Status: Contest entry

Abyss

01

In a tavern men in a drunken haze roared with laughter as they downed bottles of rum and enjoyed the freedom of not being under orders of their Captain. It was the night they were free of all constraints and able to be themselves. Able to enjoy their liquor and the much welcomed company of women who threw themselves at them. Cheeks flushed from the humidity in the room the sweet smell of their perfume mingling with the rancid smell of mens sweat and the rich undertones of rum. The chirpy sounds of a fiddle could be heard heard amongst the laughter and smashing bottles.

One man sat secluded in the corner of the building his eyes down cast as he looked over his scarred hands that shook violently. In all his eighteen years he had seen things, many bad things, but in all his years he had never seen anything like he saw only a day earlier. He saw an Armada of the Kings ships disappear underneath the waves in mere seconds, there was no disturbance in the water to signify what was happening. One minute they were there the next they weren’t.

“Edward!” his name was called over the noise, snapping his head up he saw his friend smiling drunkly two blonde whores hanging of his arms, their painted faces giving the false impression of perfection. “Are ye comin’ man?”

“No, go ahead Tobias,” the sandy haired male didn't need anymore prompting he nodded his head and turned exiting the building the ladies giggling and pressing kisses to his skin leaving marks of red. Edward ran his fingers through his hair and inhaled deeply. It had been a long day and the alcohol he was consuming was having no effect on him, his thoughts were still solely on the disappearing fleet of ships. His intentions had been to drink himself into a stupor take one of the women from the tavern and have a night he would enjoy but never fully remember.

“Why, Lad. Ye look like ye’ve seen a ghost,” a gravelly voice came from in front of Edward. Lifting his head he saw a heavily scared man, rings decorated his fingers and one eye was the colour of milk. The man sat down taking a long swig from his bottle his good eye scoping the room, trying to take everything in.

“Aye,” was all the sandy haired male could muster.

“Tell me Lad. Your paleness not be from that disappearance of the Kings ships?”

“How’d ya know that?” Edward asked quickly.

“News travels fast in these parts Boy.” once again the male took another swig of the bottle. Edward looked closely at the male, his skin was dark and leathery from years exposed to the sun, several golden hooped rings hung from his right ear and his fingers were glittered with rings. “Now lad, what be your name?”

“Edward.”

“Ah Edward, you be under the command of Captain Boothey?”

“Aye.”

“Then you be the one who saw the Armada disappear?” Edward swallowed heavily as the memory flashed through his mind again an uncontrollable shiver ran down his spine. A husky chuckle left the older male, a sign that he was a smoker, a man with failing lungs. “It be a sight to behold I’m sure Lad, but I be surprised that ye survived.”

“How do ya mean?”

“Have ye never heard the tales Edward?”

The sandy haired male shook his head, he had no idea what the man before him spoke of. He had heard many tales of the sea over the years, the sirens that appear on the rocks at night and sing in voices so beautiful they cause men to fall to their death. He had heard of storms so strong and waves so high that ships are swallowed. He had heard tales of Davy Jones Locker and what awaits soldiers lost at sea, but nothing of this.

The man chuckled again before taking another swig of his drink before turning his attention to Edward. Both his eyes locking on the male causing him to feel uneasy.

“Men say there is a creature Edward. A creature in these seas that causes any sea man to quake in his boots. This creature dwells in darkness, it rises from the abyss with no disturbance. A silent killer. As you saw, it can take down Armadas in seconds and leave behind no trace. It is said to be the pet of Davy Jones.”

That didn’t help ease the uneasy feeling that was blooming in the pirates stomach. “What is it called?”

“The Kraken, it is known all over those parts. Normally it destroys everything in it’s path, but why it spared your ship is very interesting indeed.”

“Do you think it is targeting ships?” Edward asked eager for an answer, he had to get an answer, anything about this creature could help him if his crew ever fell into it’s clutches.

“It is possible. Edward people say that once the Kraken is upon ye it is the end, the Kraken is the last thing ye see before enterin’ Davy Jones Locker. The last thing a man sees before he is taken from this world and placed in another, another more painful and labour-some. Ye my boy it seems can live another day, but be wary, you never know when your ship will disappear and ye will come face to face with Davy Jones himself.”

Having finished his speech the man got up threw a few silver coins on the table and walked out of the tavern whispering a rather unsettling tune. Edward was quick to his feet he had to find out more about this Kraken creature, and he had yet to find out the man’s name. Pushing his way out of the tavern he was surprised to find the elder man had vanished into the night, yet the unsettling tune he whistled clung in the air.

Edward listened as the tune moved along slowly, he followed it hoping he would find the man again. After a few minutes he made it to the water and it was there he caught a glimpse of the man just as he disappeared underneath the waves.

He had gone but the whistling remained.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! How are you all going! Here it is finally, this one took me a little while to write but I have finally finished it and I love it!

I would love to hear what you all think about it as well :)

Thanks for the recommendations and Subscribers you are all such wonderful people.

Anyways, till next time
Cheers Esther :)