Untitled

Chapter Ten

I woke up the next morning with a strange sense of anticipation. Something was going to happen today, I could feel it.

Stretching my aching body, I forced myself upright against the soft pillows behind me, barely holding back a groan of pain. My limbs were really failing me now...

As if he had known exactly when I would wake up, Minato appeared in the doorway, bright yellow hair glinting gold in the soft morning sunlight.

"Morning, Chiaki-chan."

I tried to force out a response, but my throat was so sore that the only sound released was a scratchy breath sound. Minato's brow furrowed.

"Are you okay? Does your throat hurt? Let me get you something to drink."

And he was gone...

Left on my own to think, I pondered over the actions of this strange boy. He was so kind and caring towards me, even though he knew I wasn't from this place, or any place that he knew. Also, I couldn't help thinking, if I was in his position I would definitely try to avoid making ties with the dying girl. It sounds awful, but why cause yourself more pain in the long run? He was certainly a stronger and more moral person than I was.

Minato reappeared holding a large glass full of water, with a plastic straw to make it easier to drink. He held it up towards my face, and placed the straw into my mouth, allowing me to draw the liquid into my mouth and down my throat. I could feel the icy cold water burning a pathway through my innards down into my stomach. It hurt so bad. I turned my face away: I couldn't stand to drink any more if it hurt that much.

This action caused the frown that Minato had been wearing to deepen further, concerned at my refusal. I tried to force the muscles in my face to create a small smile, but they wouldn't respond, pulling my features into a grimace. What is going on?

Suddenly, pain began to ripple all throughout my body.

The agonising waves started in my head, and emanated out across the rest of my being. I found that I couldn't breathe, my lungs being paralysed by pain. My tongue was swallowed by the taste of iron. Blood. My blood.

Not being able to control my muscles any longer, my back arched forwards, contorting my body into that of the trunk of a twisted old tree, with Minato clutching at my hand in an attempt to comfort me. It didn't work. I had never felt so much pain in my life. I could feel warm blood trickling out from my nose and ears now, and maybe from my eyes too.Or I was crying. Hopefully it was the latter.

I understood, now. Today was the day. I was going to die.

Regaining some semblance of control, I managed to contort my bloodied lips into a grotesque, gory smile. In the end, Minato had been there for me more than any other person I had ever known. I loved him for that. He was there for me when I needed him most, and helped me see that life was worth living, even if only for a brief, fleeting period of time.With those thoughts in my mind, I finally faded away, my heart grinding to a shuddering halt, ridding me of the awful pain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minato stood over the girl's pale, cold body. He still gripped her icy hand in his, even when the medic nin came to take away the body. He couldn't tear his eyes away from the beautiful smile on her face. Partially obscured by her own blood, he used his shirt to wipe it away. In death, she had achieved a peace she had never felt in life, but he had never felt so empty...