Sequel: Forever.

My Heart's Melodie

twenty-three

I felt a pair of arms go around my waist.

“Melodie, we have to go now,” he whispered.

I put my arms around his neck, and he lifted me up from the chair I had been in.

I sniffled a few times as he carried me down the hall and out of the hospital.

“Joe?” I mumbled into his shoulder.

“Yah?”

“Do you hate me?”

He seemed to think for a moment before responding. “If I hated you, would I be here for you right now?”

“No, I guess not,” I whispered, regretting my evening the day before.

“You know that I’m only disappointed in you, right? You really scared me this week. I only stay away from you like that because I’m afraid I’m causing your pain.”

I had never seen this side of Joe. He sounded more like a parent or older brother; not a best friend.

He carried me to his car in silence after that small discussion.

I suddenly felt alone. My dad was dead, my mom was in the hospital, and Joe was disappointed with my choices. But I felt an obligation, like that I couldn’t eat. Food felt horrible to me; I didn’t want to eat.

“Joe, I’m scared,” I whispered timidly. I started shaking in his arms; I was afraid of my own life.

He pulled me closer, not saying anything. The gentle rhythm of his walking eventually put me to sleep in his arms. I felt like I belonged there.

**--**--**

“James Thomason was a beloved father, husband, and brother,” the minister began. My mother was a mess; a tissue constantly covering her face as she sobbed into it. My arm was around her, comforting her. “It was a shame he died so young.”

Next to me, Joe was closing his eyes, seeming as if he was in his own world. I knew he was praying for my mom and I.

Mrs. Jonas was quietly talking to my mom, soothing her. It was just so hard for her.

After the funeral, my mom and I walked over to the mortuary so we could watch as they placed my dad’s ashes in a section of the wall. My mom silently cried into Mrs. Jonas’ shoulder, who was supporting her. I had no tears; I had already done all of my crying.

I knealt down to my dad’s section of the wall and placed the colorful boquet of flowers in front of it. I kissed the copper name plate, and stood up.

I walked outside in silence, sitting on a bench in the small garden outside of the mortuary. I put my head in my hands and prayed. Prayed about my family. Prayed about my dad; that he went to heaven. Prayed for his sins. Prayed and thanked God my mom was still alive. Prayed that Joe’s family would be there for my mom and I during our hardship.

I stayed there for a few minutes after I was done. Someone sat beside me, and pulled my shoulder over so my head was resting on his shoulder.

“Ready to go?” Joe asked quietly. I nodded.

He put his and around mine, and stood up, pulling me with him. He walked me to his car, where we got in and drove to the small reception for the after the funeral.

Dear God,
Thank you for Joe being there for me…..
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok this chapter was really emotional for me.
My two best friends' (one of them is Em dad just died a couple of months ago. It wasn't from a car accident, but it made me so sad. Em if you're reading this, I love you very much, and your big sis too (: