Status: Engaged

Star Rust

The world was at war, thanks to a pompous world leader and poorly executed trades World War III tore through the planet like a plague. No one was spared and nothing was excluded. Chemical warfare was the norm and biological warfare broke out during the last seven years of a planet engulfing battle that lasted the better of fourteen years. The aftermath was just as bad. The United States was annihilated, disgraced and decimated from years of biological and chemical warfare. The world was at its knees, at the mercy of a planet slowly trying to heal itself but nothing was as it was.

After the war, the chemical and biological agents used left a stain on the people and the land. Animals were mutated and plant life grew in strange and sometimes fantastic ways bearing new fruits and new herbs to combat the damage of the war. But something else changed too. Human adapted to their new altered homeland, a new gene was discovered shortly after the war. People were found to have new medical miracles that would later become known as Enhancements. These Enhancements were brought on by the gene X carried by the mother and were usually brought on during puberty or traumatic or stressful events. This gene allowed humans to experience new and astonishing powers of the mind and body, but it came at great cost. When these Enhancements first came to be, the mere transition of the gene coming to fruition led some to go mad and violent while others used their newfound Enhancements for crime. Violent crime rates skyrocketed as did petty crime and suicide rates rose as some people just couldn’t handle the power behind their Enhancements. It was the darkest time for the US after the war, but luckily President Rumlow was elected and seemed to have all the answers. He was not an Enhanced but he was a young president, the youngest in history at only thirty-seven, and he had the funds to not only help rebuild the US after the war but fund a scientific organization dedicated solely to the Enhanced and their genetic maturity. The first Enhanced men and women who were sent to the labs for studies emerged stronger, smarter, and happier, wanting to give back to not only President Rumlow but the US. These Enhanced helped begin Rumlow’s next pet project, a military and police force based solely to deal with Enhanced. It would be made of Enhanced and deal exclusively with crimes involving the Enhanced populace and he named this force the Red Hand.

Unfortunately, as time went by Rumlow’s power and greed grew as most men fall victim to. He didn’t serve two four year terms as was the usual, no, after the war nothing was the same and fifteen years later Rumlow is still president and the Red Hand is notorious for violence as much as feared by everyone not just the guilty Enhanced. Every year there is a Reaping where children showing signs of the X gene are taken from their homes for testing, experimenting, training, and finally enrollment in the Red Hand.

If they survive.