The Fourth Kind

Another Nightmare

The moon had risen in the clear sky as night settled in. It was quiet and calm, only the sound of crickets and the hoots of owls filled the sound, as he settled into bed for the night. He had been having nightmares recently. Visions of a bright light and an unseen presence surrounding him. This night he had taken a sleeping medication, prescribed by his doctor, in hopes that maybe he would have a dreamless night. He nervously pulled back his bed cover and slid into bed, the legs of his pajama pants riding up as he pulled the blanket over his body. He shivered in the cold air and pulled the cover up to his chin. Reaching over, he turned his bed side lamp off and lay on his back, waiting patiently for the medication to settle into his system. He prayed for a good nights rest in the darkness of his room, and closed his eyes. As sleep crept up on him, his body relaxed and he began to snore softly. The quiet of the night calming him. Warm and tucked in, he fell gently into sleep.

He awoke to a buzzing sound in his right ear, only moments after drifting off into what he had hoped would be a dreamless slumber. A mute sound, much like ants on the television. Constant, it made the inside of his head itch and he raised his hand to scratch at the inside of his ear. Desperate to soothe the itch inside. Upon turning his head, he could faintly see a growing light under his bedroom door. A bright, white light, creeping closer. He felt his heart begin to race, and a cold sweat break out on his body, accompanied by goosebumps. He could not look away, the light pulled his vision towards it, not allowing for him to turn away. His hands gripped at his blankets, unable to take his eyes away from the ever nearing light.That unseen presence, he felt just beyond the door. His lips parted in gasps, a struggle to breath. His bedroom door pushed open, exposing the darkness of his bedroom to the blinding light, illuminating him in white. He squinted, and in an attempt at guarding his eyes, raised his arm to his face.

He felt his body being pushed back by invisible hands, a pressure to his chest as he lay back flat. His head hit his pillow, and he struggled to scream. A shadow emerged from the light to stand over him. A disfigured body. Long and thin it widened towards the top into a large head. With difficulty he took in deep, ragged breaths. The itch in his head, only worsening. He willed his arms to raise but they stayed. He had no control over his body and panic had risen in him. The being stood silently, staring down at him as he lay. Blank, large black eyes seemed to study him. He felt a pull at his chest and he was lifted from his bed, a feeling similar to the downward spiral of a roller coaster. He continued to will his body to move, to scream, to do anything. But, nothing came of his struggles.

All the while, the silence was now deafening. He heard nothing, it was as if someone had hit the mute button on the remote. No noise, no nothing. Just that buzzing in his ear, that itch he needed to scratch. He could feel it in his brain now. His eyes, unable to close burned and watered. He felt himself raised into the air. He could see the earth around him. Raised above his home, through the trees and into the clear black sky, before everything went black.

He awoke in a cold sweat. Glancing quickly around he found himself in bed, in his home. In the darkness, his bedroom door was closed. The silence had stopped. The call of crickets heard just outside of his window. The hooting of owls off in the distance. He held his chest. The itching in his head had stopped. His throat was horse and felt raw. Looking at the clock, it was just an hour before the sun was to rise. He could see the tell tale colors of a rising sun illuminating his curtains. Laying back in his bed, he pulled the covers over his body, unable to close his eyes, in fear, he stared at the ceiling.Memories of grey beings, a white room and doctors table, flashed before his eyes. He groaned, as the headache started in his temple and slowly moved to behind his ears. He gripped his head and rolled to press his face into the pillow. It took only moments for the pain to dull enough for him to sit back up and try and calm his beating heart.

Another night mare.