‹ Prequel: Divided Throne
Sequel: Tangled Hearts

Tarnished Crown

Chapter Seven

Belle woke up feeling like she was on the verge of death. She'd been fine the night before, but woke up coughing and feeling like she wanted to throw up. When Eliana arrived to help her get ready, Belle could barely talk, her voice was so hoarse. Eliana told her to stay in bed, scolding her like a small child as she started tending to the fireplace to warm up the room.

"It's because you're out in the gardens every day," she snapped, putting a pillow behind Belle's head and brushing her hair out of her face for her. "Well of course you're going to catch something. And I always tell you to dress a little warmer, but do you listen? No, never. Serves you right, getting sick."

"I don't have the energy for this," Bells croaked. "Yell at me later."

Soon after, there was a light knock on the door. Lucian poked his head in, looking from Belle to Eliana and back to Belle. He was clutching his paints and pads to his chest as he approached her bed, startled when Eliana told him to stay back.

"Why're you still in bed?" he asked. "We have to meet Caspian today."

"I don't think we can go today," Belle told him quietly. "I'm not feeling so well."

"What?" Lucian said, turning as pale as she was. "But we have to go! Please?"

"Look at her, she looks like the rat that brought over the plague," Eliana said bluntly.

Belle wrinkled her nose, then turned back to Lucian.

"Eliana can take you," she told him.

"I don't want to go with Eliana," he whined. "I want to go with you."

"I'm sorry, Lucian. I'll be better for next time," she sighed.

Eventually, Eliana managed to usher Lucian out of the room. Belle was finally alone, and spent most of the morning nodding off to sleep or being tended to by a couple other maids. Alec checked on her at one point, sitting on the edge of her bed and feeling her forehead with a slight grimace.

"This happened overnight?" he asked.

"You know I always get sick like this," Belle sighed. "It's a day or two of sudden misery, and then I'm alright. I feel bad, though. Lucian was so upset I couldn't take him to see Caspian."

"I meant to ask you about that," Alec said. "Caspian... He's that Elbian boy, right?"

"That's the one."

"Have you two been... Close?" Alec said, a slight grin playing on his lips. "You know what I mean? Seeing each other."

"No, no," Belle said a little too quickly, shaking her head. "He's Lucian's friend, not mine. I just supervise."

"Belle, save it," Alec smirked. "You think Lucian doesn't come home and tell me all about how much you two talk? You were so fascinated with each other that he managed to walk all the way into town without either of you noticing."

"He told you that?" Belle frowned.

"Of course he told me, I'm his father," Alec said, laughing. "You know that boy, it's a miracle if he ever stops talking. He learned a bad word from me once and I told him that the word was going to be our secret, and he couldn't say it to anyone. First thing he does? Runs to Lily and tells him that he has a secret. We both got in big trouble that day."

"You’ve taught him bad words more than once,” Belle giggled.

“I know, but that’s not the point,” Alec said. “Stop trying to change the subject. Do you like Caspian? And I won’t be upset if you do. I promise I won’t get overprotective or involved.”

“Alec,” Belle sighed. “Please, you know I don’t see him like that. Not just him. Anyone. You know I… can’t. I don’t have that energy left inside of me.”

“Right,” Alec mumbled, looking down. “I just worry about you. And what’ll happen if you’re weighed down by it forever, and never let go.”

“You’re one to talk,” Belle said, turning in bed to face away from him.

She heard him sigh, then felt his hand on her shoulder, lowering his voice to a much quieter, gentler tone.

“I miss him too, Belle,” he said. “Every day. Daniel and Evan were brothers to me. Without them, there is an empty hole in my heart that no one could ever fill. I won’t deny that. I’m not asking you to replace him, Belle. No one could ever replace him. However, that doesn’t mean that someone else can’t make you very, very happy. As happy as he did, if not more. Now, I’m not saying Caspian is that man. I’m just saying you should open your heart. To everyone.”

“I’m not feeling well,” Belle mumbled. “I think I want to go to sleep.”

Alec sat there for a few moments longer, then Belle felt him stand up and leave the room, closing the door gently behind him. Belle felt bad, shooting her brother down like that when he just wanted to help, but she didn’t want to discuss the situation. Ever, really. It still hurt her heart when she thought about Daniel. His eyes, his smile… She almost started crying at the thought of it. She managed to sleep a little bit longer until she felt a pair of small hands shake her awake.

“Auntie Belle? Are you awake?” Lucian whispered.

“I am now,” Belle yawned.

“I made soup so you can feel better,” he said.

Belle slowly got up out of bed, seeing Lucian smiling and Caspian holding a tray with a bowl of soup that didn’t look too appealing, and a rose from the garden on it. Belle turned red when Caspian saw her in the half-dead state she was in, but she knew that he probably wasn’t all that eager to walk into her room just like that, either. They were both doing it for Lucian.

