‹ Prequel: Divided Throne
Sequel: Tangled Hearts

Tarnished Crown

Chapter Nineteen

Five weeks. Five weeks had passed since the picnic with Oskar, and Belle had received no letters from Caspian. She sent one every day, and could only the address so many times. She made sure her letters were on the ship to Rehan personally, but once the ship left, she was powerless to follow it. Since then, Helene had managed to set Oskar and Belle together at least three times a week. Belle wasn’t an idiot. She knew where this was going. With her title and Helene’s personality, it was clear that Helene was trying to set her son up with a princess and weasel her way into the royal family. If Caspian had bothered to even say hello, Belle would have laughed at Helene and Oskar, brushing them off easily. Now, she didn’t really care.

Alec and Lily grew concerned about her. Lily, more than Alec, since she knew about what was really going on with Caspian. She knew that Oskar was garbage, and couldn’t comprehend why Belle was willingly spending time with him now. Belle didn’t quite understand it, either. In a way, it may have been a rebellious act against the idea of love. She’d opened up her heart again, and it was starting to become apparent that she’d let Caspian in far too soon. There were a lot of things he’d said before he left, but it seemed he’d been in contact with everyone but Belle. Even Helene had gotten a letter from him, though she wouldn’t say what was in the letter. Belle was just another girl to check off a list.

On the day Caspian was supposed to return, Belle was with Oskar and Helene again, having tea in the garden. Belle was anxious to go to the docks and find Caspian herself, demanding answers, but unfortunately there was no way she could convince Oskar to come with her to see his no-good brother. Instead, she kept an eye on everyone and everything, waiting for him to miraculously pop up out of nowhere.

“So I told him I was allergic to peanuts, but he put peanuts in my food anyways-”

“Is Caspian coming back today?” Belle asked, interrupting Oskar's riveting story about peanuts.

“No,” he said flatly. “Did he tell you he was coming back?”

“Yes,” Belle frowned.

“Of course he's staying in Rehan,” Oskar smirked. “Why would he come back? He has absolutely nothing here, and the girls over there are dying to spread their legs.”

Belle set her teacup down a little too hard, shaking the table a bit and surprising Oskar. This reaction also caught the attention of Helene, who as always, was chaperoning. She sighed, snapping her fingers for Oskar to get up and take a walk. He did so almost immediately, and Helene sat in his place, taking both of Belle’s hands in hers. She'd never seen the unpleasant woman look so pleasantly sympathetic.

“You've been hurt, Belle,” she said softly. “I know how it is. I know what it's like to wait for someone who will never come for you. Someone you care for, but could only wish that they cared back. But I know Caspian. I've known him his entire life. He's not the man you think he is, and he isn't coming back. And I am so sorry he made you believe otherwise. I'm here to tell you that men are snakes. The lot of them. All you can do is find one that can keep your reputation up high instead of dragging it down. From there, just live. Without depending on anyone.”

Belle said nothing, looking down at her hands in Helene’s.

“How about you and your family come visit us for dinner, this time?” Helene suggested.

“Alright,” Belle squeaked.

When they left, Belle retreated to the mirror room where Alec and Lily were with Lucian. She told them what had happened, and the invitation to the Everhart residence that night. Alec and Lily exchanged a sort of nervous glance before looking towards Belle, who was unusually calm.

“It doesn't make sense,” Lily said. “Why wouldn't he come back?”

“Who?” Lucian asked.

“Because that's just the sort of person he is,” Belle said. “It's not news.”

“Who?” Lucian repeated desperately.

“She's right, Lily,” Alec said. “We know what the rest of that family is like. The lot of them are horrid. What makes him any different? He was still raised by them.”

WHOOOOOO?” Lucian cried, tugging on Alec’s sleeve.

“You're not an owl, Lucian,” he scolded. “Have you picked up your paints in the other room? If I step in them again, so help me, I will throw them all out. You know I will.”

Lucian sheepishly climbed off Alec’s back and shuffled out of the room to pick up the paint tubes he'd likely left on the floor, before his father took them away. Lily kept her eyes on Belle, a sad look on her face.

“Don't just give up, Belle,” she said softly.

“There was nothing to begin with,” Belle said. “Nothing to give up.”

