Whispers of the Moon

Preface and Chapter One

Preface

It’s cold out in the woods. I am lost. I hear nothing but I see eyes. Eyes filled with malicious intent staring at me from behind the darkness waiting for me to make a move. I don’t want to move but I know this can only end badly. I move and he gets me. I stay and he gets me. Either way there is no escaping but I must make a choice. I run. He will catch me anyways so I won’t go without a fight. My heart beat accelerates as I run for my life across the dark woods. The freezing wind hits my face, as do the small branches I fail to avoid. My legs hurt and scream in protest for me to stop but I can feel him chasing me. I try to run faster and faster but no matter how fast I run he keeps up with my pace.

I search for a way out but no matter where I look it's all the same. My foot is caught on the root of a tree and I fall down to the cold ground still moist from the recent rains. I try to late to break my fall with my hands but the small jagged rocks on the ground only make it worse. There is a sharp pain on my right knee that seems to have also landed on a sharp rock. I know he’s behind me I can feel his sickening presence. I can smell death and blood in the air as I struggle to get up and brush off the sticky mud from my clothes I look back towards him hoping he's not too close and doesn't notice or smell my fear. All I see are his cold emotionless eyes and the darkness surrounding them.

I'm slowly backing away from him and where I stand there is a light surrounding me. I gaze up and realize it's the moon. She calls to me and I feel drawn to her. She tells me that everything will be fine and I close my eyes and bask in her light as she melts away my pain and fear. Her comforting glow puts me at ease for a while. Everything disappears and I feel a sense of peace.

A horrifying growl interrupts my moment with her and I quickly stare back into the shadows. His black soulless eyes begin to move closer to me indicating that my time is up and he's here to take me. He lets out a monstrous howl. This is my end but she has prepared me. Despite the fear that has taken a hold of me I am ready. He lunges towards me and I can't contain my scream. Darkness surrounds me and I welcome it with open arms.

Chapter One

*Emily*

I wake up on my bed cold and shaking. I seem to have kicked my blanket off of me while running in my sleep. The same dream has been haunting me for the last couple of days. I don't know what it means but it feels so real and I can't seem to shake the feeling that something is about to happen whether good or bad is beyond me. Looking over at my alarm clock it shows it's well past eight so I must put my insecurities behind me for now and get ready for another day at work.

I’ve been living in this small town for about a month now, ever since my gran passed away and she left me the house. House is an understatement, this thing is a castle! With the trust fund she left me I don’t really need to work anymore but I love being at the library. I get to spend all day reading and escaping into a new world every time.

Already showered and dressed I get out of my fortress and go out to my car. Once inside I begin driving towards the library. Many people might grimace at being stuck in such a boring and quiet place but not me. I love books and not having to interact a lot with people really suits me.

Finally arriving at my destination I park my car under a tree for some shade and make my way up the steps to the front door. Once inside the cool air blows in my face and with it the calming smell of books. I take a deep breath and smile. As I pass the front desk I see Chris, from security, notice me and puts down the magazine he was reading with a smile on his face. He gets up and goes towards the second door in the building that leads to the main entrance for staff. He holds it open for me to pass.

"Hi, Miss Silver, how are you doing this morning?" he smiles at me and the dimple in his cheek makes him look adorable with his sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Hello, Chris, we have been knowing each other for about a month right?" I answer him trying to sound polite. He nods. “Very well then, do you think you can call me Emily?” He is a great guy and very charming and I think he may be interested in something but hasn’t gotten the courage to say anything. Plus seeing the type of girls he dates I'm surprised he's taken an interest in me.

I'm not ugly to say the least. I'm just average at 25 with long dark brown hair and pale white skin color. I’m a little over 5 feet and with more curves than I would like I'm not used to having much attention from men. The only thing that can really stand out from me would be my eyes. I have Alexandria’s genesis or violet eyes, they are very rare and a lot of people are fascinated by them.

"Sure, of course, Emily listen," he says to me as he nervously runs his hand through his hair making it more disheveled than it already was, "I have a couple of movie tickets and I was wondering if you might want to go." I stared at him not knowing what to say. Any sane girl would be crazy to turn down an offer from a guy that looked like him but thankfully I wasn't sane. I’m just waiting for that spark or a sign for the person who was meant for me or that I had an attraction to and unfortunately Chris didn’t make me want to rip off his clothes.

"I'm sorry Chris you're sweet but I just don't think that would be a good idea." Especially considering the fact that I know how you play around. The animation in his eyes seems to have gone down a bit but he quickly hides it.

"Well it was worth a shot, see you around Miss… umm… Emily." I nod and he waits for me to walk past him then goes back to sitting behind the desk to read his magazine.

I make my way over to the lockers in the back room and leave my things there and retrieve my workers badge. We just got a new shipment of books and it’s my main priority to sort them out. I walk through the double doors that lead out to the main checkout area and I pass my only friend here, Daisy. We met the first day I moved here and she helped me get a job at the library. I invited her over to my place for movies and girls night and we immediately bonded over our choice in music, erotic novels and food.

I notice she's talking to a really tall, muscular, and extremely good looking man who doesn't seem to be here for the books. He says something to her and her face turns almost as red as her hair. With her pale complexion it’s not hard to achieve.

It's strange how we are friends when we are so different. She has curly red locks that reach her lower back and has vibrant green eyes. Whereas I am curvy she is thin and very fragile looking. The only thing we seem to have in common is long hair and our height but she has been a very good friend and I wouldn’t trade her for the world.

