‹ Prequel: Divided Throne
Sequel: Tangled Hearts

Tarnished Crown

Chapter Ten

Caspian was staying in a slightly smaller house that was adjacent to the summer manor his father and stepmother stayed in. There was a row of pear and apple trees that separated the two homes from each other, even serving to mostly block the view of the other house. He had hoped having this slight distance and vegetative wall would offer him some privacy and protection from his estranged family, but Helene was fuming in his foyer when he finished cleaning mud and rainwater from his person. He heard his stepmother before he saw her; she was arguing with Lara.

"You have no business showing up here unannounced," Lara said acidly. "Leave Cas alone and mind your own business. Won't the sunlight make you burst into flame or something anyway?"

"Don't you speak to me that way, insolent brat," Helene said shrilly. Caspian stepped into the foyer, still trying to dry his hair. He found Lara standing across from a red-faced Helene.

"What can I help you with, Stepmother?" Caspian asked. She rounded on him, blue eyes spitting fire.

"What do you think you're doing, still persuing the Aegaeran princess?" she demanded. "Don't think I haven't noticed you trying to worm your way into the royal family's good graces. How much humiliation will you insist on putting this family through?"

"It's humiliating to you that the royal family likes me?" Caspian arched an eyebrow.

"You are not a real member of this family," Helene practically shouted. "You are a stray mutt that Samson foolishly allowed into our home. He was so blinded by that whore woman's charms-"

"Shut up," Caspian bit out. "Stop calling my mother a whore. She is ten times the woman you are."

"What she is, is a common piece of Rehani filth," Helene spat. "And it's a good thing she finally went back to her stupid island."

"Rehan is comprised of twelve islands," Lara said. "If you'd ever cracked open a book in your miserable life you'd know that."

"Shut up," Helene snapped. She glared at Caspian again. "I still don't know what possessed that man to take you in," she said with disgust.

"He must like dogs," Caspian replied smoothly. "He took in a stray and married a bitter old bitch."

Lara let out a whoop of laughter and clapped. "Cas, I have never admired you more than I do in this moment."

"I said shut up!" Helene whirled and slapped Lara across the face. Caspian moved forward, towering over his stepmother.

"Get out," he said slowly.

"You can't tell me what to-"

"Get. Out. Or I will throw you out."

"You dare to threaten me?"

"Yes. I do."

There were several beats of silence, Helene and Caspian staring each other down. The tension was palpable. Finally Helene sneered and spun on her heel, stalking for the door and slamming it hard behind her. Caspian turned to inspect Lara's cheek. It was slightly red.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"It only stung for a moment," Lara said. "Rich pampered old cows can't physically hurt you too much; trust me my mother slaps me all the time. That's why they usually prefer to try and destroy you mentally and emotionally."

Caspian smiled ruefully. "They'll never break you."

"They can't break you either. Don't let her get to you, Cas. You're better than all of those other frilly men at court combined."

"Thanks." Caspian smiled, kissing the top of her head. Lara flopped across the sofa, scrutinizing him.

"Something did happen with Princess Prim, didn't it?" she asked. "You had a stupid look on your face when you got home."

"Ah-we got some new toys for Lucian because he's sick. And we got caught in the rain on the way back."

"And being soaked and covered in mud makes you smile like a lunatic?" Lara arched her eyebrow in that way she had that clearly conveyed she saw right through a person.

"I...may have kissed her," Caspian admitted sheepishly. "And she may have kissed me back."

Lara rolled her eyes dramatically. "Gross."

Caspian laughed. "Go read your books."

"Actually I was thinking you, Harrison and I would go out tonight. The three of us haven't gone out on the town in a while. Let's go exploring."

That was how they found themselves in a tavern with a sprawling patio occupied with street performers dancing and playing instruments. The tavern was mostly full of both Aegaeran soldiers and guards, and it didn't take more than a saucy smile from Lara to get her closest to the bar to get mugs of ale for all of them. Caspian shook his head and grinned while Harrison sighed. They sat at a table that overlooked the patio and Lara delicately sipped her ale.

"Do you even like this stuff?" Caspian asked.

"It's disgusting," Lara said. "But Mother and Father dearest would never even let it into the house."

The three of them sat in silence for a while, watching the performers outside. Lara went to fetch more drinks and Caspian felt someone bump into the table, nearly knocking his half empty mug to the floor.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-oh. It's just you."

Caspian looked up to see the lanky military boy that was always hanging around with Belle.

"Yes, it's me," Caspian replied mildly. "Brett, is it?"

"Rhett," he corrected, scowling slightly. Lara returned, arms laden with mugs. She jutted out her hip to push Rhett out of her way. His scowl disappeared instantly, replaced with a bright smile.

"Lady Everhart," he said, bowing. Lara set the mugs down and studied him, hand on her hip.

"You're the one who's friends with the princess," she said. "The criminal turned military advisor, if I'm right."

"You know who I am?" Rhett arched an eyebrow back at her. "Been asking around about me, milady?"

"I make it a point to know about everyone," Lara replied coyly. "Makes it easier to blackmail them later."

Rhett laughed. "Everyone already knows my dark secrets, I'm afraid."

"That's what you think." Lara smirked.

"If you'd like to try and uncover something, I'd be happy to offer you a dance," Rhett said. Lara considered for a moment before shrugging and following him. Harrison watched them go, shaking his head.

"Poor guy. Has no idea what a handful she is."

"He'll find out soon enough," Caspian chuckled.

.::.::.::.::.


Lucian seemed to be feeling much better when Caspian saw him again several days later. He insisted on showing Caspian all his new toys while they waited for Belle, seeming to completely forget that Caspian had been there when Belle chose them.

"Sorry I'm late. I was just getting ready." Belle hurried into the room, her cheeks seeming to turn slightly pink when she saw Caspian.

"Hello," he said, standing suddenly.

"Hi". There was a moment of silence before Lucian broke it by asking why they were just standing around.

"He's eager to be outside again after being sick," Belle said.

"Of course. Ah. Did you manage to get the dress clean? From the other day?"

"Oh. Yes. Eliana wasn't happy about it but she managed to save it."

"Good."

"And your jacket?"

"Salvaged, just barely."

"Good."

"Hurry up!" Lucian called impatiently from ahead of them. "You two are acting weird today."

"Weird? No one is acting weird," Belle said quickly.

"Caspian, I'm having a birthday party next week," he declared seriously.

"Are you?"

Lucian nodded excitedly. "Yeah! I'm gonna have a big party! It's Auntie Belle's party too because she's having her five hundredth birthday."

"She is?" Caspian asked, trying to hold back a laugh as Belle rolled her eyes.

"Yeah her birthday is just a couple of days before mine."

"What's it like to have five hundred birthdays?" Caspian whispered to Belle. She nudged him with her elbow, making a face. Caspian remained quiet for a while after that, an idea forming in his mind. He sat down in the grass beside Lucian and started sketching.

"Lucian, I need you to help me with an important mission," Caspian whispered. "And we need to keep it a secret, all right? Just between you and me. Can you do that?"

"I'm good at keeping secrets," Lucian said.

"Good. Here's what I need you to do."