Ground Zero

TWO

A lot can happen in a minute, given thirty...well that can just damn near end the world. Those words echoed in Bethany's head. They weren't her words but her brothers. Bethany still had lingering hope that she may one day see them again, but it was hard when they had been gone for so long. They said her instincts would always lead her true. Her instincts were telling her something big was going to happen.

Bethany watched as the others rifled through the duffel bags. Bolt cutters, spray paint and hammers were just some of the things that came flying out.

"Let’s get this party started!" Roseann shouted taking a can of spray paint in each hand. On the nearest glass panel she wrote Down with Animal Testing!

Bethany just stood there as the situation dawned on her. She thought these people were some kind of extremist group, possible terrorist but they weren’t. They were the ones that tried to make the world better through protest. Bethany chuckled, she felt lighter. Daxel had made everything sound so mysterious. Bethany couldn't help but laugh. She way overthought the situation.

Evan unwrapped a long, thin whistle, a dog whistle and brought it to his mouth. Mickey used a pair of cutters to open metal door leading into a closed off area, unable to be seen through the glass panels. As the door opened they were met with a wall of sound. Animal cries.

Josh smiled widely and took another pair of cutters and a spare bag and followed after Mickey.

"What should I do?" Bethany asked with an excited smile. Her fear had all but dissipated and wanted to help.

"Just stay out of the way." Agaica growled. She had a pair of cutters and some spray paint. She Brendon quickly headed out the door they entered through. The sound of another door being opened could be heard over the animals.

Bethany’s shoulders slumped forward. She felt useless. "Ignore her. She’s just upset your here. She’ll get used to you." Evan suddenly appeared at her shoulder. He didn’t look to happy she was there, but he looked tolerant.

Evan brought the whistle to his lips and blew hard. Bethany winced, expecting pain; no sound could be heard. The animals grew quite for a split second then rushed out of the room like a wild stampede.

The more exotic animals fled as quickly as possible out the doors that were left open. While the more domesticated animals, like dogs and cats swarmed around them. Most fled after a while, but four dogs hung around.

Bethany smiled as a puppy Pitbull attacked her shoe. She went to pick up, but abruptly pulled her hand back as the puppy bit her finger hard enough to draw blood. The puppy barked happily running between her legs and out the door. She went to back up and tripped over a pale furred Corgi.

"Careful." Evan quickly hauled her up by the arms before the Rottweiler and Saint Bernard could lick her to death.

"You okay." Daxel sided up next to Bethany and Evan, a worried frown creasing his face.

“Yeah.” Bethany held up her finger, there was a little drop of blood but nothing too bad. “No harm. The puppy was just being playful. Thanks.” She said to both Daxel and Evan. Evan retrieved two hammers from the bag.

“Here.” Evan held up a hammer for both of them. “Go have some fun.” Daxel wasted no time, but Bethany hesitated. She really didn’t want to participate in the destroying property.

"I’ll pass.” She looked at the dogs and quickly made up an excuse. “I will make sure the dogs stay out of underfoot.” Bethany gave the sweetest smile she could without it looking to fake.

“Okay. But if you change your mind I’ll be over there.” Daxel said with a smile. He went into a lab like room and quickly went at it.

"Hey Roseann!" Evan shouted. She stopped here spray painting. Evan waved the hammer at her. A smile lit up her face.

"Sure! Toss it." Evan didn't even hesitate. Roseanna quickly went into the lab room and helped Daxel. Liquid splashed everywhere; microscopes went flying, petri dishes shattered against walls. It was utter chaos.

"Hey Evan. I'm all set." Josh scamper out of the animal room with a happy grin on his face. Bethany had to calm down the dogs because they were getting excited because of Josh. Josh ran his hand over them then stopped in front of Bethany and Evan and pulled open his duffel bag. It let out a long hiss, causing Bethany to jump. She wasn’t too fawned of snakes.

"Good job.” Evan cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled, “We got five minutes to get out. Pack it up and let’s move out!"

Suddenly the lights flickered, alarms went off then everything went quite.

Agacia rushed into the room, followed by Brendon. They were covered in paint and some other wet looking stuff. "What was that?" Daxel and Roseann came out of the glass room with petri dish remains and liquid running off their hands.

Evan paused to take in the situation. Everything suddenly became very serious. Bethany nervously shifted from foot to foot. She had the Rottweiler by the collar in one hand the Corgi in the other. The Saint Bernard hovered beside her. Mickey slowly walked out of the extra room with a bird on his shoulder and a rat in his hand.

"I don't know, but let’s leave,” Evan suggested. Agacia and Roseann were out the door, quickly followed by Mickey, Brendon, Josh, and Evan. Daxel and Bethany were close on their tails. The dogs braked as they kept up.

Bethany was concerned something fishy was going on. Alarms don’t suddenly turn on to just turn off. She was starting to have doubts as to what they were doing there. Saving animals was one thing but vandalizing was another thing, especially when they had no idea what was being tested there.

They were running down the maze of corridors when she came to a sudden stop. She went to call for Daxel but he had already rounded the corner. Her stomach plummeted. The bio-hazard symbol was lite up. Bethany looked up when she heard footsteps. Evan stopped right next to her. He didn't notice the symbol. "Grab the dogs we need to go before someone gets here." He scooped up the Corgi and turned to leave, but Bethany caught his sleeve.

"I don't think anyone’s coming." Bethany pointed to the symbol. His confused and irritated look was quickly replaced by a horror stricken look.

"Mason said it was safe." Bethany barely heard him before he was flying down the hall yelling for them not to go outside. Bethany followed with the dogs at her heels. When she rounded the corner, it was too late. The door was open.