“I also painted you a picture,” Lucian said, putting a parchment in her lap. “That’s me, and that’s you, and that’s Caspian. And that’s the lake. And we’re all playing together.”

Belle couldn’t help but smile as she looked over the painting, smile wavering when the tray was placed before her. Clearly, Lucian had made this recipe all on his own, using Caspian for help with the heat and the knives. She wasn’t sure exactly what was floating in the brown liquid, but with Lucian staring up at her like that with such a big, hopeful smile, she couldn’t not try it. She hesitantly sipped a spoonful of his soup, and felt herself get even sicker.

“Oh, Lucian,” she said, voice cracking. “This is wonderful. How thoughtful of you, you sweet boy. Thank you so much.”

“And I brought you Izzy!”

Lucian put Belle’s old doll on the bed beside her, grinning wide. Seeing the doll put a smile on Belle’s face. She’d had it since she was three years old, and the poor thing was falling apart. The porcelain doll once looked just like her with silky black locks of hair, sparkling blue eyes, and a pretty red silk dress. Around her wrist was a tiny woven bracelet that Daniel had made her when they were children. However, after years of love, the doll was now missing an eye, patches of hair, had a broken leg, and the dress was practically in rags. Still, Belle loved it as much as she did when she first received it.

“You feel better? You can come to the lake now?” he asked hopefully.

“I think it might take a little bit for your potion to work,” Caspian whispered to Lucian.

“I told her it was soup!” Lucian whispered back. “Don’t let her find out it was a secret magic potion!”

“I think she’ll find out soon enough,” Caspian promised. “Maybe you should give it a little time. Hey, why don’t you go find Snowball? I’ve heard so much about her, and I’d love to meet her.”

“Okay!” Lucian beamed, running out the door and calling for the small lap dog Belle had given him when he was just a baby.

She sighed, leaning her head back on the pillows as Caspian took the tray away. He had obviously realized that Lucian’s “potion” was disgusting, and was trying not to laugh.

“I’m sorry,” he chuckled. “Lucian was miserable with Eliana there. It gave him art block, believe it or not. I suggested that maybe he should do something to help you feel better, instead. He came up with the potion idea. His grandfather, your father, is a magic user, yes? Must’ve been inspired by that.”

“It’s the thought that counts,” Belle sighed, hesitating and brushing her fingers through the doll’s hair before speaking again. “Thank you. For being with Lucian while I’m stuck in bed. You didn’t have to deal with the troublesome boy.”

“That troublesome boy has been the highlight of my week, as of recent,” Caspian laughed, looking at the doll. “Izzy, huh? Isabelle. Izzy and Belle. That’s clever.”

“My mother and father got her for me when I was three years old,” Belle explained. “She used to be beautiful. They had her custom made to look like me. It meant a lot when I was younger, because my family didn’t have the money to buy us toys. Buying this for me meant that they had both worked extra long hours. She was so, so beautiful. Life has torn her apart. I suppose it’s done the same to me, though.”

“Well, you’re both still beautiful,” Caspian said, making Belle blush slightly. “That's an interesting bracelet around her wrist. Did you make that?”

“No,” Belle said, a little hesitant. “Someone… Very dear to me made that for the doll. A long time ago. He made a second one my size, and a third he wore around his own wrist. It was a secret he kept, all the way until… Well, never mind.”

Belle went silent, looking down at her hands. Caspian didn't know about Daniel and the severity of the situation, but he did understand that it wasn't something Belle liked to talk about. He suddenly seemed to remember something, reaching into a bag he’d left on the floor and pulling out a few books, tied together with string.

“I was at the bookstore with my cousin, Lara,” he explained. “I saw these, and they reminded me of you. It’s not much, but I hope you like them. Something interesting to read while you’re trying to ignore me.”

Belle cracked a smile, untying the string and examining the books in the stack. Caspian had remembered that she liked reading about history. He’d gotten her a book on the first magic users, one on early politics, and one on Elbian history. She felt her cheeks turn slightly red at the kind gesture, keeping her eyes on the books and running her fingers over the cover.

“The store owner looked at me funny when I told him it was a gift,” he said. “I don't blame him. I was unsure when I bought them, too. They seemed sort of bland. I can always exchange them for you if you don't like them.”

“No, they're perfect,” she said with a slight smile. “Thank you, Caspian.”

They were silent for a moment until Lucian ran back into the room, carrying the fluffy white dog and thrusting poor, startled Snowball into Caspian’s arms. Snowball was trembling, but Caspian was quickly able to calm her down.

“Do you like dogs?” he asked Lucian.

“I love dogs!” he giggled.

“Boy, do I have a dog to show you."