She Wolf

The meeting

Earth wasn’t the first planet that Tora had been sent to observe, but it was the first one that harboured more than darkness and despair… it harboured life. It was inhabited by life forms known as humans, strange creatures in Tora’s opinion and like nothing she had ever encountered before.

Each human was different with varying skin colour and features; even the way they communicated was different. The land beneath her paws was firm and their buildings were tall, but it was something much simpler that really caught Tora’s attention… the sun. Tora spent her entire life in darkness, never stepping foot under the powerful rays of the sun and it felt great. The gentle heat upon her fur and the way it seemed to brighten the human’s auras… it was like magic.

Weaving her way through the trees, Tora suddenly stopped and tilted her head to listen. As she listened, the sound of humans talking reached her ears and a soft melodic sound seemed to pull her towards them. Keeping to the shadows, Tora watched as the group talked and then she spotted him.

Something about this particular human sent chills down her back and Tora knew that he was special, but she had no idea why. Darkness quickly fell as she observed the man’s actions closely and gradually the other people began to retreat into their little houses, except for the man… he remained seated by the fire.

Opening her mind to her surroundings, Tora focused on the man’s emotions and her heart sank. Sadness was all around him, suffocating him to the point of near despair and Tora wanted nothing more than to help him. Shifting, so that she looked human, Tora made her way over to him and sat down at his side.

“Tell me if I’m wrong, but parties are supposed to be fun and you don’t look like someone who’s had fun,” Tora said, earning a chuckle from the man and smiling.

“My friends were trying to cheer me up,” the man replied, looking over at her and returning her smile.

“Why would you need cheering up?”

“It’s a long story,” the man stated, returning his gaze to the flames and falling silent.

“I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to pry… you just looked like you could use someone to talk to,” Tora mumbled, feeling guilty for upsetting him.

“You don’t need to be sorry,” the man told her, “Have you ever been in love?”

“Unfortunately not.”

“Love is such a strong emotion and it can make you do the craziest things, but then, in a blink of an eye, you can find yourself heartbroken,” the man said, “I found the woman of my dreams or I thought I had, until she turned down my marriage proposal and crushed my heart in the process.”

“She’s stupid,” Tora added, “I don’t know you, but even I can tell that you’re a good person and you deserve better than the way she treated you.”

“Thank you… I’m Malik by the way.”

“My names Tora, it’s nice to meet you.”