‹ Prequel: Divided Throne
Sequel: Tangled Hearts

Tarnished Crown

Chapter Twenty-One

“It's awful!”

“It's wonderful!”

Belle stared straight ahead at her reflection in the mirror as Lily and Helene argued over the frilly mess of a wedding gown she was wearing. Belle wasn't the tallest of girls, and the massive hoop skirt of the gown along with layers and layers of tulle practically buried her. The top had long sleeves with large bows at the shoulders, and Helene had the gown altered to cover up most of the chest.

“You can't even see her in the dress,” Lily argued. “Belle needs to wear something plain, simple, and form fitting to bring more attention to her beautiful face. Not this pile of tulle. She can't even breathe, you've clinched the waist so tight! And the neckline? It's atrocious.”

“Why would anyone want to look simple on their wedding day?” Helene protested. “Belle is far too busty. We can't have that bouncing all over the place. She's getting married, no one else is supposed to look at her like that. And needs the help of a corset to help tame the curves.”

“Take them? You're trying to suffocate her!”

“If you can't breathe, it's working. That's what my mother always said.”

“Belle, do you even like this gown?” Lily asked.

Belle hadn't moved a muscle, staring at her reflection. She was hideous. Not because of the dress, either. She hadn't slept since the proposal a few days back. Partially because Helene insisted the wedding happen by the end of the week, before anyone got a chance to change their minds. Mostly, however, because she felt like she had put her life in Helene’s hands, and she was slowly dying from it. There were dark circles under her eyes and her face was so pale it was almost gray. Her hair had lost its usual shine, and was a frizzy mess she hadn’t bothered to comb, simply tying it into a messy braid. If someone was seeing her for the first time, they’d think she was terminally ill.

“I don't care,” she said in a flat tone.

Everyone went silent, and Helene nodded with a smile, turning to the designer who'd brought the custom designed gown over.

“We’ll take it, thank you.”

She walked the designer out, and Lily helped Belle undress, putting her in something much more comfortable and pulling a brush through her dark hair.

“Do you remember a long time ago, I made you a promise for your wedding day?” she asked. “We found your mother’s wedding gown, and I promised I'd have it fixed for you to wear?”

“I don't want to wear it,” Belle said. “My mother made that dress herself. Despite them both being poor, and no advantage coming out of the marriage, she loved my father and married him anyways. Had no money to buy a dress. That gown represents something. Oskar is not it.”

Lily nodded in understanding, taking a seat next to Belle and kissing her cheek.

“You're sure you want to do this?” she asked softly.

“I'm sure. I want the pain to end. This is how it can happen.”

“Alright. I love you.”

“Love you too,” Belle said, feeling the slightest bit of relief when she was finally able to say those words to someone and genuinely feel it.

Helene did most of the planning. Belle was like a zombie the whole time. She didn’t decide on the colors, or the decorations, or the cake, or even her own bouquet. None of it was her style, but she didn’t care. This wedding wasn’t for her. It was for Helene. She just stared straight ahead as Helene forced Lucian into a frilly little green outfit with a pink bowtie. He squirmed and yelled to try and escape her, but Annemarie had little to no say against it, Belle was dead inside, and Lily refused to be in the same room as Helene.

“I don’t want to wear it!” Lucian yelled. “It’s a girl outfit!”

“No, it’s for boys!” Helene promised him. “Oh, but you’ll look so precious, with those rosy cheeks and cherub face! I hope my grandchildren look like you!”

“You best hope they take after Belle’s side of the family, then,” Annemarie mumbled.

Helene finally managed to put Lucian in the frilly outfit, with long sleeves, tight pants, and a massive bow around his neck. Like he was a puppy. It was matched with a hat, that also had the big pink bow.

“He looks like a cupcake,” Belle said in a flat tone.

“He’s perfect,” Helene grinned.

“I’m sad,” Lucian muttered.

Helene tried to touch him again, but he ran away, straight into Belle’s arms. She set him in her lap and sort of cradled him, despite how he wasn’t a baby anymore. The fabric was stiff and must’ve been itchy.

“It’s only for one night, Lucian,” she whispered to him. “I promise. No one will ever hurt us again after that.”

Lucian just stared up at her with big eyes, not sure he understood what she meant. He’d noticed something off about Belle, and she could tell it was starting to have an effect on him, too. Helene and Annemarie left the room so Belle was the one to deal with Lucian, as she took that horrid outfit off of him and wrapped him in a soft blanket instead of putting him back in what he had on before. He crawled back into Belle’s lap, resting his head on her shoulder.

