‹ Prequel: I'd Lie
Status: Please comment and let me know your thoughts!

Innocent

Chapter IV

“And you didn’t question his spontaneous choice?” I yelled.

“It’s not spontaneous! He’s been in love with you his whole life, Maddie! He just couldn’t always show it,” Kelsey explained.

“You’re right. I mean, Kevin didn’t show his love for Dani while he was famous, and Joe couldn’t do it for you either. That’s just illogical!”

“Stop. You’re frustrated. I get that. You and Nick just need to sit and talk, and soon. I really don’t want this party to end as quickly, or as badly, as Nick’s last ‘Welcome Home’ party.”

The flashback of our parents announcing mine and Nick’s arranged marriage flashed through my mind. I haven’t thought about that moment in such a long time. I sighed, and commended Kelsey for being right.

“Who knows, maybe he will become romantic like his brothers,” she winked.

~~

After hours of decorating the Jonas house, I decided to go home. As I drove, I thought about what Kelsey had said. Nick and I really do need to talk. If we don’t, I may live the rest of my life miserably.

As I pulled in the driveway, I saw Dasher running around outside. No big deal, my brother is probably home from college and decided to come over. Dasher ran to me as I stepped onto the rocky driveway. Picking him up, I noticed a piece of rolled paper tied to his collar.

“I know we can get higher
There's levels to your love
And I keep on climbing up*”

A smile spread across my face as I read the lyrics to Nick’s Levels. If he is willing to try, I should allow him to talk. “Where is he, baby boy?” I asked Dasher, who responded with a lick to my nose. I returned him to his feet, and he scattered toward the house.

As I opened the door, I smelled one of my all-time favorite smells; chocolate and peanut butter chip cookies. The smell engulfed me as I made my way to the large kitchen, which is my favorite section of the house. A plate of cookies sat on the counter. I bit into one, and the gooey warmth filled me. Another note sat beside the plate.

“Get on my elevator, baby we're going up*”

Does he really expect me to fall for this? Actually, it is working extremely well. Nick knows I have a hopeless romantic nature, and this “treasure hunt” is more on the romantic side.

I climbed the stairs, which Nick had decorated to look like an elevator. This boy had more time on his hands than I originally thought. I reached the master bedroom with Dasher at my heels. I pressed my ear against the door. I heard Nick strumming on his acoustic guitar. As I slowly opened the door, Nick started to sing.

“I can't get your smile out of my mind
I think about your eyes all the time
You're beautiful, but you don't even try
Modesty is just so hard to find

Now I'm speechless, over the edge
I'm just breathless
I never thought that I'd catch this love bug again
Hopeless, head over heels in the moment
I never thought that I'd get hit by this love bug again**”

Hearing him sing a song written by him and his brothers made my heart skip a beat. I smiled as I leaned against the door frame, lost in his voice.

“How did that sound, Maddie?” Nick’s speaking voice brought me back to earth.

“It was beautiful,” I simply stated. There were no other words for it.

Nick stood from the king-sized bed and turned toward me. I sucked in a breath. I hadn’t noticed Nick was shirtless in jeans while sitting on the bed. I hate to say it, but Damn! This man looked well, but I wasn’t going to fall that easily.

*Nick Jonas- Levels
**Jonas Brothers- Lovebug