Never Let Me Go

The Ending (Reality)

They had both packed bags, clothes and other necessities mixed with a few sentimental items they felt they couldn’t part with. Lily had brought some of her favorite books, Matt had brought a football.

They’re belongings intermingled in the trunk of Matt’s car, which he had picked Lily up in just before dawn when they knew they could sneak away easily without being found out.

Lily had jumped into Matt’s arms on the sidewalk, dropping her bag and wrapping her arms and legs around his torso, lips crashing together in an ecstatic kiss. She never wanted to let go of him, but the sun was rising and they had a lot of ground to cover before each of their parents realized they were gone.

They had dreamt of this day.

Of long winding roads, and sunshine on their faces as they laughed and smiled, and the sound of the waves breaking over sandy beaches.

But that’s how it remained. A dream.

Lily came to, the sun blasting down onto the car making it hard to breathe in the small space. Her head pounded in pain and confusion as she tried to figure out what was going on.

She took in the shattered windshield, the smoke billowing from the front of the car. She felt panic rising in her chest, in her throat, smothering her so that her breathing came out in short gasps.

She turned her head to see Matt beside her, blood streaked down his face, head back and eyes closed.

“Matt?” She felt the tears racing down her cheeks already, and fumbled with her seatbelt ignoring the pain that came with every movement. Her hands reached out to him, shook him. “Matt, please wake up.”

She sobbed, taking in labored breaths, her head spinning, vision blurring.

This wasn’t how things were supposed to end. They were supposed to live happily ever after, fulfill their dreams.

They were in love, they were free, they were eternal.
♠ ♠ ♠
The end.