“I miss Caspian,” he whimpered.

“He’s not coming back,” Belle said bluntly.

“How come?”

“He’s happy somewhere else.”

“Like Daniel?”

The words felt like knives plunging into her heart.

“Yeah,” she said softly. “Like Daniel. We had to let him go.”

“Does this mean that Oskar is going to be my uncle?” Lucian asked.

“He will be my husband,” Belle said. “Whether or not he is your uncle is up to you.”

Lucian went silent for a few moments, but Belle could feel his big blue eyes on her, watching her and wondering why tears were welling up in her eyes. He reached up and wiped a tear from her face, sitting up to give her a big, sloppy kiss on the cheek. For the first time in days, Belle cracked a smile.

“I want you to always be happy Auntie Belle,” he declared.

“Do you know what will make me happy?” she said. “Will you make me a promise?”

“Okay. What promise?”

“Promise me that you will always treat women respectfully, like you would want to be treated,” Belle told him, tilting his chin up. “And that you’ll always be my number one man. No matter who puts that ring on my finger. You’re my very best.”

“I promise,” he grinned.

His smile was contagious, and Belle was grinning too, cuddling him close and laughing as he complained about how awful that frilly green outfit was. Unfortunately, the joyful moments were short-lived. Just a few days later, Belle was back in that ugly gown, with her hair done in tight ringlets and a short veil, as opposed to the long one she always imagined she’d wear. Lily was quiet, and offered to wear something equally hideous, but Belle told her not to bother. This day wasn’t special to her in any way. She still looked awful and miserable, and her skin had a grey-ish tint to it that no amount of rouge could fix.

Tobias was reluctant to meet her just outside the chapel to walk her down the aisle. He cupped her face in his hands, studying his daughter’s face. She gave him a weak smile, and he looked like he was going to tear up himself. And not in a good way. He pressed a kiss to her forehead, pulling her into a hug so suddenly that it even surprised Belle.

“First Alec was tearing himself apart,” he mumbled. “Finally managed to settle him down with a wife and son, and now you’re the one tearing yourself to shreds. I must be a terrible father.”

“You’re the best father in the world,” Belle assured him. “I’m happy. This is what I want.”

“It’s a lie, but I know I can’t stop you. Just know that it’s not too late to run away,” Tobias told her.

“I know,” she said. “I’m tired. I can’t run anymore. Will you walk me down that aisle, or do I have to go myself?”

“Wait!”

Tobias and Belle both turned as Lara came running down the hall, barefoot and clutching her skirt in her hands. Her cheek was slightly red, as if she’d been slapped.

“You have to wait,” Lara said, grabbing Belle’s arm as she tried to catch her breath. “I lose my shoes on my way running here, so you’re lucky I’m here to save you from being a dumbass and ruining your own life. I don’t even know why I bother.”

“Are you going to say something, or are you just here to bully me on my wedding day?” Belle asked, unamused.

“Caspian has been writing to you,” Lara snapped, glaring at her. “Stupid Helene and her stupid face had all the addresses on the letters changed by some man in Rehan, so they were sent to her instead of you. He’s been writing to you. I saw the letters.”

“Where are they, then?” Belle asked, voice shaking.

“Huh?” Lara frowned. “Gone. She burned them all in the fireplace before I could take them.”

Belle’s heart sunk again. Lara was lying. No one could tamper with royal mail, not even Helene. And the proof was all gone? That was awfully convenient.

“I appreciate you trying to protect your cousin’s honor, but it’s a little late,” Belle said. “I don’t want to hear more lies.”

“You mean you’re still going to go through with the wedding?” Lara said, dumbfounded. “You’re so stupid. I risked my ass to come here and you-”

“It’s over, Lara,” Belle snapped, seemingly surprising Lara with how suddenly harsh she was. She must’ve looked pretty scary with that appearance, too. Like an angry witch.

“It’s over,” she repeated, tone flat.

At that moment, the entrance music started. It really was over. There was no turning back now.

“It’s over,” Belle said once more, locking eyes with Lara and feeling them well up with tears again.

This time, the amount of hurt in Belle’s eyes even seemed to get to Lara, and the girl’s expression just slightly softened.

“Princess, it’s only beginning.”