As to not interrupt the moment she’s having with the man I wait for our eyes to meet quickly waive to her and continue on my way. The library is such a big building one might be able to get lost in there. Luckily I come to know it like the back of my hand in such short time. As I pass the romance novels section I hear a thud and a curse.

"Fuck!"

I hesitate in continuing on my way and just finally decide to see if anyone needed help. As I round the giant book shelves I stop dead in my tracks and gasp. I'm staring at an amazing ass in tight blue jeans that mold it to perfection. I don't believe I've ever seen him before. It would be hard to forget an ass like that. He turns around and once again I’m staring at places I shouldn’t be staring at. The sound of someone clearing their throat makes me quickly glance up as I’m brought out of my daydream and stare into a pair of amused gray piercing eyes.

Embarrassment and arousal immediately shoots through my body and my face turns red at being caught staring at him. He is very tall and muscular with a firm jaw and handsome features. He has shoulder length jet black hair that looks like silk and makes you want to run your hands through it while he does unspeakable thing to you. There is a long scar running down over his right eye. It’s not too harsh but it makes him look dangerous. He has nicely tanned skin like he’s used to being out in the sun instead of in a library reading books. He is packed with muscle and appears to be over 6 feet tall. With his squared jaw and chiseled features he looks like every woman’s walking wet dream. Coming back to the present I realize that we have just been staring at each other without saying anything.

"Sorry, I heard some noise and thought you needed help." I say as I point to the work badge over my left breast indicating that I work here and his gaze follows me there. My nipples harden and it's a good thing you can't tell through my shirt but his eyes remain there as if he can. He grins at me and gets a look of lust in his eyes as if he likes what he sees. My heart is pounding loud in my ears as I wait for him to respond. “I can see you’re ok I’ll just be on my way.” I say as I begin to turn around to go towards the storage area. Suddenly he grabs my arm and pulls me back against him.

"Mine." he growls at me in the sexiest pussy clenching voice and before I can protest his lips are covering mine in the most insanely wonderful kiss I’ve ever had. I open my mouth to allow him better access and he plunges his tongue in my mouth. He pulls my body closer to his and I feel the hard length of his cock pushing into my belly. I’ve been kissed before don’t get me wrong but never like this.

****

*Arsen*

Mine. I could hear my wolf growling in my head as I devoured the woman in my arms. My mate. I didn’t plan on kissing her senseless but I had to stop her from leaving and this was the first thing that came to mind. I can't help but growl when she opens her mouth and we start a tongue duel. The taste of strawberries and chocolate is forever engraved in my brain. Her scent is similar too, and I know I have smelled it before somewhere.

My hands start to roam down and I feel every luscious curve of her delectable body. I was never into those stick skinny women. I've always liked my women with a little something extra to hold on to. I can't take it anymore and I need to feel her skin next to mine or my wolf is bound to go crazy. I move my hands up her shirt and the only thing that's keeping me from reaching my goal is these bras women insist on wearing. I’m about to move it out of the way when she suddenly pushes me away. I growl and attempt to reach her again for I will not be denied.

"Stop," she sounds breathless as she tries to fix her shirt. "I work here and you need to stop or you're going to get me in trouble, besides I don't even know you." I know she's right but I just couldn't help myself.

"I know, I'm sorry," she seemed to relax at my apology, "My name is Valentine, Arsen Valentine." I could see how her exotic eyes widen as she immediately recognized my name. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Emily." That shocked her even more.

"H-How do you know my name?" I glance down at her breast were her name tag resides. "Oh, yeah." she turns the cutest shade of red. Her lips swollen from our recent kiss make me want to kiss her again. "Well, if you don't need anything, I'll be on my way." No you can’t go, you’re mine! I have to stop her but what do I do?

"There is something you can do for me." I blurt out before she leaves and she turns back to face me. "Have dinner with me?" she's staring at me with her mouth hanging open. I think I may have shocked her. Why? I don't understand she's gorgeous. Any guy would be lucky to be with her.

"I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" Was I not clear?

"I said have dinner with me." she's turning red again. Fucking cute.

"I don't think..."

"You don't want to have dinner with me?" Is she really turning me down? Does she have someone? I don't smell anyone on her but regardless my wolf doesn't like the idea of her with some other guy. "Is there someone else?" I can't help but ask.

"No it's not that... I... Why do you want to go out with me? I mean look at you, you can have any..." my wolf calms down after hearing she's unattached but I must put her insecurities at rest.

"I don't want just anyone... I want you." she keeps doing that blushing thing and I will not be held accountable for my actions. She's small even for a human but I love that. Her hair is long all the way to her ass and it makes me want to know what it would feel like rubbing across my legs when she's...

"Ok," she says interrupting my thoughts, "I would love to have dinner with you." I'm not really sure what to say so I just do what comes naturally to me and grab her again to seal my lips to hers. I've never tasted anything as good as her before. Soon she's melting into me before she realizes again where it is that we are. Pulling back she glances up at me, with those mesmerizing beautiful purple eyes, and takes a step back.

"I'll pick you up at 6." I hand her my cell so she can enter her number. "I'll message you so you can send me your address.” She nods and hands me back my phone. “See you later, baby.” I plant another quick kiss to her lips before I walk away and look for my brother, Dmitri, who made me tag along with him in search for his mate. I'm suddenly glad that he dragged me along.