Friends Always Have Your Back

Friends Always Have Your Back

"And Nyquist with the..."

He went silent for a moment before resuming not intending to have to commentate a player's downfall during the game.

"Possible head injury that will keep him out of the next few games at least."

The medics rushed to the ice and took him away on a stretcher. The game resumed quickly, but his teammates didn't forget about his absence. During an intermission Hank and Niklas sat down in the locker room.

"Kronner look, the poor kid is so young, he's still in his rookie year, and he's probably scared shitless about his career and wellbeing. I think you and I should take turns being with him and caring for him. Alright?"

Niklas thought for a moment and nodded.

"I think we can do that. I'll pay him a visit after the game."

They finished the last period 5-2 and celebrated accordingly. While the rest of the team indulged in alcohol and pizza, Niklas and Hank went off (sober of course) to the Detroit Medical Center to visit their friend and teammate...and rookie, Gustav. When they entered the room he was under some pretty hardcore drugs along with an oxygen mask and usual hospital things. They went over and sat in chairs next to his bed. While Niklas moved his hand through his silky ginger hair, Hank gently took his cold hand in his and rubbed some warmth into it.

"Hey Gus. It's me and Kronner. We're going to take care of you once you get out of here alright? They said you should be able to go home tonight."

He looked at them with hazy eyes and squeezed his hand weakly in thanks. He wasn't able to walk, but the doctors confirmed it was safe for him to leave and that if any problem arose to bring him back immedietly. They released him and Hank took him into his home. He fluffed the pillows in the guest room, laid down fresh sheets and a warm quilt his mother gave to him before he moved to be used when guests were over. Gustav was wheeled in by a paramedic and he was helped into bed. The medic left the two alone and Hank sat beside him.

"How are you feeling kid?"

Gus brought his hands to his head and sighed.

"Awful. I won't be able to play for at least 6 weeks Captain. I've let you and the team down."

Hank shook his head and gave him another shot of painkillers.

"You didn't let us down scamp. There was no way that was your fault. You need to stop worrying and start relaxing."

He grabbed a bottle of water and helped him drink some of it before pulling the quilt over his shivering body.

"You just rest now alright? I'll be just in that chair over there if you need me."

Gus fell asleep within a few minutes and Hank stayed up with him all night in case something happened. The next day he had to skip practice and called Niklas.

"Hey, Kronner. Think you take over the shift this time? I'm exhausted."

"Sure thing! I'll be there soon."

They hung up and within a few minutes, he was at Hank's house, and Hank went upstairs to bed. He walked over and sat beside Gus and lightly rubbed his back.

"Hey Gussie. Think you can eat something for me?"

The rookie merely whimpered and waved his hand toward the door to indicate that yes, he could try. Kronwall went downstairs and made his world (or maybe just league) famous oatmeal and helped him get some of it down with water as well.

"There, good boy, kiddo. Now you just rest."

He sat there with him for a while until Hank was feeling better rested and took back over.

"Hopefully we can nurse him back to health and get him ready for his first Olympic game."

Niklas chuckled.

"He's a damn good player. Especially for being so new in the league. We'll see where it takes him."

They both stayed with him overnight, and within 6 months he was ready to get back out there and kick the shit out of the opponent.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's short. It was a requested story from a friend and I completed it within an hour.