Untitled

Prologue

I was walking barefoot through the frozen forest. Everything around me was touched by the harsh winter: covered in snow and ice, just like my heart. Everything seemed dark and cold, like I was hollow and numb yet in so much pain at the same time.

Not physical pain, this was emotional pain, and that was what made it all the more excruciating. I spent every moment of every day planning the most efficient way to end it all, how to bring about my own demise.

My feet should have felt cold, been aching by now and covered in cuts and dirt, but I was numb to all pain except that of my heart and my aching soul. I couldn't even feel the pain from the open cuts criss-crossing my arms, weeping scarlet tears down my skin. As I marched slowly onwards, I reached the edge of a cliff. Instead of stopping at the edge, I did the exact opposite: I began to run. I plunged off the precipice, my body arching in a graceful curve as I dived head first, my hair billowing in the wind around my body.

At last, a small smile worked its way onto my face, I was going to die. And I was happy about it. I hit the ground hard 20 seconds later. I didn't feel a thing: I was absorbed into nothingness before the pain of my body splintering against the ground could wash over my senses.