Status: Rating for language and mature content

Supernova

Sexist

I stared as the bus pulled off. I sighed and walked back to my car. Should I tell her how I feel? If I did, what would she say? She would probably be upset; especially since she practically disappeared into thin air after our car accident.

I got into the car and drove back to my house. I hadn’t told her yet mostly because she would freak out. I pulled into my driveway just as Nova walked into her house. I still lived next to her parents even though they didn’t know either.

I looked around my house. It looked exactly like it did when I was growing up. My parents had moved to the other side of the city after I graduated. As if she knew I was thinking about it, my phone began to ring.

“Hey, Mom,” I said, going to the fridge to heat up some leftover lasagna.

“Hi sweetie,” she said. “How was work?”

“She’s not coming for dinner anytime soon,” I said.

She sighed. “Why not!? She’s back in town! It’s the perfect chance for you two to reconnect! You have a second chance!”

I closed my eyes and shook my head.

“Yes, we have a second chance,” I said and she made a happy noise. “To be friends again,” I added.

“Oh please, Ethan! You’re already friends!”

I leaned against the counter. “I have to go, Mom. My dinner will be done soon and I have to go in for work early tomorrow.”

“Just think about it, Ethan. You’re perfect for each other!”

I hung up and looked out my living room window where I could see her dining room. She was eating with her parents, gesturing as she spoke. She didn’t seem as upset as earlier. I shook my head again and ate my dinner quickly so I could get to work early.

-

Being a board member, I had a key to the building. When I walked into the lobby, there was a large box and I shook my head wearily. Once again, they delivered to the building instead of the mailroom like they were supposed to.

I leaned over. It had Nova’s name on it. I assumed it was her mini fridge but there’s no way she’d be able to carry it up. James walked in and smiled at me.

“Mornin’,” he said. “What’ve we got here?”

“Nova’s mini fridge,” I answered. “Can you help me get it up to her office?”

He smirked. “A woman who can’t even lift a fridge on her own shouldn’t be a board member.”

I rolled my eyes but he helped me carry it up to the office.

“Stop being like that, James,” I said. “She’s here to stay.”

“If you’re friends, then why aren’t you-”

“It’s not important,” I interrupted. “Let’s put it outside of her door for now.”

James followed me to my office and I ignored him as I pulled up my laptop. I rubbed my eyes. I hadn’t slept last night. I was too busy thinking about Nova. That would change on Saturday, though. I hoped.

“What?” I snapped when I couldn’t pretend to ignore him anymore.

“Why are you so open to the idea of a woman on our board?” he asked, leaning on the door jamb and crossing his arms.

I shook my head. “What are you, stuck in the 1800’s? Why are you so against it?”

“This firm has been operating successfully without mixed genders since we opened,” he said. “It’s like with ships: women are bad luck! She belongs as a secretary or something!”

“You’re such a sexist,” I grumbled. “Go get to work.”

He glared at me. “Michael and I aren’t for this,” he snapped. “You better join us. Four is just fine; we don’t need five.”

I just glared back until he left. I shook my head and started to check my emails. I got caught up and didn’t realize the time until I heard a yelp.

“What the hell!?”

I hurried out and cringed. She had bumped into the mini fridge box and was struggling with two coffees.

“Sorry!” I said, grabbing the coffees. “I forgot to warn you.”

She unlocked the door and pushed it open. “What is it?”

“Your mini fridge,” I answered and pushed the box into her office while she turned on the lights and her computer. I saw the box of receipts. “I had almost forgotten about that.”

“Which is why I brought coffee,” she said, handing it over.

“Thank you.”

“I didn’t know how you like your coffee so I guessed.”

I took a sip. “Mocha latte. Good choice.”

I pulled the chair over I had been using yesterday and sat on the other side of the desk. She frowned at the box and began pulling out where we left off. For a few hours we worked in silence. I didn’t know what to say but thanks to Ron, this needed all of our attention.

“You guys ready for lunch?” Elias asked, poking his head in.

“No time,” Nova sighed. “At least, not for me. Go ahead if you want.”

I shook my head. “No. I’m not hungry.”

“Okay,” Elias said. “Keep up the good work.”

Nova just waved distractedly.

“I think we have them all in chronological order,” she said when we reached the end of the day. “After that we can focus on the totals.”

“Agreed,” I nodded. I cleared my throat. “Do you want me to take you home?”

She bit her lip. “I don’t know….”

“Okay,” I said. “I’ll walk you to the bus stop then.”

“You don’t have to,” she said quickly.

“It’s not safe in this part of the city,” I pointed out.

“All right,” she chuckled.

I sat beside her on the bench and we didn’t speak. I looked at the ground.

“Same time tomorrow?” I asked when the bus pulled up after ten minutes of awkward silence.

“Maybe without a huge, heavy box in front of my door,” she joked and I laughed, standing up with her.

“Yeah, without the box,” I agreed.

Our eyes met and I bit my lip. I wanted to kiss her but we weren’t there yet. Hell, we weren’t even at hugging yet. Instead, I reached over and held her hand, squeezing it a little.

“See you in the morning.”

“Good night,” she mumbled.