Status: In the process of writing

42 Days

Miserable

I woke up unhappy. I don't even remember the last time I haven't woken up unhappy. I turn over to the right side of my bed, and I see my boyfriend of one year, William, sleeping soundly. 'How have I stayed with you for 12 months?' I thought to myself. 'Why do you have such a strong power over me to the point where you make me so weak whenever I want to leave you?'
Yesterday was our first year anniversary, but I wish it wasn't. As I look at him, I saw 365 days flash by, and then it suddenly hit me that the last time I woke up happy was a year ago.
"Oh, Angelina," I hear William say behind me, "how the time passes." I sigh. "I love you." He says. I don't say anything back, I just continue to get dressed to go to work. "What is wrong with you now?" He starts to raise his voice, "I thought last night went well, but as usual, you're acting miserable." I finally turn around and face him. I then start to approach him until I am only inches away from him. "William, my dear, for as long as I stay with you, shall I stay miserable, as I deserve the misery for being as stupid as to belong to you." I say in a soft, low voice while staring him right in the eyes. He rises from the bed, infuriated, and suddenly I feel a blow to the face. I gently gain my balance again and put one hand on the left side of my face that his hand has come into contact with. He starts to laugh wildely. "If anything, you should be eternally grateful that I gave you everything you currently have in life." He boasts. "A house, a car, a job. What else do you want?" I shake my head slowly. "You cannot buy my happiness. I should've left you long ago. The way you've treated me for the past year has been a nightmare." I said in pure sadness. "Then what has kept you with me if it wasn't for my money then, gold digger?" He asks furiously. I laugh at the term he used to insult me. Me? Gold digger? He clearly knows nothing about me since I've come from and been raised off nothing and find happiness in the simplest of things, until he came into my life and ruined my innocence. "It is because I love you. I have ever since high school. But I should've known better than to get involved with you years later." Once I say my final words, I walk out of my apartment. But, I promise myself that this would be the last time I do so, because I won't be returning.
I start driving in the opposite direction to where my job is situated. I feel free again, as if I am a bird soaring through the bright, yet polluted, sky of Madrid and nobody can catch me. The whole city starts to look different to me. It started to light up in my eyes, with a glow so bright that it blinds me. I see everything in a new perspective. For the first time since a year ago, I started to feel happy again.
"I need one ticket to the next flight that is leaving the airport." I demand the gate agent at the airport for. She looks at the big grin on my face and my unbrushed hair and finally says, "the next flight is going to Turin, Italy. Would you like a ticket there?" I quickly nod. As the gate agent processes everything, I start reevaluating my life and what it's turned into. I used to be such a beautiful, young and happy spirit. It's amazing how downhill everything has gone for me. Losing my mother, seeking comfort from someone that I thought I loved but ended up treating me worse, living as a robot on the daily. I began to receive a nostalgic feeling for my past.
I landed in Turin feeling something that I haven't ever even felt in my past, a rare kind of happiness, as if I've fallen in love with a city. 'Don't get too comfortable here though' I thought to myself, 'you're only here for three weeks, then it's on to a new journey.'