One Week, Thirteen Days

One Week, Thirteen Days

One week, thirteen days… that is the small amount of time that I knew him. I didn’t think it was possible to fall so madly in love with someone in that amount of time but somehow Harry made it possible.
We’ve gone to the same school since Harry moved here in the third grade, though we didn’t officially meet until the last day of high school. We were both running down the hall, as everyone in our graduating class was doing, trying to get out of the building as fast as we possibly could. We were both running so fast and tried to squeeze out of a single door at the same time (we failed miserably) and ended up falling over, Harry on top of me.
We stared at each other for what felt like forever but in reality was just a few short seconds, and in those few short seconds, I caught a glimpse of a beautiful soul just bursting to be free. We started laughing and both apologized to each other for our clumsiness. When Harry got up he held out his hand to me showing he wanted to help me up. I grabbed his hand and he gently pulled me off the ground. Even after we were both standing upright again, we still didn’t let go of each other's hands. There was a strange feeling happening inside of me caused by the feeling of my hands in Harry’s. It felt like his hands were made for mine, that we were meant to be.
“Hey. I’m Harry.” He said “Jayde,right? I don’t know how we’ve gone to school together for so long and have never actually met. “
“Yeah, I know. It’s crazy, but yes I’m Jayde.” At that moment, Harry’s best friend Liam started calling him. Harry yelled to him, letting him know he was on his way. He looked at me, wink, and took off running again. I watched him run away until I couldn’t see him anymore. Little did I know that the interaction between us would affect the rest of my life.
I was laying in bed the next day thinking about Harry, I just couldn't get him off my mind. I wanted to know what he was like, what kind of things he liked, what his hopes and dreams were. I knew it was crazy, we’ve barely even spoken to each other but I couldn’t get the thought of him to go away.
I was just about to get up and find something to do with my life when there was a knock on my front door. My mom must have answered it because the knocking stopped and I could faintly hear my mom talking to someone. A few seconds later there were footsteps coming up the stairs, I figured it was my mom because there is no one that I know that would be here so I ignored it and continued daydreaming about Harry. There was a light knock on my doorframe. I looked up to see Harry standing there. He was so gorgeous, his long brown hair was tossed to one side and his beautiful green eyes were glowing with amusement, probably because of the shocked look on my face.
“Hey Jayde, I’m here to steal you away,” Harry said, laughing slightly at himself.
“How do you know where I live? Better yet, why are you at my house?”
“One. You live two doors down from my best friend it’s not that hard to figure out where you live, I’ve known for like three years. Two. I want to hang out with you, so enough with the questions. Let’s go.” Harry grabbed my hand and pulled me off my bed, out the door, and into his heart.
He took me to the pier to play games and ride the Ferris wheel. We had a blast together. It was odd how natural it felt to be around Harry even though we barely knew each other. After we messed around at the pier for a bit we laid on the beach watching the sunset. Harry eventually pulled me into his arms and had me lay my head on his shoulder.
“Jayde, I know that we don’t really know each other but I really like you, have for a few years actually. I was always afraid to be rejected, but with graduation next week, I don’t want to risk losing you. I want to know you better than anyone does.” Harry whispered to me. I looked at him and blushed and told him I felt the same and as soon as the words left my mouth Harry leaned in and kissed me. Sparks exploded and I knew that this was meant to be.
From that day on Harry and I was inseparable. We spent our days learning everything there was to know about each other.I felt like I was in love with this perfect person, who after just six short days told me he was falling in love with me. We kissed more than anyone should, and on day seven Harry asked me to be his girlfriend and of course I said yes.
On day eleven we lost our virginity to each other, and it only confirmed what we already knew. Harry made everything in my life seem perfect. I couldn’t imagine my life without him now that I had him.
On day fifteen we were cuddling on my couch and Harry seemed to be really nervous.
“Babe, what’s wrong?”
“I love you so much,Jayde. I’m not saying that we need to do this anytime soon and I know that I’m absolutely insane but…”
“Spit it out, Harry!”
“ Will you marry me one day Jayde?”
“Yes, of course, Harry,” I exclaimed giving him a hug and kissing him over and over.
I knew that I had found my other half, my best friend, my soulmate and he made it clear he felt the same.
On day seventeen we made plans to never leave each other, that no matter what we would stick by each other. We would go to the same college, we would live together, get married, have kids, grow old together, die together and even though everyone thought we were crazy, we knew that it was meant to be and neither of us could love anyone else.
On day twenty everything changed, though. It had been twenty days since Harry and I fell deeply in love and that was the last day I would ever see him….

I was laying on my couch late that afternoon when Harry walked in with Liam, who was slowly becoming one of my best friends as well.
“Hey babe, there is a huge party tonight at Jake’s. Come with?”
“No babe, I’m good, you go and have fun,” I replied leaning up to give him a kiss.
Harry pouted a bit but ended up going anyway.
Four hours later there was a knock on my door, my first thought was Harry but he never knocks anymore. When I opened the door I saw Liam standing there looking very upset and distraught, the second he saw me he collapsed on me, crying. He told me that there had been an accident and though it was hard to understand him through his tears , I knew that Harry was involved and it was bad. I started panicking yelling at Liam to tell me that Harry was okay but after several minutes Liam choked out that Harry was gone, that he didn’t make it.
We sat in silence for close to an hour, both of us crying. Eventually, Liam was calmed down enough to tell me what happened.
“Harry and Jake, who were both quite intoxicated, decided that they needed more alcohol. I swear I tried to stop them, I was screaming at Harry not to go, but he just insisted he would be fine. They hit a tree, Harry wasn’t wearing a seatbelt and flew out of the car, the cops said he died on impact. I’m so so so sorry Jayde. I tried to stop him, I tried.” Liam said, crying hard again,
“It’s not your fault Liam. Don’t blame yourself. I just can’t believe he’s gone.”
That was the moment that my world fell apart. The person I was in love with, my best friend, my confident, my future was gone and our epic romance was over. I didn’t know how to go on, what was going to happen in my future, how I was going to make one that didn’t involve Harry. All I knew at that moment was that my soul was shattered and my heart was broken.

I took me several months to get back to normal after losing Harry, it took me those several months to realize that the pain was never going to go away and I would always love him, but I did move on.
Even now after ten years, my marriage to my wonderful husband Liam and the birth of our beautiful daughter, I still miss and love Harry and every now and then I get a twinge of pain when thinking of him.
It’s hard to believe that after only one week, thirteen days I fell in love and fell apart. He taught me to love unconditionally and taught me that it is possible to move on after losing something so important to you and for that I will always be grateful for the one week and thirteen days Harry gave me.