Status: In Progress

A Black Cat Crossing Your Path

Sit Tight, Newbie.

"Parker!" said Abram rather cheerfully. "I want you to show Miss Hardy to her period two class, preferably ON TIME." He emphasised the last bit. Peter rolled his eyes, he would be late for second period anyway, it was lucky that he was even in for first. Peter Parker had been Spider-Man for just under a year now, after being bitten by a radioactive spider during a field trip to Oscorp set up thanks to his best friend Harry Osborn, who's father happened to own Oscorp. Harry's family were millionaires due to the company, and Peter always wondered how Harry ended up in a high school in the middle of Queens. He shrugged at the Principles request, not even looking twice at the person he was meant to be showing around.

"I want to be here probably as much as you do. So lets make this as painless as physically possible." he grumbled, exhausted from the long night of masked vigilante crime fighting. He rubbed the back of his tingling neck. "What class have you got?"

Felicia scrambled to look at her timetable, suddenly aware that her fellow student wasn't all that interested in making friends. "P.E." she read, he scoffed audibly. Offended, she looked up at him. "What's the matter?"

"You seriously picked P.E?" he chuckled. Dragging his heels as they trekked through the empty halls before looking down at her. As he did so, the tingling at the back of his neck- his spider sense- intensified to the point of discomfort.

"Yeah, I like it." she shrugged and broke eye contact. If he wasn't going to make effort, then neither would she.

"Nice." he replied dryly, coming to a halt at the entrance to the P.E. department. "There's the changing rooms. Sit tight, newbie."

Felicia turned to observe the gym, it was considerably smaller than her last school, and wouldn't put her abilities to the test whatsoever. It would have to do, though. "Thank you. I'm Felicia by the-" however, by the time she had turned round, the hall was empty. She let out an audible sigh, which echoed for a few seconds. For what seemed like a small eternity she waited for the bell to go before entering the gym, she was going to enjoy this.

-----

A piercing whistle blew which broke Felicia's concentration in her daydream. Herself and around 25 other students were stood on the race track outside of the school. The cruel January air nipped at Felicia's skin as she was clad in just shorts and a t shirt.She wasn't the coldest out of the bunch, though. Her nightly ventures as the Black Cat for the past six months has allowed her to build a tolerance to all kinds of weather. However, it was times like these she wished she could don her fur lined suit.

"HURDLES!" the coach nearly screamed. Felicia rolled her eyes. "Are you rolling your eyes newbie?" questioned the short haired, built woman who resembled a football player.

"No, Miss." she smirked, knowing she was pushing her luck.

"For that you can go first. Newbie up against Stacy, Allen, Michaels and Adams!" yelled the coach. Felicia sported an aura of great disinterest, she knew right now that she'd run all these other girls to the ground without a problem.

"The names Hardy." she smiled at the coach before placing herself beside a preppy looking fellow blond wearing a black headband. The prep looked at her and smiled.

"She'll lay off, eventually. Hopefully by the end of Senior Year." she joked, stretching. "I'm Gwen. Gwen Stacy. I'm still waiting for her to lay off." she made a face suggesting that she was always picked to run first. Felicia liked her.

"Felicia." she smiled.

"ENOUGH WITH THE FRIEND MAKING, STACY. YOU'RE ALREADY PRESIDENT OF THE STUDENT COUNCIL." yelled the coach from behind them. Gwen huffed and set her mark. "GO!" the whistle was blown and Felicia set off. Due to her superhuman speed, stamina and agility she had to play it down quite a bit, it would seem extremely suspicious if a 16 year old girl did 400 meter hurdles in 30 seconds. She deliberately dropped behind the other girls for a bit before picking up the speed before the finish line, coming first place. She bent over, exaggerating her breathlessness.

"WINNER VERSUS WINNER. NEWBIE VERSUS THOMSON." said the coach. Felicia looked over, a tall guy wearing a basketball jersey was laughing away with his posse, he was obviously head jock. Or head dick.

"C'mon coach, I don't wanna embarrass fresh meat on her first day." he chuckled, patting her on the head condescendingly. Felicia stayed quiet, playing up he vulnerability so this prick would have his ego crushed by a tonne of... cat.

"100 meter. Fastest time wins. GO!" coach blew the whistled and Thomson whisked off, Felicia hot on his tail. She could hear the other students egging him on, which just annoyed her. This guy didn't seem very nice. It came to the last 10 meters and she sped up considerably, laughing at his yelps of protest when she overtook him and crossed the finish line first. Everyone went silent. The bell for third period rang and everyone jogged inside to escape the cold, which just left herself and Thomson.

"That was fucked up." he said, pouring a bottle of water over himself. She bent down to pick hers up.

"What? Are you not used to being beaten by girls?" she took a drink.

"I'm not used to being beaten by anyone." he admitted, defeated. "Fair play, Felicia."

"How do you know my name?" she said, eyebrows furrowed. He didn't seem to be the type that called people endearingly by their forename.

"I asked around." he smiled. "I'm Flash."

"Not anymore." she poked fun at him.

"Don't push it. It's Eugene, but only because you beat me." he chuckled as they headed inside. She relaxed,it looks like she just made her first proper friend.