That night, Belle and the entire Aegaeran and Elbian court had been invited to the Everhart residence. Even King Hamilton and Queen Gloria came, accompanying Annemarie and Joshua. They didn't like large parties or the Everharts, but they went for the sake of their children. Rhett hadn't been invited, since Helene found him to be too scruffy and unkempt to have around, but he showed up anyways. Helene didn't dare try and have him removed in front of Alec. Holden hadn't been invited either, because his scarred face and eyepatch from his time in the war was considered hideous and Helene couldn't have that around, but he also showed up, surprising everyone when he accompanied Annemarie. A classic tale of a beauty and a beast, in a way. Annemarie absolutely adored Holden, despite the rugged appearance.

Belle stayed close to Rhett, clinging to him for dear life. There had never been the tiniest romantic feeling between them, and neither of them could stomach the thought of being together in that way, but Belle had to admit that having her good friend’s arm around her was a comforting feeling. He was always warm, and he'd promised not to drink or do anything crazy that night. He eventually had to hand her over to Oskar again after dinner, who led her in a couple of sloppy dances before Helene silenced everyone and turned their attention on Belle and Oskar, while she eagerly watched them from Samson’s side.

“Um, so,” Oskar started off shaky, seemingly nervous with all eyes on him. “I've known the princess for some time now. She's very nice. And pretty. And I’d like to ask her a question.”

Belle felt her blood turn to ice as he got down on one knee. She could hear her heart pounding in her ears, and the temperature in the room felt like it had dropped to below freezing. There was some hushed mumbling as Oskar said a few more things, but she couldn't hear him while her ears were ringing. Not until he said the words, “Will you marry me?” Belle’s eyes flit over, scanning the crowd. Alec and Lily looked absolutely mortified, and Lily was subtly shaking her head. Lucian looked disgusted, clinging to Lily’s skirt. Rhett looked just as disgusted as the child, but he didn't bother trying to hide it. Annemarie had turned pale, knuckles white from clutching Holden’s arm too tightly. Dominic and Tobias both looked at her with a sort of fatherly concerned look. The father and the would-have-been father in law, who couldn't comprehend what was happening to the little girl they cared so much about. Helene was shaking with excitement, while Samson Everhart just looked bored and impatient. Nearby, Belle also noticed the cousin, Lara. She had a cold glare locked on Belle, arms crossed over her chest. Finally, Belle looked back to Oskar, and the sweat that was forming on his forehead from all those eyes on him, not to mention Belle’s uncomfortably long pause after his question.

“Yes,” she said softly, without thinking much of it.

The guests began to clap awkwardly, everyone sort of uncomfortable by the situation. Helene pointed to Belle as Oskar stood up, mouthing something to him that Belle couldn't quite catch. She didn't get much of a chance to look, at least, before Oskar pulled her forward and kissed her. She stiffened for the short kiss he quickly pulled away from, watching as he wiped it off right after. He backed away as Belle’s family rushed to her. They threw lots of questions out, but Belle couldn't hear them. She was in a daze. Finally, she heard Lily.

“You don't love him,” she whispered sharply.

“I know,” Belle said. “That's the point. I don't want to love anymore. I just want it to be over.”

She pushed through them to get out of the room, desperate for some fresh air. This time, Lara was the one who followed her. The teenager boldly shoved Belle, though she barely seemed to notice.

“Who do you think you are?” Lara demanded.

“A princess of Aegaera,” Belle said calmly. “What the hell are you?”

“You can't just betray Caspian like that,” she snapped. “He gave you everything.”

“He didn't give me anything,” Belle said. “He betrayed me. He threw me away, just like everyone else. Left the first chance he got.”

“What are you talking about?” Lara said, wrinkling her nose. “He talks about you like a goddess.”

“So he writes to you, too,” Belle said in a flat tone.

“You mean… He doesn't write to you?” she asked, angry expression mixing with confusion. “Wait, but-”

“I'm done here,” Belle said, cutting her off. “Don't bring him into this anymore. Just stop.”

Belle brushed past Lara, surprised the girl didn't follow her or say anything more. That night, Belle wrote her final letter to Caspian. This one held little to no emotion, unlike all the others.

Dear Caspian
Caspian,

I'm marrying Oskar. He asked me, in front of everyone. They say it's a good match. I won't have to see him much, but at least I'll be paired off and won't have to worry about trivial things like love anymore.

I'm sorry I let myself get too excited. I genuinely wish you best in Rehan. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Sincerely,
Isabelle