Untitled

Chapter Three

When I came to, I realised that I was now lying in a bed, with multiple tubes and wires attached to my arms with needles. Needles. Just the thought of the fact that there were multiple needles sticking into my arm made me cringe and begin shaking. Yep, not only do I have a stutter and OCD, I have a phobia of needles, and many other things as well. Aren't I just a wonderfully blessed child? Anyway, back onto the matter at hand. As my body began shaking, my heart rate also increased, causing a rapid beeping to go off on one of the machines I was hooked up to. The beeping was enough to set me off, causing waves of panic to spread throughout my body, making my breaths become mere short gasps as I fought to regain control of my senses. And then Minato arrived. At first he smiled, realising I was awake, but it soon turned into a worried frown upon realising my distress. He dropped the flowers he was holding onto the floor and rushed over to my bedside.

"What's wrong?" He rushed out, looking over my body for any signs of visible injury.

"N-n-n-needles" I managed to choke out, in between my hurried breaths.

"Needles? What about them?" He questioned, face contorting into a look of confusion.

"D-don't like them. S-scared" I forced out, a single tear sliding down my cheek. Minato's expression switched to a look of realisation. He stood up, and came closer towards the bed, and wrapped his arms around me, engulfing me in a warm hug. This simple action made me blush, and my heart beat even faster. "What the hell is wrong with me? I asked myself. Before my embarrassment could get any worse (if Minato had noticed that I was blushing) a nurse walked into the room.

"Oh dear! Are you alright honey?" The nurse asked, in a kindly tone, a look of worry creasing her brow. I shook my head, to indicate that I wasn't okay, then pointed at my arm. Minato took this as his cue to speak up.

"She's afraid of needles. If it's alright, could you possibly remove them now?"

An expression of understanding fluttered onto her features, before manifesting itself into a smile.

"Of course, lovie! I was just coming here to discharge you anyway!" At those words the nurse busied herself with removing all the needles invading my body.

"Now, I need you to take it easy for me, alright? You passed out due to extreme stress on your body, and we don't want a repeat of that! This young man here was extremely worried!" At that, I looked over at Minato and his face now resembled a tomato! Resisting the urge to giggle, I smiled at the nurse and responded.

"Of c-course! And M-minato? I'm s-sorry for w-worrying you!" With that, Minato turned bright red again, and started stuttering enough to rival me!

"I-it's a-alright! B-but if you f-feel ill a-again just t-tell me, okay?" I nodded a response, before standing up, as all the evil (yes, evil!) needles invading my arms were gone. Minato, seeing this, mirrored my actions and started to lead the way out of the hospital. It turned out we were on the third floor, which meant I had to walk down even more stairs! Eventually, after a twenty minute walk (Minato had got lost! What an idiot!), we reached Minato's home.

Minato struggled to open the door – he had the key upside down – and even then, the door was stuck. It took our combined weight to push it open, and then we realised what was blocking the door : a huge mountain of rubbish. I looked up at Minato, awestruck at his ability to be so messy! I found it strangely admirable, but it still played havoc with my OCD, sending shivers down my spine. Sensing my gaze, Minato giggled nervously (yes GIGGLED!! How manly!! not!) and blushed.

"Well you see, I tend to try to tidy things up when I get worried, and well, I'm not the best at tidying!" Minato choked out. I just smiled at this, but inside my stomach was overtaken by butterflies: he was worried about me? "Awwwwwwwww, how sweet, little Chiaki, or should I say Bethany, has a crush!"The voice reappeared, malicious intent obviously driving it to tease me. The worst thing was, I couldn't even deny it!

It felt strange for me to actually have tangible feelings for someone or something, other than hatred for myself or my father. For so many years I had been neglected by my parents, starved of familial love by their lack of attention. But by night, my Father turned into a demon, tormenting and abusing me for years. It got so bad that I literally felt nothing towards them: I didn't even hate my father, I got what I deserved. And don't get me started on the people at school. Let's just say that I felt even less than nothing for them: I can't stand the drama and bitchiness of other children, so I trained myself to block them out. I didn't even hear their voices when I attended school anymore. And there's another one of my "quirks", I was what the doctor's called, selectively deaf. This quirk obviously hadn't followed me to wherever I was now. Damn. Things could certainly get tricky now that emotions were involved.