Status: Rating for language and mature content

Supernova

Panic Attack

When I got off the bus, it was raining. I put my jacket on and walked as fast as I dared back home. I walked in to the smell of spaghetti and my stomach rumbled.

“Welcome home,” my mom said with a nervous smile. “How… how was your first day?”

I smiled. “It was great.” We all sat at the table. “So is Ethan Preston the reason why you were so worried?” I asked them.

My father sighed. “Did he say anything to you?”

I looked at my spaghetti and twirled it on my fork.

“He wants to talk,” I said finally. “About what happened that night,” I added.

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” my dad sighed and I frowned.

“Why not?”

“He hurt you, Nova!” he said. “What if he tries to do it again!?”

“It wasn’t his fault the semi ran the red light,” I pointed out softly.

“But he was drunk,” he argued.

My mom sighed. “I think it’s probably a good idea,” she said. “It will give the two of you closure. Perhaps you can be friends again.”

I shifted. “I won’t lie… I kind of missed him.”

Silence fell on the table at my admission. I ate to give myself something to do. I wasn’t sure how the conversation would go on Saturday, but I hoped it really would bring us closure. I had never thought about him wanting to apologize for what happened.

After dinner, I went into my room and sighed heavily. Seeing Ethan Preston as a fellow board member was the last thing I had expected. Shit, I hadn’t expected that at all. I assumed he had moved to a different state; maybe even gotten married. From what I’ve seen, though, the only thing that has changed is his maturity and looks. I chuckled a little. He was even more handsome than he was in high school.

My mom knocked on my door and sat beside me on the bed.

“Tell me what you’re thinking,” she said.

“I’ll like working there,” I said. “There are two men that aren’t happy I’m there because I’m a woman. I’ll show them what a woman can do, though.”

“I’m glad but you know what I’m talking about.”

I shrugged. “It was a shock to see him. I didn’t think he’d still be in Oklahoma. If anything, I thought he would move away as soon as he got the chance. He always said that he hated it here.”

“Are you looking forward to talking to him?”

“It’s like you said: it might give us closure. I feel a little guilty,” I sighed. “Apparently, he wanted to apologize but I left before he could. I didn’t think he’d want to.”

My mom frowned at me. “Of course he would, Nova. He loves you.”

I stared at her. “No he doesn’t.”

She shrugged. “He did back then.”

I looked at my hands. Was that why he got so mad at the party after he kissed me? Because he loved me and I had rejected him? It would explain why he seemed to lose all of his common sense. I rubbed my eyes.

“I don’t want to think about it like that,” I said. “We’re coworkers, fellow board members.”

“You can’t be anything more?” she whispered.

“Not this again, Ma,” I groaned. “I just got back!”

She sighed. “Very well, Nova.” She kissed my cheek. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

-

I got there early again and knocked on Elias’s door.

“Come on in,” he said and I opened it. He smiled. “Ah, Nova! How can I help you?”

I shut the door and sat down in front of his desk. I bit my lip, rubbing my right eyebrow like I always did when I was nervous. He leaned forward with a concerned frown. I took a deep breath.

“There’s something you should know,” I began.

“Is this about when I hurt you yesterday?” he asked and I nodded. “Would you like some water?”

“Sure,” I mumbled. “Thanks.”

I took another breath.

“The day I graduated high school, I got into a car accident,” I said, deciding to leave out the specifics. “A semi T-boned my side of the car. The door crumpled in on me. It also broke in a few places. The metal cut my thigh, my stomach, my shoulder, and my face.” I cleared my throat. “The… driver tried to help me out but it only resulted in breaking my ankle. It never really came back all the way from the injury. Anyway, I was in the hospital for a month. The scars are still there and sometimes they reopen.”

He didn’t speak for a few minutes then pressed a button on his intercom.

“Hey, Ethan, can you join me?” he said.

“Sure, boss.”

I frowned. Why was he calling Ethan into the office?

“Do you want me to go?” I asked.

“No,” he said. “Stay there.”

“Okay,” I said and waited.

Ethan came in a few minutes later and hesitated. He shut the door and Elias gestured for him to sit down. Ethan glanced at me but I just shrugged.

“Yesterday, Ethan told me of a car accident,” Elias said and I looked at him.

“You told him it was you?” I whispered.

Ethan didn’t respond.

“Is this going to get in the way of you two working together?” Elias asked.

“No,” we said in unison.

“We have plans to… discuss it later,” I said.

Elias looked between the two of us.

“Good. Because I have a project that I need the two of you to work on together.”

“Why us?” Ethan asked.

“Because it involves Anderson High School,” he answered and we stared at him for a long time. “They’re facing some serious trouble unless we can help.”

“What kind of trouble?”

He shook his head wearily. “Tax evasion.”

“Idiots,” Ethan and I muttered in unison.

Elias chuckled. “Yes, I agree. Anyway, they’ve called on us for our help. Word’s gotten out that you’re back in town,” he said to me. “So, today I want you two to go over there and talk to the principal.”

I hesitated. “That’s a long distance away, Elias.”

He arched a brow. “So take a car.”

“Right,” I mumbled.

We left the office together and I grabbed my purse, locking the door. I followed Ethan to his car and stopped before getting in. Ethan stood on the other side, watching me over the top of the car.

“Anything I can do to make it easier?” he asked quietly.

I bit my lip. “Buy me coffee?”

He chuckled. “Sure.”

I opened the door and got in. I buckled my seatbelt and rolled down the window. Ethan started the car and pulled out of the parking garage. After going through the Starbucks drive thru, he headed to our old high school. It was a 30 minute drive and I put my head closer to the window. My left leg began to jiggle as I drank from my coffee.

I shut my eyes and remembered the breathing exercises my therapist had taught me. That just made it worse, though, and I moaned.

“Pull over please,” I breathed.

“Um… we’re on the Interstate. Do you need to use the bathroom or-”

“Pull over!” I yelled, gripping my coffee so hard the cup crumpled.

“Shit,” he said. “Shit I’m sorry. I didn’t even think about that.”

He pulled over and I threw the door open. I struggled out of the seatbelt, sobbing, but it wouldn’t unbuckle. Ethan ran over and took my face.

“Calm down,” he said firmly.

“Get me out,” I sobbed. “Please, Ethan. Get me out of this.”

“You need to calm down first,” he said. “Deep breath.”

“Get me out!”

He sighed and reached over. As soon as the seatbelt was unbuckled, I fell out and onto my knees. I sobbed and he hugged me slowly. I gripped his blazer and he ran his hand up and down my back.

I heard a car door open and shut.

“Is she okay?” a woman said.

“Yes, thank you,” Ethan said.

“Is she sick? We have some sick bags.”

“Do you think you’ll be sick?” Ethan whispered.

“No,” I mumbled. “I feel like I’m going to faint.”

“She’s fine,” Ethan said to the stranger. “Thank you again.”

“Okay,” the woman said slowly and I heard her walk back to her car.

“I’m sorry,” I muttered. “I’m okay now.”

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“Yes,” I whispered.

He helped me get back in and I looked at my crushed coffee cup, glad I had downed it before I squeezed it. He reached in the back and handed me a water bottle. I took a few sips and put my head in between my knees as he pulled back on the road.