Status: In Progress

A Black Cat Crossing Your Path

Downpour

Peter and Gwen strolled through times square on their way to meet Harry, the light rain dampening the ground beneath them. Peter felt totally at peace for once, having a sister-like friend to rant to was nice sometimes.

"So, did you know that Felicia is dating Flash?" she asked, sipping her milkshake, she loved spending Friday nights in the city with Peter and Harry, especially now she knew she was safe with Spider-Man at her side. She felt somewhat guilty however, as he father was far from impressed at the masked antics Spider-Man constantly got up to. Gwen was glad that Peter had managed to be super conservative about his identity, unlike certain members of the Avengers, or her father would ban her from spending time with him. Again, her father wasn't too crazy about some kid that stops him from doing his job, and to an extent Gwen took it personally too. She was furious when Peter revealed his identity to herself and Harry, he had taken her father and the rest of the NYPD for fools, and she never pinned Peter as someone to belittle others.

"Oh great." he said sarcastically. "She's been at the school barely two months and shes already dating the biggest jerk in New York."

"Now now, Parker. Is that spite I'm hearing in your voice?" she chuckled, nudging him as they made their way through the crowds of people. Gwen didn't have to worry about her curfew or getting home on time, she knew Peter would just swing them across the bridge and back to Queens.

"Nah. I have a super strange feeling about her." he stopped and gestured to the back of his neck. "My spider sense. It goes crazy when she's around." he muttered to Gwen. She looked at him for a moment and then laughed.

"Seriously? If Flash Thomson is her boyfriend, I highly doubt she's any kind of threat, Peter." she smiled. "Or maybe someone has a crush!"

"Nah. I've never spoken to her." he admitted. "Although I was assigned to show her around on her first day but totally abandoned her."

"You what?" Gwen asked, stopping again. "Peter that is SO rude!"

Peter laughed, admiring how much Gwen was like a mother to himself and Harry. "I was trying to find out what was setting my spider sense off. I'm almost convinced that it's her."

Gwen rolled her eyes almost to the back of her head. "Enough spider-shit. Lets go get Harry, he'll be waiting."

---

"I asked my Father about her." said Harry, stuffing a large piece of apple pie into his mouth. The steamy air of the diner was blanching the windows which on-looked the quiet street outside. The visibility was compromised due to the pouring rain which cascaded down the window, almost like a waterfall.

"God, Harry chill. The pie isn't going anywhere." said Gwen as Harry shoveled another forkful into his mouth.

"No, see the thing is." he explained, finally putting his fork down. Peter and Gwen sipped their coffees and listened intently. "The Hardys are super crazy rich, almost on par with my Father. Walter Hardy is a successful scientific gadget manufacturer, which made him a millionaire. He sells to the likes of the FBI, CIA, S.H.E.I.L.D and people like that. And he's totally in cahoots with Tony Stark AND my Dad." Harry finished chewing. "The question is, why is she here?"

"What do you mean?" asked Peter.

"Why Queens?" he continued. "That's whats interesting me. Of all the fancy penthouses and homes in New York and it's surrounding areas. Why Queens?"

"She really lives in Queens?" asked Peter.

"Yah." Harry said, wide eyed and knowingly. "Her Mom and Dad got divorced just before Christmas, her Father stays somewhere in the Upper East Side, while her and her little bro went to go live with Mommy in Queens."

"Guys it's totally NOT cool to pry on people's private lives." said Gwen, putting down her coffee. "I'm sure she'd be pretty bummed if she heard all this."

"Oh c'mon. Live a little Gwendolyn." said Harry, raising his mug. She shot him a look and he sunk back in his chair. "My Dads hosting a celebratory party for some shitty new cross species serum that he invented in a few months. You guys better come and keep me sane."