To Catch a Firefly

FireFly

Night descended over the small patch of trees that sheltered the house from the public eye. With only the moon to bear witness a young women stepped outside onto the wet grass. It had rained earlier and as she walked over the blades beneath her feet, dozens of rain drops clung to her pale skin. When she was nearly to the edge of the trees she stopped and sat down.

And she waited.

And waited.

Soon she could barely see in front of her face as the sky completely darkened. Holding her breath she waited once more. It felt like years passed before she saw the first light flicker into existence. Then another. And another. Until the the area around her was set aglow from the light of the fireflies that had come out.

She let out a gasp of air as she watched the show above her head. Nothing compared to these moments for her. She treasured these memories to her heart. Carefully she laid back onto the grass not caring if her clothes grew damp. With a smile she closed her eyes, letting her mind take her back to another night. When she wasn't alone.

-

"Maria what are you doing?"

She turned and saw her mother standing behind her. A disappointed scowl lined her mothers face as she slowly turned and pointed towards the door.

"I wanted to go outside and play," She said the sound of children laughing and screaming drifting through the crack.

"Maria you know you cannot go play with those gutter snipes. A young lady never associates with those of a lower class. No come it is time for your dance lesson," Her mother said heaving a sigh.

She had no choice but to do as her mother bid. She was the only daughter of the richest family in the town. Her every move was planned for her. When she woke up. When she ate. What she wore. If it weren't for her weak heart she would disobey her mother. Would go out into the sunshine and feel the warmth on her skin.

Maria though didn't have the courage to do something like that on her own. The only times she looked forward to were at night. When the rest of the household slept she would creep out of her window and sidle down the roof. With no one watching she would fly down the small hill until she reached the tree line. With a final glance at her house she would dash through the wooden barrier letting her feet carry her to the one place she felt free.

When she would reach the lake she would nearly be out of breath. Her chest would hurt but it was all worth it. On the warm summer nights when she would be able to escape she would come here. With the open field in front of her she would take the last few precious steps until she was in the middle. Sitting on the cold ground she would wait until the fireflies came.

The memories of the fantastical displays before her were all that kept her warm during the bleak fall and winter months. She thought nothing would ever change.

Then one night he came.

He was the some of a local farmer. There was dirt in his hair. His clothes were torn and ragged. He was out of breath as he came racing into her field tears streaming down his face.

When she heard him Maria had jumped to her feet afraid it was her father or one of their servants. Instead it was Arthur.

At first neither could speak. There didn't seem to be enough words in the world to describe how the felt at that moment. Two children in the middle of a field at night. No one to bear witness to the different sorrows they each carried.

"Why are you crying?" She hadn't meant to speak but the words had jumped from her mouth.

"I'm not crying!" Arthur had shot back wiping at his eyes furiously.

"It's okay everyone cries," Maria had said before sitting back down, "Do you wanna see something amazing?"

"Like what?" He had asked.

"Come here and be quiet and you'll see," Was all Maria said beckoning him over.

That night they had watched the fireflies together. Arthur had loved them as much as she did. Watching them was an escape and for a few precious minutes it was only the two of them against the world.

After that night they would meet in that same field. As much as they could before the frosts set in. Even if there were no fireflies some nights they would talk. About everything that came to mind. Their families. Their dreams.

She had never felt like this with anyone before. She could be herself around this boy and not the person everyone expected her to be.

As they grew older they continued to meet in the field. It wasn't until her parents announced her engagement to the heir of another family that she realized what she felt. Arthur was the person she loved. The only one who saw her for who she really was. She didn't want to be with anyone but him.

And for once fate seemed to side with her.

Arthur loved her too.

On a night, much like the one they met, they vowed to love each other forever.

-

Opening her eyes she gazed at the fireflies drifting lazily above her head. She remembered the kisses they had exchanged. Those memories she treasured the most. She was about to get up and leave when she heard the sound of someone's footsteps approaching. Sitting up a smile lit her face as she took in the figure walking towards her.

"It took you long enough to get here," Maria teased as she stood.

"Well one of us had to live for the other so I don't think I had a choice in how long I took," Arthur replied shrugging as he walked towards her.

He looked the same as the day she had died. Even though that had been nearly eighty years ago. Even though they had promised to meet her heart had not lasted long enough to see him again. She had died the night after their vows were said.

She had waited however.

She could not leave the grounds that surrounded her home. So she waited for him to come for her. It seemed that now all the years she spent alone in the house waiting for him had come to and end. Because now he was here and there was no more reason for her to spend her summers alone. Not when the person she loved most in the world would now be by her side forever.