Status: Would love some feedback

Dying of Thirst

One

“See a pastor,

Give me a promise.

What if today was the rapture,

And you completely tarnished

The truth will set you free,

So to me be completely honest.

You dying of thirst.

You dying of thirst,

So hop in that water and pray that it works.”


“Are you seriously telling me that we are not hitting them tonight?!” Danny’s voice began to get louder as she faced two fellow members of her gang. The young woman closest to her sighed and ran a shaky hand over her face.

“Dan, you know perfectly well that they’ll be waiting for us.” The older woman, who stood just out of the light from the streetlamp overhead, replied in a calm voice.

“How the fuck can you say that to me?!” Danny charged the woman in the shadows, stopped only by the girl in the middle.

“Dan stop! We can’t do this here!”

“Get the fuck off me, Jen!” Dan pushed Jen hard and she fell against the lamp post. Danny grabbed the shirt of the older woman and shook her. Jen quickly stood to pull Dan off but she got an arm wave from the older woman.

“Rhea, are you sure?” Jen asked and Rhea nodded her head.

“Why the fuck aren’t we going after them?!” Danny asked once again through clenched teeth.

“They’re expecting that, Danny. I know you know that.” Danny clenched Rhea’s shirt in her fist one more time before collapsing to her knees with tears streaming down her flushed cheeks.

“My sister…” was all Danny was able to get out in between choked sobs. Jen and Rhea went to their friend and tried their best to console her. They each all tears of their own fall for their fallen friend and they didn’t hear an approaching shopping cart.

“Excuse me?” The man behind the shopping cart said, getting gasps from the girls as they quickly stood up placing hands on the concealed weapons on their hips. “Oh, I’m terribly sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I just couldn’t help but overhear your conversation. I just wanted to offer my condolences. I knew Maggie, she helped me out quite a lot.” Danny squinted her brown eyes to try to get a better glimpse of the man. He walked closer to the glow of the streetlight and she saw he was a homeless man, which made sense to Danny because she remembered Maggie mentioning something about meeting up with a man she was trying to help.

“You’re Warren, aren’t you?” Danny asked as she lowered her hand and relaxed a bit. Jen and Rhea exchanged looks as the man known as Warren stepped closer.

“Yes.” He was now fully under the street light and he extended a hand to Danny. “I know that you’re Danny. Maggie had nothing but good things to say about her big sister.” Danny didn’t shake the man’s hand. She just gave him a scrutinizing look.

“Who are you exactly?” Jen asked. Warren turned to her and cleared his throat.

“To answer that, do you think we could go somewhere more private? There’s a little 24-hour burger shop a few blocks away called…”

“Julio’s” all three girls answered in unison. Warren smiled.

“Maggie loved their French fries.” Danny said softly as she began making her way out of the glow of the street light and down the street in the direction of Julio’s. Warren, Jen and Rhea followed.

With huge piles of hot crispy French fries in front of them, Jen once again asked Warren who exactly he was.

“I used to be a pastor down in Louisiana. I came up to New York to try to help with the homeless here. I gave up everything to try to help people in need, only to become one.” He took a sip of water before continuing. “One night, I decided that I’ve had enough and was planning on throwing myself over a bridge. Right when I was about to let go, I heard a voice call out from behind me. It was Maggie.” He looked over at Danny who was eyeing the full plate of French fries that her sister would’ve devoured by now. She slowly brought her eyes up to meet Warren’s. “Maggie talked me out of ending my life and I had decided to give myself back to Jesus. Maggie asked if I could do the same for her. She told me about the life that you girls were living and how badly she wanted out of it.” Rhea clenched her eyes tight, letting a few tears fall. “I helped her. I showed her how she could let Jesus into her heart and on that night at this very table, we both gave our souls to the Lord. I can help you three as well. If you want out of this life, if you want to stop dying of thirst and finally take a drink of the Lord’s holy water, then take my hands.” Warren extended his hands over the piles of French fries and looked Rhea, Jen and Danny each in the eyes. The girls, very hesitantly, took his hands. “Now repeat after me, Lord God I come to you a sinner,”

“Lord God, I come to you a sinner,”

“And I humbly repent for my sins.”

“And I humbly repent for my sins.”

“I believe that Jesus is Lord,”

“I believe that Jesus is Lord,”

“I believe you raised Him from the dead.”

“I believe you raised Him from the dead.”

“I will ask that Jesus come into my life,”

“I will ask that Jesus come into my life,”

“And be my Lord and Savior.”

“And be my Lord and Savior.”

“I receive Jesus to take control of my life,”

“I receive Jesus to take control of my life,”

“And that I may live for him from this day forward.”

“And that I may live for him from this day forward.”

“Thank you Lord Jesus, for saving me with your precious blood.”

“Thank you Lord Jesus, for saving me with your precious blood.”

“In Jesus name, Amen.”

“In Jesus name, Amen.”

Danny couldn’t control the wave of emotion that flooded her. She felt like a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She turned to Rhea and Jen to see them likewise affected.

“Today is the start of a new life for you girls.” Warren said with tears in his eyes. The girls smiled at each other and shared an embrace. Warren picked up a French fry and smiled up to the Heavens’ having no doubt that Maggie was smiling back down at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys enjoy! i really hope this is good enough to win:) please leave some love!