‹ Prequel: Tarnished Crown
Status: Fin. <3

Tangled Hearts

Chapter Ten

Somehow, Rhett was walking Lara home again. It seemed he couldn’t go outside without encountering her, ever since she stepped foot in Aegaera. For the most part, she was silent. Baby trotted happily beside her, still glowing from all the attention he’d gotten from the girls. It had been difficult to tear him away, and even more difficult to keep the girls from following them out. Eventually, Lara was the one to speak.

“So, that was your family, in a sense?” she asked.

“Katia took me in as a child,” he nodded.

“So, are you going to continue being mysterious about it until I find out through someone else, or are you going to tell me where you’re from?” Lara asked. “It’s not like I’m going to spread gossip about you. I never actually talk about you.”

“There isn’t much to tell,” Rhett shrugged.

“Well, you can tell, or we can walk in awkward silence,” she said. “Come on, Rhett, don’t be such a drama queen.”

“Fine,” he sighed. “Yeah, as you know, I was born in a prison cell. My mother was in there for stealing, I think. There are five possible men who could be my father. None of them are anything worth having around, so I didn’t bother looking into which one. Anyways, after I was born, my mother couldn’t keep me, they sent me to an orphanage. I wasn’t given a chance with adoption, because she made them promise she could have me back as soon as she got out. Four years later, she got out, but she never came for me. Must’ve forgotten, I guess. I stuck around in that orphanage for a few more years, but when I was seven, I ran away and tried living on the streets. It was a rough neighborhood, so I only lasted a few months before some older boys beat me up for what little money I had. They pushed me in front of a passing cart and I didn’t get out of the way fast enough, so it went over one of my legs. No one stopped or cared, so I was stuck there for an entire night, in the mud.”

“A cart ran over your leg?” Lara asked, arching a brow.”

“It sure did,” Rhett said, stopping and standing straight, pointing down at his right leg. “See how this knee looks slightly different than the other one?”

Lara examined it for a moment, then nodded, just a slight amused smile playing on her lips. “Huh. Maybe you’re not lying. Do continue.”

“I passed out from the pain,” Rhett continued. “Sister Katia is the one who found me first. She was much younger then, obviously. She wasn’t taking care of anyone, yet. She’d been going door to door, offering help from the temple to those in need. For the most part, getting doors slammed in her face. She found me unconscious and carried me back to the nearest hospital. All the women pitched in to help pay for my medical attention. I was stubborn at the time, and refused to look at them or talk to them. I thought that Light was stupid. Complete bullshit. But these women took care of me anyways, and while the doctors said I’d never walk again, they put me on a crutch and encouraged me to try anyways. After the hospital released me, I hobbled my way back to the abbey with them on that crutch, since they refused to let me live on the streets, let me sleep there. I was just a kid, so I was no threat to the girls. It turns out they weren’t as ridiculous as I thought. I met another girl there my age. Naia. You two were never properly introduced, but she was my childhood best friend. Still a very good friend today. The more time I spent with them, the more open I was to the idea of Light. They didn’t force me into anything.”

“You chose that path on your own?” Lara asked.

“You’re never going to take me seriously,” Rhett smirked.

“Try me.”

“Well, I wandered to the temple by myself one day,” Rhett said. “I was practicing walking without the crutch, and I ended up right up inside, while no one was around. Being inside the temple is an experience on its own. There was very faint singing from a different room, that echoed through the room. Sunlight was spilling in through stained glass windows, and left golden images all over the walls and floor. And then there was the altar itself. If you’ve never seen one, there’s always a massive altarpiece made of solid gold and diamonds. The altarpiece by itself could probably buy the castle, though it’s a holy piece and no one is that disrespectful. There’s gold curtains that billow just slightly. Gently. And at that moment, I looked up at that nine-pointed star and I felt all my pain go away, both physical and mental. Soon after, I could walk again. And then I could run. From then, I knew that I owed everything. Not just to Light, but to the Lumina. Light gave me the hope and energy I needed, but those women are the ones who saved my leg, and my life.”

He turned to look at Lara staring at him with an expression he couldn’t read. She wasn’t laughing at him, but she didn’t seem to completely believe that magical, spiritual moment, either.

“Huh. I wasn’t expecting a story like that,” she admitted. “You’re still crazy in my eyes, though. Maybe slightly less crazy, since you did almost lose your leg, but still crazy. I kind of wish you did lose it though.”

“Why’s that?” he asked.

“If you only had one leg, you wouldn’t be following me around and walking me home all the time,” she said, flicking his nose.

“Yeah, well, maybe it’s not completely bad,” he shrugged. “At least I’m absolutely adorable.”

“Deplorable,” she corrected. “Anyways, what about after that?”

“After that?” he frowned. “Not much happened. I lived in the abbey with them until I was about thirteen, and the elders decided I couldn’t live with the girls anymore. They were all like sisters to me, no more, but I suppose I can understand that fear of hormones. They tried to set me up with a nice family in Esper, but I went off on my own for a little while. I wanted to learn about culture, and how to take care of myself. Sort of like Gina, but they were less strict about what I was up to. I learned a lot about life. About love. When I was about nineteen years old, I had myself an encounter with our very own King Alec. He was impressed with my strategizing, and decided to put me to work. Here I am now.”

“Before that?”

“Pardon?”

“Well, you told me about your childhood and your adulthood,” she pointed out. “What about that big chunk of years in between?”

“Nothing happened,” he shrugged. “Nothing worth telling. I could tell you about the first time I touched myself, if you want. Or the first time I found hair growing on my body. And exactly where it was-”

“No, I don’t want to hear about that,” she said, wrinkling her nose.

“Then you don’t want to hear about those years,” he smirked.

She didn’t question him any further, but Rhett sensed suspicion when she looked at him. Eventually, he made it outside her house, sidestepping out of the massive wolf-dog’s way so he wouldn’t cause any trouble.

“Thank you again for helping Gina,” he said. “I’ll personally keep a closer eye on her.”

“Yeah. Do that,” she agreed.

“Say, if you’re ever curious, I’m happy to show you the temple,” he told her. “No attachment to it required, of course. I won’t make you pray, or anything like that. You just looked interested when I was describing the altar.”

“No,” she said, shaking her head. “I don’t care about that ridiculous waste of time, following every flicker of a candle that has the tiniest amount of light coming from it.”

Rhett studied her face, and while her words told him to fuck off, her eyes told a different story. She didn’t have much else to do. She’d never admit it out loud, but she was pretty lonely in Aegaera. However, Rhett didn’t bring this to attention. He just shrugged and gave her a crooked half smile.

“Well, if you ever change your mind, you know where I am,” he told her.

“Yeah,” she said.

She closed the door in Rhett’s face, nearly hitting him in the nose, but he flinched back before it hit. He turned to leave, but the door cracked open and she peeked out, just opening it enough to see her face.

“Thanks for walking me home, I guess. Even if you just did it because you had to.”

“You’re welcome.”

“I still wish you lost your leg. It would’ve been a more interesting story.”

“Goodnight, Lara.”

“Goodnight.”