Status: Contest Entry

A Gift

we had you and now we have everything.

It had been twenty seven hours since Elise had gone into labor, twenty seven long hours of dosing off in the waiting room and drinking enough coffee that it probably replaced the blood in his veins. She had tried to send him home, knowing how jet-lagged and exhausted he was but he refused to step foot outside the hospital. Mainly because he wanted to be there and be the first person aside from Elise and hospital staff to hold his newborn child and because it was so scorching hot outside that he swore the road was melting. He stationed himself by the window, watching as people hurried into the hospital to get away from the unusually hot weather in New York. The weather normally didn’t get blazing until July and early September before it made a drastic drop and everyone was wearing winter coats by October.

A smile crept on his lips as he thought about what his summer was going to entail. He had taken the liberty of not signing up for any more projects until he was needed. Sebastian wanted to spend as much time as he could with Elise and their little squirt to make up for lost time. He felt crazy to be looking forward to sleepless nights and the sound of a crying infant. This was a game changer, he was going to be a father and there was nowhere to hide. He envisioned his arms with a whimpering baby and the love of his life by his side. It would be the perfect place to be. Sure, he wanted to travel somewhere far less humid and more beachy but staying in his loft in New York with his baby and fiancée was just as good.

He was interrupted by his thoughts, “Mr. Stan?” Turning around, he was met with a nurse in light pink scrubs. “Would you like to see your fiancée now?” Motioning for him to follow her, she gave him updates. “It was a very successful birth; I won’t spoil the surprise since I know you two decided to wait to see what you would be having.” Reaching the room where his love was housed, she smiled, “Congratulations Mr. Stan. I’ll be bringing the baby back by when we’re finished with our standard testing in the nursery unit. It won’t take but just a moment.”

Thanking the nurse, he stepped inside the room and closed the door behind him. He smiled as he met the gaze of a very worn out brunette, wasting no time in rushing to her bedside, he planted a kiss on her lips. His hand stroking her damp hair, “How are you feeling, comoară?”

“As good as I look,” she croaked.

“Well, te uiți întotdeauna frumos.” He pulled up a chair, still stroking her hair. He had to give it to her, being in labor for twenty seven hours sounded rough and painful but it was all worth it. “You sure you’re okay? Do you need anything?”

She shook her head, smiling weakly. “Just you, dragă mea.” Elise tried to sit up, wincing at the little painful shocks that resonated in her nether regions as she reached for a cup of water. “I hope you’re okay with having just one child because I don’t think I can do that ever again.” She chuckled, her hand resting on her deflated belly, feeling weird to have been accustomed to having something growing inside to having nothing at all.

Sebastian matched her chuckle, taking her free hand and kissing it lightly. “As long as I always have you two, then it’s fine by me, comoară.” Rubbing her hand, he squinted his eyes, “So, what did we have? O fată sau un băiat?”

Elise smiled, her eyes crinkling, reaching for a paper opposite of Sebastian, she handed it to him. “You need to sign this.” She couldn’t believe that she was a mother and that Sebastian was the father of her beautiful healthy baby, it made her relish in the moment, never wanting it to end. It was definitely the most happiest day of her life or until she would say her vows to the man who would forever father her child.

This certifies that
Iuliana Ivy Stan
was born to
Elise Mae Whitman and Sebastian Stan
on June 13th 2016 at 4:04pm
weight 7lb 4oz / length 51.4cm
at NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital
in Manhattan, New York


He glanced up from the birth certificate, his body filling with so much joy that he couldn’t explain it any other way other than a smile on his face. He beamed with happiness, “Iuliana,” he murmured, giving a soft chuckle, he raised a brow, “What happened to wanting an American name?”

“She didn’t look like a Paige or a Natalie.” Holding out her hand, she squeezed his once he took it. “And she looks like she’ll be inheriting her father’s blue eyes so I decided to go with the name you mentioned awhile back.”

Sebastian was about to respond but the soft knocking of the door caught his attention. Looking up from Elise, his eyes were glued on the cradle that was being wheeled into the room. Standing up and letting her hand slip from his slowly, he cautiously walked over towards the baby that was wrapped in a blanket. His heart raced, this was the moment where his life was actually about to change forever. His heart swelled with unexplained feelings once she was placed in his arms, looking down at her pretty olive skin and the bluish gray eyes, there was nothing in this world that he loved more than the two girls in the room with him. Sebastian couldn’t stop staring, she was beautiful just like her mother. Walking ever so carefully back to Elise, he sat on the bed, his eyes never leaving the infants as he wrapped one arm around his fiancée.

“Isn’t she beautiful?” Elise breathed, leaning her head against him as she too couldn’t keep her eyes off of her.

Foarte,” he breathed. Placing a small kiss on her the tiny head, he smiled down at Elise. Nodding as he spoke, “I’m perfectly happy with just one. I don’t think I could ever love another being as much as I love you two right now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comoară: love
te uiți întotdeauna frumos: you always look beautiful
dragă mea: my love
O fată sau un băiat: a girl or boy
Foarte: very

Iuliana is pronounced ule-ee-an-na. The I is completely silent.

completed