The Red Scare

One of One

INT. apartment 203 - early morning
Faint singing can be heard as the camera moves through the halls of the apartment. Turning a corner, Eleanor is revealed, sitting at her vanity, singing as she gets ready for the morning. She finishes, then moves to get dressed. Camera makes its way to the kitchen of the apartment in the same way as before. Halfway down the hall, heels can be heard clacking from behind, and Eleanor dashes into shot from behind the view of the camera. Rushed, she grabs an orange then gathers her briefcase and goes out the front door, closing it before the camera can follow her.
Subtitle fades in over black: Washington, DC - February 1950 Office of Senator Joseph McCarthy
EXT. Senator's office building
Eleanor waits in the car as the driver comes around to open the door for her. She exits, and tugs nervously at her pencil skirt as reporters flock to her with flashing cameras and voice recorders, throwing questions at her left and right. Suddenly, she finds her courage and pushes through them.
REPORTER 1
Ms. Morris, will you continue to support Senator McCarthy after the allegations he made earlier this month?
REPORTER 2
Is this supposed “list” legitimate? Where are the communists?
Eleanor stops at the top of the stairs to the building, turning to face the crowd. They all look on eagerly to await her responses.
ELEANOR
I will not be responding to any questions concerning me or the senator at this time. Thank you.
Fade to black as the camera zooms out over the building and the dispersing crowd as Eleanor enters the building
INT. office building, late morning
Eleanor busies herself with typing as her colleagues move around the space outside the senator’s office where her desk sits. Some give her funny looks, other continue on without a glance her way. She still continued to hear “communism” threaded throughout the conversations of everyone until the senator came in for the day.
McCARTHY
(distracted)
Did you finish writing up what I asked you to?
Eleanor disappears, moving outside the office and returns with a stack of paper before handing them to him.
ELEANOR
Sir?
McCarthy looks up from papers he was filing through.
ELEANOR
Is the list real? Are there actually communists among us?
McCarthy laughs.
McCARTHY
It doesn’t matter now, does it, Ms. Morris? What matters is that we bring down our enemies, abroad and in our own backyard. Right?
ELEANOR
Right, sir. I’ll let you get back to work, then.
♠ ♠ ♠
Something I decided to share from a creative writing class :)