the minute he saw Paul, he started to swell.

“Out!” he shouted, pointing at the door.

Paul stood, holding his hands up as if he were surrendering.

“I’ve just come to take care of Nova, Mr. Harrington,” he said in a smooth voice. “Nothing more, nothing less.”

“She’s already being cared for,” my dad snapped. “Now leave. I told you I didn’t want you in my house again.”

“Please. Give me one more chance. I won’t do anything to hurt her. Surely you guys have things to do during the day. I’ll make sure she gets her ankle wrapped, her wounds bandaged, and her other wounds nursed.”

“Other wounds?” I repeated.

He smiled gently at me. “I know that Ethan has something to do with this.”

“No he doesn’t!” I snapped. “Do what my father said and leave!”

He shrugged. “I’ll be in the Motel 6 down the road. I’ll see you in the morning.”

My jaw dropped as he walked out with his suitcase. When the door shut, my parents looked at me.

“What was that about?” my dad demanded.

“Somehow he heard I got hurt,” I said. “He called to say he was going to come but I didn’t think he was serious. I kept telling him not to.”

“He doesn’t know what really happened?” my mom asked and I shook my head. “Do you know how long he’s planning on sticking around?”

“I have no idea,” I sighed. “Perhaps I should have seen this coming. He’s been calling and texting me more since graduation.”

“What are we going to do?” my mom asked.

“Shut the door in his face,” my dad said. “I’m not letting him in here with Nova alone.”

“We can have her stay with Ethan,” my mom suggested. “That way she can’t get harassed.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not running from my house just because my ex is a douche. No. We’ll just do what Dad said: ignore him. Maybe he’ll get the message and be out of our hair in a few days.”

“And if he’s not?” my mom asked.

The doorbell rang again and my dad glared, throwing his magazine on the table. He stomped to the door and threw it open. It wasn’t Paul, though.

“Did that idiot really come out here?” Ethan asked, walking in after my dad got out of the way.

“Yes,” my mom sighed. “And he won’t leave.”

Ethan arched a brow. “I can make sure he leaves,” he said darkly. “I can make sure he leaves for good.”

“Ethan,” I began.

“Your ex just flew across the globe to harass you,” he interrupted.

“Guys, he hasn’t harassed me!” I said, throwing my hands up in the air. “He wants to take care of me! He’s just stubborn!”

Ethan sat beside me, taking his coat off and draping it on the back of the couch.

“I don’t give a shit,” he said. “You’re my girlfriend and I’m not going to let-”

He stopped talking and I bit my lip. Slowly, we looked at my parents. Their faces were equally shocked and I rubbed the back of my neck. I didn’t have any idea what to expect.

“When did this happen?” my mom asked.

“Three days ago,” I mumbled, looking at my hands.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” she demanded.

I looked at Ethan and he shrugged at me.

“Because we wanted it to be kind of… secret for now?”

“What does that mean?”

My dad rolled his eyes. “It’s obvious, Beth,” he sighed, putting a hand on her shoulder. “You’ve been at them for so long, I’m sure they just wanted some privacy before you and Nora had the chance to pounce.”

I flushed as she stared at us. Deciding not to pretend anymore, I leaned into Ethan, closing my eyes wearily. Knowing that Paul was here made me angry. Ethan put his arm around me.

“Does Nora know?” my mom asked.

“No,” Ethan said. “Let’s all go out for dinner tonight,” he suggested. “We’ll tell her then and go from there.”

My mom sighed and I opened my eyes.

“Are you up to going out?” she asked.

I yawned. “I don’t know yet.”

“Where is Paul staying?” Ethan asked.

“Motel 6,” I mumbled, my eyes starting to fall. “I can’t believe that asshole actually did this.”

“Let’s get you to bed,” Ethan said. “I don’t want you to hurt your ribs.”

I pouted. “Fine.”

I avoided my mom’s face. She still looked hurt that I didn’t tell her but at least my dad understood. Would Nora understand, though?

Ethan shut my door and helped me get into bed. He sat down next to me and kissed my forehead.

“Well, the cat’s out of the bag,” he said and I laughed a little, yawning some more.

“Yeah it is. Is your mom going to be as upset as mine is?”

“Your mom is just upset because we didn’t tell her right away,” he said. He brushed hair out of my face. “Once the shock wears off, we’ll be hearing lots of-”

The door flew open and my mom ran in, a huge grin on her face.

“I knew it!” she screamed. “Oh, I knew it!”

“That,” Ethan finished and I smiled.

“That’s it. I’m bringing Nora here now!” she said.

“Mom,” I groaned. “Let me get some rest before I have both of you screaming in here, please.”

She giggled. “Okay.” She backed out. “I knew it!”

I laughed and Ethan kissed me gently on the lips. He was about to pull back but I stopped him. He pressed his lips to mine firmly and put his hands on my sides gently. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he slid his tongue into my mouth. I pulled until I was sitting up and his breath was heavy. I knew he was struggling to keep it innocent enough so I broke away.

“Keep kissing me like that and I’ll have to close the curtains,” he panted against my lips and I giggled. “Get some sleep, babe. I’ll wake you up when we get things sorted out with my mom.”

“And Paul?” I asked.

He frowned. “If he shows up tomorrow, I’ll deck him.”

I rolled my eyes with a smile. “No you won’t.”

“Don’t be so sure,” he said warningly.

Once I was on my back, he kissed my forehead then left, closing the door quietly behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's been so long. I've been having writer's block with this story and my other ones. It's horrible. I'm doing some brainstorming, though, so bear with me!