Just Us

2012

I was halfway down the aisle before I saw you and I stopped dead in my tracks. Leah and Aubrey crashed into my back and I tried to pull myself together as I continued toward the altar. I'd had a dream about you recently and then there you were, looking as handsome as ever. Your suit was grey, your red paisley tie matched your pocket square, and you'd grown out your hair so that the spiral curls just touched the top of your collar. I took my place in front of the altar and did my best not to cry as I watched my best friend stroll down the aisle on the arm of her father.

Soon, she became Mrs. Grace Gordon and both sides of the church clapped and blew the newlyweds kisses.

When I finally arrived to the reception hall, I went straight to the bar. A few glasses of champagne promised to calm my nerves about, once again, being in the same room as you. I made eye contact with you as soon as you walked in. You smiled at me. I think I smiled back but it might have looked like a grimace.
There was dancing and more drinking and a few toasts but you kept your distance until I was sufficiently buzzed. I saw you say something to Malachi before you got up from your table. You nodded toward me then the door. I wished that Grace hadn't been caught up in her marital bliss so that she could've saved me, or at least talked some sense into me. But she was busy kissing her new husband and the champagne told me that I'd be fine. I made my toward the door I saw you slip through. The indoor garden you were waiting in had been done up with lights and the fountains were going. I found myself thinking it was an upgrade from the orange grove.

"You look amazing."

I looked away as you toyed with the tiny curl above my ear. Your cologne stood out from all of the floral scents and it made my head swim. You pulled me close and wrapped one arm around my waist and held my right arm out to the side. The music was faint in the garden but we still swayed slowly to the rhythm.

"I thought about you," I said quietly.

I looked up and you smiled knowingly. "Should we blow this Popsicle stand?"

You kissed me tenderly like it was a promise of what else you had in store. We held hands as we left the hall, not bothering to stay for cake or to say good night to anyone. Your hotel room was on the grander side but I didn't have much time to appreciate the decor before your lips were on mine. Our hands couldn't stay still and I'm sure you ripped the zipper of my dress. It wasn't until I was naked and lying on the king sized bed that you stopped to take a breath. You tossed your shirt aside and there was a wicked look in your eyes.

"I'm not going to rush this," you said, pulling off your belt. "We have all night."

You started at my feet, worshipping me with kisses and reacquainting yourself with the taste of my skin. I'm certain I was dripping between my legs by the time you reach my neck. We made love slowly and thoroughly, first in the bed, then on the couch, then the coffee table, the desk, the bar, and the shower before returning to the bed. I could've died that very moment and would've gone with a smile on my face.

The next day was more of the same- sex, room service, and direct TV. Neither of us wanted to talk about what we were actually doing or what would happen once we left that hotel room and all too quickly, the weekend was over and I had to return to my last semester as an undergrad.

"My number is still the same," I said as we pulled into my parents' driveway.

The look on your face wasn't one I had ever seen before. You didn't seem too sure about what you wanted to say but realization dawned on me.

You weren't going to call.

"I... Her name is Eva."

I couldn't have given a rat's fat ass what your girlfriend's name was. I got out of your car before you could say anything like 'I'm sorry' or 'but I'm leaving her for you.' I'm not sure it would've made a difference. I thought by then we could stop hurting each other but I was wrong. The cloud that you'd let me soar on for the past two days dissipated and once I was safely locked in my bedroom, I fell to my knees and cried.
♠ ♠ ♠
In case you didn't want to leave the characters' physical appearance up to your imagination...
Malia
Alejandro