‹ Prequel: I'd Lie
Status: Please comment and let me know your thoughts!

Innocent

Chapter IV

“Really?” Kelsey and Danielle questioned in unison. They looked at each other, then back at me with their eyes wide. “Tell us more!”

I laughed. “I will later tonight once the kids are all in bed and the boys aren’t bothering us.”

“I wasn’t aware we bothered you ladies,” Kevin stated, wrapping his arms around Danielle’s waist, giving her a peck on the cheek.

“As a matter of fact, I believe we add enthusiasm to your lives,” Joe added as he scooped Kelsey up in his arms.

I looked at the two couples, in love with one another for years. I spotted Nick in the crowd behind them, greeting people kindly as he made his rounds.

Kevin followed my gaze. “Did you and Nick talk yesterday? He seemed anxious to get home and surprise you.”

I smiled. “Yeah, we talked.”

“Awe, look at you!” Kelsey giggled. “Your smile gets bigger and bigger every time someone mentions you and Nick in the same sentence.”

I could feel my face heating up. “Um, I’m going to go find my dog. I’m sure he’s with the kids.”

They laughed as I quickly walked away.

~~

Once eight o’clock rolled around, I helped Kelsey and Danielle put the kids in bed. By midnight, guests began to trickle away. Once all guests were gone, the six of us had started putting alcohol into our systems.

“So, are you going to tell us what happened?” Danielle asked as we sat on the patio. The boys were far enough away in their treehouse that they wouldn’t hear our whispers.

“Fine,” I huffed, and I told them everything that had happened yesterday, right down to the details of this morning.

“And he’s taking you on a date tomorrow? Oh, I’m so happy for you!” Kelsey squealed.

“Honey, can you keep it down?” Joe yelled. “I can hear your squealing from up here!”

“Shut up, Joseph!”

We all laughed at her, Dasher barking along with us at my feet.

“So, Nick didn’t even kiss you yet?” Danielle asked. I shook my head. “I am so proud of that boy. He is really changing for you, Maddie.”

I smiled at her, playing with my hair like a little school girl, blushing like crazy. I looked up at Nick. He was radiant as he smiled and laughed with his brothers. I smiled thinking about his happiness.

“Maddie!” Nick yelled, knocking me out of my trance.

“What do you want, Jonas?” I yelled in return.

“Can we leave? My brothers are picking on me.”

Again, we all laughed in unison.

~~

I awoke the next morning in my bed, not sure as to how I got there. I sat up slightly, my head pounding like crazy. Removing the blankets, my eyes grew with shock. I was only wearing my undergarments. There was no way I had slept with Nick, is there?

“Oh, you’re awake!” Nick said from the bathroom. He leaned his muscular body against the door frame. The only thing covering him was a dark purple towel. A smirk played on his lips as I quickly covered myself back up in the blanket.

As Nick walked closer to me, I began to panic more and more. “Relax, Maddie. We didn’t do anything last night.”

My body slammed against the pillows, the relief of sleeping with Nick off my chest.

“But how did I get home?” I asked. “More importantly, why am I practically naked?”

“I brought you home last night. You and the girls started drinking a little too much, so I stopped drinking early in the night. I managed to get you out of your dress because I know you can’t sleep in one as you tried to get my clothes off me.”

“I did not!” I exclaimed.

“You did, too!” Nick exclaimed back. “After I got you in bed and lied down myself, you got on my back and said ‘Come on, Nicky! I know you can’t resist all of this!’” He mimicked my drunken self by running his hands down his “curves.”

“Please kill me,” I whispered.

Nick laughed loudly. “Get dressed, beautiful. It’s time for our date.”